Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    my4kidsrfun            05-25-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
I guess I need to purchase four binding screws that have a shaft longer that 3/4 inch. I bought a brand new board and bindings from an online wakeboard store for christmas for my son. This week he tried to assemble the bindings to the board. The new binding screws are too short to go through the bindings and into the board. Too short to thread into the board. The store I ordered the board and bindings from was no help with this problem. They said go to a hardware store and buy longer screws. I don't want to damage my sons board. I don't know much if anything about wakeboards. Any suggestions?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
you should be able to match up the screws you have at the hardware store with something slightly longer. Just make sure the threads match up. This is not unusual.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-25-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
im going to say the samething they did, go to a hard ware store and get longer screws. simple solution
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-25-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
OK - here are the specifics:

You need 1/4" X 20 thread. I suggest cap screws in stainless steel. Cap screws are allen head. Get 1/4" flat washers. Home Depot carries all of this as regular stock. It will cost less than $5.

To determine max length, take a wire and place it through the binding until it bottoms out in the hole. Measure the distance. Go 1/4" shorter than that measurement and the screw will not bottom out and damage your board. It is OK to use a few washers to shorten the distance. Also, while in Home Depot, go to the plumbing aisle and buy a tube of pipe thread joint compound. This will keep the screw from seizing in the hole. It will not harm the board. The tube should cost about $2 and will last at least a year. You will also need a 3/16 allen wrench to tighten it down snug, not tight.

If you have more questions, rider@boarditup.com