Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
I've seen different topics on mainlines but I'm trying to decide between either a coated or non-coated mainline. Never had a coated one before. Any big advantage or disadvantage?

I'm looking at an accurate a-line or LF vision for coated or Straightline Draco or LF fusion?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-19-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
coated is way better in my oppinion. it feels way better siding through you hands, and its way esasier to wind up. also, ive found they dont tangle and knot up as much
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-19-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have an Accurate coated and a Helium coated. I've also had plenty of non-coated. IMO coated is the way to go. They WILL still get tangled, but because they are a little stiffer than no-coated, they are easier to wind up. Tangled ropes have more to do with how the rope is wound and unwound, so whether or not your rope gets tangled really depends more on the user and not the rope.

To me the best reason to get a coated rope is because it glides through your hands so much easier when the boat driver is getting the rope back to you after a fall. No more rope burn!
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input, would still like more opinions but I thought of another question: do coated float very well?
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       06-19-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Check out the Proline Vapor. 100% Dyneema, 4-Braid, PRT coated, 4000lbs tensile strength, 80ft, 4-Sections, cheaper than - or priced the same as the products you mentioned w/ more features.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-19-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Zero Rope Burn from the coating.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-19-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
How badly and how quickly does the coating get beat up???
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Pros:
-glide through hand
-wind nicely

Cons:
-if you don't remove a knot, the coated housing tears
-doesn't look as cool as a multi color weave
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Coated ropes for sure. Ive had the best luck with Accurate A and X lines. The coating seems to stay on the line better and not slide around. The coating on straight line, LF, and proline ropes I have used bunched up and tore off the rope.
I thought they were all the same and made in the same place but the accurate just holds up better for me even for winching.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Ive got a coated liquidforce line. Love it. They do not take tangles well....but i think its worth it.
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input, looks like coated is the favorite and the overall best choice. Thanks for the input.

I still curious if Coated ropes float....
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-22-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
get a floating handle and then it won't matter if the rope itself floats
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I'm wondering if the coated-rope trend is why we are seeing ropes stretch again. I don't remember my old non-coated lines being so bouncy.

The douobleup kid said "no ropes are prestretched from the factory." Maybe they should be, prior to being coated.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-22-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
I do not like coated lines. Mine tangles easily, and it gets little nicks in the coating that have cut my hand as it the rope glides through.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Coated feels a lot better on the hands and is what I use. I bought a yellow line, thinking it would be easier to see, but it sinks. Haven't run over it yet, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to make 'em float. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Yeah, I used to have a proline coated rope, but I got rid of it the moment a small knot cut the coating and started slicing my hands up. I've been riding an old fashion non-coated rope for a while now, and though it doesn't stay tangle free as easy, I know I don't have to flinch everytime my rope is going through my hands.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-22-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
With my experience with coated lines they tend to tangle extremely easily.
Old     (wviveen)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-22-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I dont like the fact how the coated lines bounce.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-22-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I own and love the X-line, it got one knot which split the coating but I wrapped the cut with electrical tapes and it's perfect.
Friend owns an A-Line and it tangles all the time.
My vote is for the X-line.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-22-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
My coated Straightline rope tangles a lot no matter what I do.