Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-24-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
I am currently riding a 2004 Substance 134 and like the pop and control it offers. However, I injured my knee and am looking for something with softer landings--but I don't want to give up the pop. I like to go W2W mostly but want something that lands a little softer when I go out into the flats. I am thinking of getting a Watson 134 but also considering shane or ps3. Please let me know if you have transitioned from a substance to watson or one of the other LF boards and how you like it. Thanks!!!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-24-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have not ridden the watson or substance but ride the PS3 and think the landings are pretty soft. I used to have knee problems but they dont seem to bother me since Ive been on the PS3.
Old     (fredrik_of_sweden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
watson is a great soft board.
I'm gonna buy one. I ride lf balance now, and watson is the one for me.
I tryed it and fell in love right away.....
/Fredrik
www.foamproductions.net
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-24-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
I will probably get flamed for saying this, buuut a CWB Absolute rides relatively similar to a Substance except it has a little more pop and MUCH softer landings. The center spine displaces water side to side and makes it very smooth. I transitioned from a Substance to an Absolute so this is why I say this. Cheers!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Except they break all the time. Ha ha, j/k
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-24-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Agree with Heavy. Does your new board have to be LF? Last time I rode a Substance (2 years ago), I didn't notice the landing to be particularly harsh.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-24-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Actually Big Heavy, I think that information is awesome and should be very helpful for Tracy. You've ridden both boards so you have an educated opinion.

When it seems people are ridiculously pushing products is when someone asks about a particular board or something that rides similar and someone else starts saying how their (insert any brand) board is the best with no comparison to the original question.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-24-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
If your going to stick with LF, I recommend the Shane just because in 2006 they reshaped the board to have a nice center bump down the middle of the board to absorb hard landings. I rode the 136 and really liked it. Not as squirrly as previous years and very cush landings
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
i think the watson has the softest landings....keep in mind that a good set of bindings is also goin to play into that equation that equals soft landings...
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
and..i also injured my knee this summer and i made the transition into wakeskating..I have picked it up pretty fast. If you are still having trouble with your knee, wakeskating is a good way to still be able to ride without putting too much strain on the knee. It allowed me to still ride, but also allow my knee to heal. Best of both worlds!
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input! Big Heavy, it doesn't have to be a LF board but I do like my Substance (just want a board with softer landings to help my knee out a bit). Also, I intend to keep my Ultra bindings--figured it is easiest to just move them to another LF deck. Has anyone who has ridden the Substance disliked the Watson? Do you think Watson has as much (or more) pop than the Substance? Can anyone compare the Absolute to Watson? Thanks!
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-24-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
I'd suggest trying new bindings on your Substance. Grab some from someone you ride with and try them out - even if they don't fit (just test out the footbed). I have been riding Ultras for years and have tried them on lots of boards. The Watson board was only slightly softer with my 2005 Ultras (compared to the Litmus or Team or Evo). Recently, I tried an O'Brien Natural with O'Brien Xenons and my Ultras - big difference (Xenons were way softer).

Also, Ultras are very hard to get off after a knee injury.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-24-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
Daren...yeah, tell me about it--I heard my knee pop and felt a crunch...it was all I could do to pull the Ultra off my foot without moving my knee :-(

ps...pretty much everyone I ride with uses my stuff--I did try the CWB hinge boot though but it didn't have the same control I felt with the Ultras. Think some different boots might make a bigger difference than the board?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-24-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
Having other people use your gear leaves you more susceptible to injury. ie. boots will get stretched out or adjusted weird and then you shall suffer.

Ultras are good boots. A friend of mine rides for LF and goes huge and prefers the Ultras. I think a board with smoother landings would help more. I know a few ladies who really like the Marius board as it is really smooth edging, has good pop and has the softest landings ever. If you used the Torq hinge boot then yeah they are definately less supportive than your Ultras, the Zeus & Ember(ladies Faction) are more comparable.

Clearly I am CWB biased, sorry again. I notice you ride at Lake San Antonio, if you pass through SLO hit me up you can try my Absolute Platinum 135 & Zeus setup (I have small feet so odds are good it would fit). Let me know.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-24-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've thought about cutting my Ultras off a couple of times.

Compared to a couple other high end boots that I've tried (2007 Xenon and 2005 Byerly), the Ultra Suction footbed is more firm. That means better control in my opinion, but harder landings. I noticed a bigger difference with a binding change than with a board change, but I haven't ridden the Substance.

One thing is certain though - if you get a softer landing board you will feel great ... and then add ballast until your knee hurts again.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-25-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
i have made the transistion from the substance to the shane and i like both boards, but i do feel that the shane has softer and faster landings in the flats without that stuck in the mud feeling you sometimes get on the substance.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-25-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Big Heavy--have you ridden in Ultras? I have heard the Zeus is a great binding...any idea how they compare to the Ultra? Also, do you know if CWB bindings fit onto LF boards easily? I do ride almost exclusively at San Antonio but hurt my knee there 3 weeks ago and it seems like the season is over for now...is it still nice up there? maybe I'll have to check out the CWB stuff!

Chris--how would you compare the pop and edging of shane vs. the substance?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-25-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Tracy, yeah all bindings fit onto all boards. There has been a universal pattern for years now. I have ridden the Ultras, I actually broke my ankle in them when they first came out. Which is ironic being that I was using someone elses setup and the stance was what broke me. The Zeus is incredible, more supportive than Ultras and easy to get in/out without soap. I trunked Nac last weekend and it was great, a little brisk but certainly manageable. X-treme Marine in Paso has CWB for demo(you must know Pat). When you guys head back to the lake I would be happy to come out and give you some pointers (get you wake to wake) and let you try my gear.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-25-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Thoughts on a 134 Watson / Zeus set-up? Anyone ride that combo?

Big Heavy--Pat is a great guy! Also, any pointers would be appreciated--still can't get my TS or 180's W2W yet!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-25-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
I picked up a LF Fish on closeout a few months ago. Short, wide, and a big center ridge to break the water on landings. The shorter board seems to spin easier. The wider board rides loose, and I have really had to relearn my edging fundamentals (esp TS) but it has really helped me step up as a rider too.

I agree taht the bindings make a huge diff, BTW.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
tracy- in my expieriences on both boards the shane gets on edge quicker when you go to initiate your edge while the substance takes a little longer to get up to speed. i think the pop is pretty similar abrupt 3-stage pop. the shane seems to buck a little harder and the substance a little smoother but the difference is subtle. hope that helps.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
I love my 133 PS3 with Watsons. My friends say the board seems to have been made for me and that I look very comfortable on it. It made my wake 2 wakes so easy and my grabs were grabs not just slaps. (more pop than my previous boards even behind boats with small wakes)
My previous boards were Balance 135 and Fish 125. I tried the Substance/Cadence and felt they were too slow for what I like.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-03-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Cool--thanks for all of the great }input! I have decided to go with both the Watson 134 board and Watson bindings!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-11-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ive been riding lf for about 7 years now. I think ive ridin almost every board they've had squirts, trips, balance, substance, subject, and now im on the shane. This board kills it when it comes to soft landings. It has a spine that forces water to be pushed out from under the board when landing.the watson has it too but seriously try a shane. And by the way the absolute platinum finless is far from smooth. (personal opinion) I work at a pro shop and tried many many boards so take my advice with the shane. Lf- Shane HL-3DS and CWB-marius. Thiese are the smoothest boards from each company in my own opinion