Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
this question is for anyone that has had a acl reconstruction.

i got my surgery on wednesday, they also trimmed up my meniscus, they wanted me togo to physical theropy on friday so i did. my knee was feeling less ache and painful, and all of a sudded saturday night i've been having shooting pains like someone is stabbing me w/ a pen in my knee.

is this normal? when should my knee and hamstring start feeling better, my knee aches, my foot is swollen, i cant do crap.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       11-14-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Be patient man, it will get better. What you're going through sounds pretty normal (at least from my experience). It hasn't even been a week since you had a drill go through the middle of your knee, there will be pain.

Just wait until you really start to push the rehab here in a couple of short weeks.. good times! Keep your head up and buy yourself a new wake video to get you through it. Spring/summer will be here before you know it.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
yeah i also forgot to mention that i have extremem pain when i try to go vertical to go to the bathroom, first couple days didnt feel like that i felt ok, but now its just super throbing.

i feel like im behind schedule though w/ what PT says and dr and stuff.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Chill dude, you're gonna be fine. Unless the doctor told you the surgery was not successful.

What are you taking for painkillers? I remember the pain got strong after the second day and stayed for a few more as my brain started receiving signals from that area again. I think it took a day or so for that area to get going after the anaesthetic.

I also remmember sharp pain, throbing etc for a few weeks but in smaller doses each day. By day 4, I had stopped taking Percoset and just took Tylenol 3 for about another week, then I just accepted whatever else came my way.

Don't rush things. The Doctors seem to have a competition for how fast people can get back on their feet. I don't buy it. A pro football player takes a year to recover back to pro level and most of those guys have a trainer for 2-3 hours a day. If you don't have the same luxury, take it slow. I had surgery in August 2001 and rode in the summer of 2002 but really didn't start pushing myself hard again until 2003. I rode 2-3 times a week this summer and didn't have any problems. You will get better!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
yeah im on Vicidon, surgery was weds, i took it after surgery, thursday i tryed not to take it, but physical theropy was friday and they gave me the excercises to do. took it friday, and took it light on saturday, saturday night the knee has sharp pains that made me almost cry like a little girl, took 2 vicidons to sleep, sunday was the same pain, today is the same kinda pain. i havent done the excercises since saturday because it hurts so damn much. especially when i get out of bed to pee when my leg is not elevated its crazy pain.

yeah i just feel that the doc could be rushing it, 2 days PT, the PT told me they usually dont see ACL people in until 2 weeks after surgery let alone 2 days. but im only 22 so maybe that has to do w/ it. but i also had the hamstring gaft which i heard is alot slower recovery time.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-14-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Phil,
Use the pain meds to help you stay comfortable so your body can relax. If you take it sporadically, you will just frustrate yourself because you won't be controling the level of pain, which slows the healing process.

Remember, ACL reconstruction is a very instrusive procedure and the recovery process shouldn't be rushed, otherwise, your graft might not set properly and you'll be back in the O.R. again. Also, people recover at very different rates so don't compare your recovery time to others, you can drive yourself crazy that way. Since you had meniscus repair also, that will add some time to your overall recovery.

The first 3 months will be up and down, but be patient. I'm now 19 months post-op and my knee is starting to feel like it was before the surgery. I got back on the water 6 months post-op but doing nothing but ride the board & wake surf (no impact. I started back riding hard 11 months post-op and haven't had anything feel bad that's out of the ordinary.

When your cleared to do so, you will have to work hard at regaining your hamstring strength. This is something that you will constantly need to work on. Hamstring strength & flexibilty is important for stabilizing on landings, even soft ones so don't ignore it. If you don't constantly work at it, it will never get back to where it needs to be.

I know this is more info then you asked for so I apologize for my rambling, but I hope it helps you a little in your recovery process. Best of luck & welcome to the ACL club.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
more info the better, im feeling really down and out, and you guys are helping me cope w/ the pain.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-14-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hey man. I hope you feel better. I have to get an artificial disk in my back, I am so not looking forward to that.

Hope the recovery goes well man. Good luck, keep your head up and take pain killers :-)
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       11-14-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
I'm just going on 2 weeks on my getting my right knee done, but I had a complication and the dr. ended up scoping out some arthritis. crap. Sucks cuz I have to keep all weight off it for 6 weeks total.

Anyway, I have virtually no pain but I'm not really rehabbing, either. I had my left knee done about 7 years ago and I remember rehab put the smack down on me good. LOTS of icing kept me in the game.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd GLADLY trade searing pain for 6 weeks of virtual inactivity. Pisses me off I can't start real rehab for another 4 weeks, but I guess it's good I got my knee cleaned up. Hang tough!!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-14-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Phil,
One last important thing I forgot to tell you. Around week 6-8, you should start to see some real progress and your knee will start to feel stronger, so you may get anxious to get a little more aggressive on it, DON'T.
I believe the period between week 8-12 is when the graft is at it's weakest because the Hamstring tendon cells are dying and rebuilding as a ligament. My roommate has assisted in hundreds of ACL operations so he gave me all the necessary info after my surgery.

As for feeling down, change that around right away. One of the key things to a full and faster recovery is keeping a positive attitude about the situation. It keeps you motivated and directed at what your goals are, which should be to get back on the water stronger then ever, right? Once you are back on the water charging it hard, you will learn quickly how much you appreciate every moment on the water. I know I felt that way, and choppy water no longer deterred me from taking a set
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       11-14-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Ryan made a good point, stay ahead of the pain in regards to painkillers. Now is not the time to be a man and take the pain. Whatever inclinations you have (if any) about taking pain meds should go out the window with this surgery.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-14-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
I'm 7.5 weeks out and can tell you it does get better. I didn't start re-hab till 2 weeks out though. It also depends on what they are having you do at re-hab. Your first goal is to get full range of motion back. once you get that you should start on getting your strength back. Question, did you have a hamstring, patella, or cadaver tendon used? If it was hamstring like it sounds you definitely should not push it too hard. The hamstring takes a little longer to heal than say a patella tendon, because it has no bone on the ends like a patella tendon, and bone to bone heals faster than bone to tendon. Like everyone else said, take those meds don't be tough. Just look forward to next year, If you re-hab hard you can be back at 100% with a brace by june next year.
Old     (midwest_militia)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-14-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
I know exactly how you feel man. Had ACL Reconstruction last May and had a bucket handle tear on my meniscus that had to be sutured back in place. Think about it, they drilled 2 screws into your bones and ripped part of your hamstring out and chopped at your meniscus. You werent in pain the the first few days cuz your morphine was wearing off, once it does stay on the vicoden untill its all gone (the recommended dose). My pain was mostly at night trying to sleep it would just throb. Even the therapy will be frustrating for a while, stick with it though, and keep it iced. DO NOT slack on your therapy! You'll see big improvements at 3 weeks, 3 months and about 9 months if you are sticking with your therapy.

(Message edited by midwest_militia on November 14, 2005)
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
I feel the pain! I had my ACL done in march, and then it was feeling way to good, and wouldn't you know it i was back under the knife in Auguest. Now a little more than two months later I am feeling great, almost too good again. However from my experience don't push it cause it is not worth it at all. Do what the DOC says. and rock out on the therapy. Yea it sucks for awhile but you will gert used to it and the pain will go away, and then you will think you are superman again. Always keep it in the back of your head though cause doing it a second time is not fun. Six months out is a lot better than one year or more. Hope the pain gets better and i'm sure it will and look forward to the next ride you get to take.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-14-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
i had my knee done at the end of july. acl and the usual minuscus trim which is very common when you blow out your knee. i was rehabing less than 15 hours after they finished cutting on me. your doctor wouldnt send you to rehab if it wasnt ok, and you might want to get another pt if they said they wait two weeks because that is not the case. another thing - if they say you are behind schedule you need to get on the ball. it doesnt get any easier, but you can push through it. the reason you hurt so bad is like someone mentioned early- stay on the pain pills. they do you no good if you let them wear off before you pop another one.
Old    djjstylz            11-15-2005, 12:53 AM Reply   
I had mine done 5 years ago and remember the GREAT FUN like it was yesterday. I started PT about 4 days after, but it was just flexing, icing and massaging. Didn't start excercises until about 1 week out. Just like everyone else has said, it gets better with a little bit of patience. Don't get down on yourself if you have slow progress, everyone is different when it comes to rehabbing. I thought I was going along fast by getting off the crutches in 2 weeks and jogging on the treadmill after 2 months...then this young chick comes and is walking 4 days after and jogging within 1 month, damn young kids! Be patient do your workouts and don't do things you are not supposed to. As far as the pain issue, the throbbing when you get up is normal. Everyone I have talked to said they had the same thing, it felt like a Blood Bullet Train flowing through your leg...it sucked! Other than that the only other pain I had was when someone would accidentally brush by my toes, that was horrible piercing pain that would shoot up my leg into my knee. You will see the hardest part of PT is going to be the actual muscle building. Be patient, stick with it and things will come along just fine in the end. Good Luck.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2005, 7:00 AM Reply   
well its tuesday mourning almost 1 week out of surgery i have PT in about an hr im about ready to goto. but some more issues have come up want to know if you guys felt the same:

1. now when im laying down w/ my leg elevated i just get a constant shooting pain in the inside top of knee, but then if i get up the bathroom it feel like that blood bullet you were talking about but once im up for a bit and get things stretched out theres really no pain.

2. i got sick as a dog last night, i probably didnt eat the best that day, my food consististed of taco bell, some pudding, and a couple brownies, well i threw up all the brownines last night and then had a crazy headache, that ever happen?

thanks for all your guys comments, its really making me feel better and not making me all depressed.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-15-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Phil

Jonathan's story is scarry and the most beneficial one in terms of charting your progress. So don't forget the pain your in because it would suck to come back too fast and risk going through it all again.

You're problems will come when the pain goes away, which it will, and then you have to slow down your ambition to get onto the doctors/or somebody else's schedule. I took the one year approach before I really started big jumps again and worked on style, surface and ollie moves which made me a better rider. It was like one summer focussed on Disc 2 of THE BOOK.

No reinjury and I became a better rider. It has been 3 seasons since that rehab year and I felt the best ever this summer.

Hell, it is the off season. You've got loads of time. Best wishes!
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-15-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
dude. you are going to be in pain. i understand that you are disappointed about this happening, we all were disappointed when we had surgery, BUT you need to understand- someone cut you open and DRILLED through your bones. Pain is going to be there. You are going to hurt for a while. You have got to get focused on being positive and give up the complaining if you want to have a sucessful recovery.

If you hurt take the maximum number of pain pills that the bottle says is safe. Then stay on track. If it says 4 pills every 4 hours... DO IT! Set an alarm clock and wake up and take them.
Old    djjstylz            11-15-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Phil, I don't remember getting sick but you did eat Taco Bell and then just layed down. I don't think that could've been too great for you. Did they give you excercises or a machine to do at home to work on flexing? I remember having a wierd numbness on the inside top of my knee, but when I would touch that area, It would feel like I was touching the opposite side of my knee...it was soooo wierd. Don't forget to eat right because you are not gonna be on your feet and running around like you usually are. PT won't get you sweating and actually working out for at least 2-4 weeks, you can gain some weight lounging around eating bad food which is what a lot of people don't think about after this surgery.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
I'm sure glad that I had a cadaver graft done.
Min pain and swelling,Walking & full flex and extention day 2.
Back to work day #10 Full Time and standing for 8-10 hrs. Wasn't painful, just uncomfortable.

Just hang in there. Use alot of ice and elevate your leg above the level of your heart to help decrease swelling. Do as much PT on your own too. Body doesn't heal itself overnight.
Old     (midwest_militia)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-16-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
Maybe you are allergic to Vicoden, I know my wife can't take it because she gets sick. It doesnt agree with everybody, I would ask your doctor about that. If it is working right you will feel relaxed and less pain for about 4-6 hours. (I would add a couple beers in the mix and even be more relaxed)