Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of one of my latest attempts. I'm pulling hard with both hands to my rear hip aftering leaving the wake. I try to make the handle pass at my lower back, but keep missing the handle. Does anyone have some tips or advice? Thanks!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-22-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
lean over the front of the board a little more on the handle pass
Old    tcboarder            08-22-2004, 10:39 PM Reply   
this may sound wierd but go out wit a ski handle thats really narrow and if you can get that into your hand you should be able to get your wakeboard handle easyly. it mihgt suck riding wiht a ski rope, but thtas how i leanrded mine, cuz the ski handle is so much harder to get cuz its so narrow i ended up getin the handle into my hand no prob after that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-23-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
It looks like you've got it to me. Only prob I see: You're not looking in the direction you want to spin.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-23-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
are you goofy or regular?
Old    sliderfreak            08-23-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
i want to land it too
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Grab the handle all the way on one side- when passing the handle, just flip it over behind your back..... you only have the hab=ndle in one hand for a brief second. Off the wake, pull to your hip with BOTH hands. Then initiate the spin and handle pass. Also, trying to spin off the wake, or pushing the handle down will throw you off axis. Stand tall
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-23-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Your right hand is upside down. Put your right hand behind your back, palm down like in the photo. Then rotate it so you are palm up. Notice that your hand can move farther behind your back when you do that.

Old     (cgutzmer)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-23-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
Consentrate on Making the actual handle pass more so then spinning because once you have the handle the boat will pull you around. Also slow your spin down a little. In the beginning I was spinning so fast that I couldn't actually grab the handle I was a little out of control. Once you finally have the handle pass down they will be cake....
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Thanks. Been at Rollins for the week without success. John, the hand position really makes sense. Thane, I'm ride goofy foot.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-27-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
From the pic it looks like you are coming off the wake off balance. Make sure that you pop the wake, then throw the trick. I try to take an easy progressive edge and really focus on getting a solid straight up pop before spinning. When I first learned I used to wait so long to start spinning that I could abort the spin if I didn't feel right about it. Just make sure you aren't spinning off the wake it'll usually set you off balance.
Old    anim8or            08-27-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
Anybody ever try this trick wrapped? Does that work?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
Tim, it just occured to me that your right hand might be upside down because you are using a "slalom" grip on the handle. When you are riding are both your hands holding the handle palm down (wakeboard/trick ski grip), or are you holding the handle with your palms facing each other (slalom grip)?

Mike, there is a whole other thread about wrapped 3's. I've never done a wrapped three on a wakeboard, but the one time I wrapped to give it a try it felt so awkward that I decided to forget about it.

Evan, just like you say I try to pop off the wake and then throw the three. I edge to the wake but flatten out as I ride up the wake and it eases the tension on the rope a bit. TS 3's are easier IMO (even though I started with the HS), and I initiate the spin as I come off the wake (instead of waiting). So TS 3's don't follow the same advice as HS.

Oh yeah, here's a short vid of HS and TS Threes. You can see the difference of when I start the spin...

http://john.panelmagic.com/w800kbps.mpg

(Message edited by fly135 on August 27, 2004)
Old    du540            08-27-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Two words.

Trampoline. Practice.

Old    murrayair            08-27-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
I bought a trampoline to help me with my wakeboarding and it really hasnt helped me that much. The way the rope pulls you(or doesn't pull you) on the tramp is way different and doing 3's is a lot harder when you are going 23 mph.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
you have to put the tension on the rope yourself. Jump away from where your rope is tied from. A good test to see if you're putting tension on the rope is try to do an off axis 3. I thought the tramp was the closest thing to actually being on the water. It helped with my muscle memory the most.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
i agree with thane. i did some tramp practice and it didn't help at ALL. and then i realized it was because the pull wasn't simulated. so then i practiced for about 20mins simulating the pull by tugging on the rope as i practiced the handle-pass. went out and landed it my next session.