Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-09-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
So with everthing going on with housing, recession, mortgage, and credit markets. How is this effecting boat sales and your plans on boat purchases? Any industry people willing to say positive, negative, no change...

Check out this article http://www.cnbc.com/id/24540066
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
well considering most dealers are still holding on to 07 stock even selling them at cost, and many 08 on hand i think next yr boats will be even cheaper probally at a loss or liquidation. Why would you buy an 08 when the 07 is 10k cheaper and has the same design? That and gas prices at 125 a barrel it's predicted gas will hit 5-7 bucks a gallon by yr end.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-09-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I think it is probably pretty obvious to assume boat sales are down this year. Will you get an industry person to admit that??????? Would be interesting to get a true comparison over year.....
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-09-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
i think it is definitely going to be a buyers market.. flooring costs, coupled with manufacturer incentives to move product are going to be driving the dealers to want to earn your business (even more).. we are in the market for a new boat and have been looking at used to absorb some depreciation but our local dealer is offering some never before available deals this year on new inventory, it seems?.. i think the people that have the discretionary income to purchase a boat will do so.. i think that those who don't, or have to get financed to the hilt, may wait for recession to subside a bit before pulling the trigger.. the article factor's in GE's wanting to dominate the rec market for a-paper borrowers and i think when they didn't see that happening they bounced. key bank and BofW are still very strong, not to mention the handful of other marine lenders who will get aggressive for the right borrower.. either way, gas is gas, we have to pay for it and if you own a boat, you made the commitment to keep that boat floating, so it just comes with the times.. i will gladly give up 2-3 days a month of boating to justify keeping our boat around for one things get good (again)..
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
you think prices will get better on gas? I'd be happy as hell if they stopped going up. 200 bucks a day is a bit pricey for almost everyone. Some people i guess are just loaded...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-09-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
I personally disagree that things will be an even better buyer's market in 2008+. The same dealers that are selling 2007's at cost are not going to order anywhere near the same inventory of 08's, so that will tighten the supply and bring things back into balance. MC will not continue to let X-stars go for 63K, I am sure. They will drop the supply until prices are back at what they are used to.

Tige, for example, has laid off a bunch of people at the factory, and I am sure that is because of decreased demand. The materials cost is still going up, so these boats are not going to get any cheaper in the future, they will just make fewer. My .02.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
they already have the stock for this yr of 08's.I agree for 09 though. They have had these 08's since the boats shows. Dont you think gas will play into it? How many people can afford to spend 2k a month on thier payment and taking it out 3-4 times a month?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-09-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
do you have a $2000.00 a month boat payment? that is nuts! yes, gas will always factor into boat ownership but you can give up some ride time to justify keeping the boat.. and at $2k a month, you should sell now anyway..
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
Business is booming is what they are saying here... for at least one company anyways...

I heard that Campion has slowed a bit... havent heard anything else about any others...

Katana Industries.. builders of their self branded runabouts. Also build the hulls and decks for Epic. Recently purchased Interior Fiberglass, makers of Malibu runabouts and Liquid Ride Wakeboard Boats. Just had this ad in our local paper.

Source: Penticton Western Listed: Monday 05 May, 2008

Katana Industries has immediate openings for experienced upholstery workers, chopper gun operators and gel coaters for our plant in Summerland. Business is booming and we need experienced workers for long term employment. Positions in our pattern making shop are also available. Considerable experience with hand tools required. Email lyle@katanapowerboats.com or apply by mail or in person, to 9685 Agur St., RR# 2, Summerland BC, V0H 1Z2
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
The dealers I've talked to tell me their sales are good, boat show sales were good, etc. But some of them still have some 2007 inventory in the lot so how good can it be? I have to imagine 2008 will be hard on them, especially dealers who only sell one brand/type of boat.

Our local Malibu dealer just sent a flyer around to all his customers who buy a new boat from them this year....... $2.99/gallon gas on Lake Coeur d'Alene for the summer! Tough to beat that!
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-09-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
"chopper gun operators and gel coaters"

lol, what part of this doesn't sound right?
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
no i was reffering to a payment for a star or top end boat say 650 a month. then 50 gallon tank by 5 bucks a gallon 250 bucks for the day. 3-4 times a month you get 1650 plus insurance and up keep. pretty expensive.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-09-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Trust me dealers and real estate agents are the only ones saying sales are great. when in reality they are lying just to get you to buy
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Sales are good/bad depending on region. California is not good. There are still 07s as mentioned above and most dealers are not stocking a lot of 2008 boats.

Canada was booming but with the current state of the dollar, Canadians are buying down here, paying the tax/duty and it is still cheaper.

The market is really finicky right now and its a buyers market.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-09-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
I agree with Rick ator.
Couldn't have been said better.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-10-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
WOW 2.99 a gallon for gas for the summer, sounds great to me...
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-10-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
don't believe what they are selling you on the 2.99 gas. there is a limit and ussually it means you buy gas give receipts and they pay you the difference over what the average gas price is at that time not the price you pay. Either way it is not worth buying a boat at that deal.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
DFW Texas boat sales are great.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-10-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
There is no limit and you dont have to turn in any receipts, they are giving you a card that allows you to pay $2.99 a gallon.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-10-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Alberta and Dallas have good boat markets right now. Maybe Dubai if there's a lake or a pond there.

There's a Malibu Corvette boat out on the curb at the local dealer. They want to move that useless albatross asap. They have so much inventory there right now. Trouble is, it's tough to put in at the local lake, theres six ramps open on a 30 mile long 38k acre lake. If you are in the market, you should look at some of the ATL dealers and get it shipped. You'll probably get a deal and be able to pick what you want, huge selection from what I see driving by. Not looking, myself.