Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old    mcbean7            04-09-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a 1988 Ski Centurion with approx. 700 hrs., good condition throughout. Anyone have one of these? How is the quality of construction (how does it hold up over time)? How is the wake?
I'm a novice skiier and wakeboarder so I don't need the flattest or biggest wake.
Thanks in advance.
Old     (jimzgirly)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
Our family was the original owners of an 86 Centurion and we loved it. Sold it a couple years ago and bought a new one. The wake is more for a skiier, but works for a wakeboarder as well. We had a lot of fun behind ours wakeboarding and skiing. At the time we were novice and had plenty of fun behind it. The gel coat on ours was perfect and held up well over time, but was stored indoors at all times. In the 20 years we had it we rebuilt the engine once and redid the carpet and vinyl once. I think it is a great boat and you will have much fun with it.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
dude it will get you out there. Thats all that matters for now. (see profile pic)
Old    mcbean7            04-10-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the trigger and bought the boat last night. Can't wait to get her in the water.

nEwJ HoSeR-I really like the tower you got on yours? What year is your Centurion and what kind of tower is that? That's exactly the tower I'm looking to put on it?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-10-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
sweet! congrats on the boat! (tower looks like a proflight swoop.)

Question for older centurion owners: these boats aren't the size of newer centurions, but how's the surf wake there on the older ones?
Old     (jimzgirly)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
The hull is a lot different in the new boats as compared to the old, the V is very deep, which makes for a smoother ride and bigger wake. Our older centurion did not have much of a wake behind it, but the surf wake is there enough to surf with.

JP - Congrats on the boat, you will have tons of fun..
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
It's a 1993 Ski Centurion Falcon XP. The tower is a Pro Flight. The previous owner put it on. Also thanks for the first ever compliment on my boat. 8 grand and a couple fat sacs and i'm having as much fun as anyone. Heres a better pic of the towerUpload
Old    Ben Kerran            04-10-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Hoser- Then I would like to be the second to give you some props on the boat. Your falcon has great lines and the vents on the bow make it look like an F-16 or something. I like. Not to mention the even more important fact you are on the water having fun.

JP- Congrats on your new ride. Where's the pics?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-10-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Hoser, i agree. The boat looks great. Ironically, the color scheme on your boat looks 10 times better than the similar color scheme on the newer Centurions. and, something about the low bow makes them look sexy.

JP might be playin hookie today. I would..
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliments nacho and 8tens. JP to further answer your question, the construction is solid. There are a few things that are to be expected when it comes to wake. Obviously it was designed for skiing so the wake flattens out above 25 or 26. But 21 to 24 is a great beginner/intermediate wake to learn on. I am currently dialing in the wake with 2 600 lb. side sacks. If I don't sink it, i'll try to get you some pics of the wake. If you found one for a good price I say why not. Just to gauge, mine had 380 hrs on it and I paid $8500. I have only added the wetbox tower speakers. Other than that the 351W motor runs strong and consistent. Good luck
Old    mcbean7            04-10-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
thanks to everyone who responded. I'm stoked to put her in the water. Since this is my first boat I need to learn how to operate/maintain/launch/load/tow this thing!
nEwJ HoSeR-thanks for the info on the tower...it's exactly what I'm looking for. The boat I bought is a 1988 with about 800 hrs on it, one owner, the guy really babied this thing. The steering and throttle cables were recently replaced. Engine is spotless. Interior and exterior in excellent condition (minor fading here and there, a little tear in the passenger seat). Trailer in great shape, no dents, dings, rust. I picked this boat up for $6000. It was the best condition boat within my price range. I hope I did ok.
8tens-Here are some pics. I hope they are big enough to see. if not i'll take high res pics.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Change impeller, and do annual service regardless who owned it, before putting it into the water. Sweet buy, You will have a great summer.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

And make sure you change the fuel filter/water seperator. It made a huge difference for me.

Looks like a great boat. Nice price too.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-10-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
nEwJ_HoSeR (tinytdubb)

That Falcon looks Fantastic!
That Graphic and Color combo looks like it could be on a 2008 model!
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
Jp,

Congrats man,

Those pics bring back some OLD memories!! I had an 87 Ski Centurion Tru-Trac II. Looks like you have an 88 model of the Tru-Trac, Vanson trailer and all!!

Boy, did we ever have some good times out on that thing! I was 18-19 years old and it was my first boat...

Hope you have fun with it!!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
Kevin thanks

JP- Im thinking your going to have a shot a a pretty good wake with your new boat. The hull is a much deeper V than mine. Have you investigated a tower yet?
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
nEw HoSeR-I'll be looking into the Pro Flight towers. I really like the one you got on yours. Looking to put the same style on mine.
Thanks to all for the service advice...I'll get all those things done before getting her wet. Hoping to get her in the water this sunday since it's going to be in the mid 90's here in AZ but I guess I can't since I won't be able to get all the maintenance stuff done by then.
Tim-thanks. This is my first boat and I'm hoping it will serve me well.
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Jason-are you from AZ? Where abouts?
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
To All-with 800 hrs on the motor...should I be concerned about anything major going out? Any common mechanical problems around this time?
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
Alternator probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change before you need to. Adios the starter too if it sounds week... By the way changing that impellar takes roughly 5 minutes .....if you take your time
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-11-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
nothing to worry about on the engine. Should be good for another 1000 hours. nice buy.
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
nacho-glad to hear. thanks. I'm hoping to keep up with all the maintenance stuff to keep her healthy for many more hours.
I've got a 351 Ford motor. Now, for alternator and starter, can I use stuff from Autozone or does it need to be marine grade parts?
Also-what do you guys do for routine maintenance? How many hours before oil change?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-11-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
you will hear 50 hrs as the standard for inboard oil change. I change mine at 25 b/c its usually loaded down putting out more torque at higher rpm. basically the oil breaks down faster.

I wouldn't mess with the starter or alt until you have a problem. you could get the alt bench tested to see what condition its in if you're worried about it. couple bolts, a wire and its off. Unless the starter was submerged, you shouldn't have a problem with it either.

alternator definitely needs to be marinized if you decide to replace. Get yours rewound if you need it.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-11-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Way to rock the 80's closed bow! I have 14k into mine and couldn't be happier. Check out Wake Air for a tower.
Upload
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
fatsac-sweet looking boat! I'm really surprised to see some of these 18-20 year old boats looking like new. I like the tower too.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
Great $6K find. Get a tower, some sacs, and consider Perfect Pass if budget permits and you will have a great set up for the money.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-11-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
What is cool about this site is that you have a bunch of feaks about how we maintain and clean our boats. We take care of them as if we will have them forever, then you see "the youngsters" getting their first boats that are 15-20 years old and they look like new.

Circle of life I guess. But it is pretty cool.
Old     (dave_m)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
I bought mine for $6k and put another $2k into ballast, tower, and a stereo. It has been a great boat to learn behind and its easy on the gas. Upload
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-13-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
dave, i can see you have pyle audio speakers

how do they sound
i just bought some and im curious to how they are, (dont have an amp yet)

but can you hear them while riding

and what amp did you get

...sorry for all the questions