Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
So I had another wakeworld meetup on Sunday. Rich (gunz) contacted me and asked about teaching his daughter how to wakesurf on the new GROM and hopefully getting himself some surf time. I am always up for teaching a willing kid to wakesurf. Gunz is newer to wakesurfing, and he was able to get up behind DJJames boat once, but his daughter was never able to even stand up on the board, so she had never wakesurfed. We met up on Sunday for a few hours and had a great time. I loaded up 5 of my kids and we all went down to the Tige on Lake Oroville to do some surfing. We took over 500 pictures. That is a lot, even for us. This was our first trip out with the brand new production model of the GROM, so we were also pretty excited. It was hard, but I was able to get down to only 29 images. I know that is still alot, but dude, that is good for me. 541 images down to 29.

T-Bone was out first and was very funny. He kept looking over at Katelyn to see if she was watching him whenever he did a trick or a grab or anything.
IMG_2854

IMG_2857

IMG_2899

Max was up, she and T-Bone ride in the twin fin config and her confidence is really moving up. She is starting to feel good about throwing several carves in sequence.
IMG_2947

IMG_2971

IMG_2980
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
Then there was Katelyn. Cute girl, as T-Bone seemed to notice. She took 2 turns for us to instruct her, but then she was getting up, which is more than she had done before.
IMG_2986

IMG_3066

IMG_3069

IMG_3076

She is starting to feel it here, and slacking the rope for short periods.
IMG_3083

She tried letting go, but fell right out the back.
IMG_3109

This was a fun crash, maybe she was trying a shuvit.
IMG_3135

The smile says it all, doesn't it?
IMG_3163

Another freeride attempt, but not yet.
IMG_3176

After a good hour, she was getting tired, but SO close.
IMG_3225
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
So Whitney took the grom for a spin, she is 17 and 130lbs. The board is a bit small for her but she rides it fine, and puts it through its paces.
IMG_3259

IMG_3308

IMG_3311

So Katelyn comes back from break, and the second try she GETS IT! Katelyn is now officially a wakesurfer.
IMG_3337

IMG_3338

IMG_3341
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
So Rich (gunz) decided to take a turn, no chance on the grom. We have the 6' wake9 cruiser ready for him. Its a bigger board, but it is NOT a log.
IMG_3347

IMG_3356

IMG_3359

The Gunz Show. <-- get it?
IMG_3361

IMG_3367

IMG_3373

IMG_3377
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-12-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
SIck robert, now I have to get my daughter back there,rich how far away was that nice pics.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
James, after my visiting family leave, I still plan on coming down for a friday. Just crazy right now.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-12-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Me to,just got back from colarodo,and got my daughters birthday over the next few days,and trying to get to tennessee to do a demo,then to florida to do some clinics in october.but I want to work something out before that.yeah rich is a nice guy huh.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-12-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
When/where in tennessee are you looking to do something?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-12-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
DANGIT. Im really envious. Gunz got to spend time with the Garcias and the Garcias got to spend time with Gunz. That looks like a blast.

and WAY TO GO T-BONE!!!!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-12-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
I'm also glad to see that Katelyn rides on the proper side.

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-12-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
I got to say,the world famous Garcias were the coolest family we've ever met.I think I was smilin the whole day,and I don't think I've ever seen that much stoke,and positivity anywhere!
We had an awesome time,and Katelyn getting her surf on,was the icing on the cake.

T-Bone was in fact checkin to see if Katelyn was watchin,and it was crackin me up.That lil kid can surf!Thanks for showin us how it's done Thomas.

Thanks to ALL the Garcias for all the stoke amd encouragement,it meant alot.

dtw-Why you be like dat?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
ok, so I finished the video that introduces the GROM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKlqVGQ5NK4

The last 1/3 of it, is basically Katelyn. For the record, I am selling these boards as a dealer, and this video is to intro the board, but does not do anything like show prices or anything like that. But if it bothers you that I sell this board also, don't watch the video.

That said, there is a part at the beginning when we unbox the video. You have to watch Jesse's reactions, she cracks me up. None of this was scripted in any way, and you can imaging how hard it would be to script a 4 yr old. She is a must see. Then in the last half, it is surfing, and specifically Katelyn learning. You have to see her at the end, when she finally gets it, and free rides, how she smiles and does this like victory double fist pump. Definitely what wakesurfing is all about.

Let me know what you think.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Ragboy--
I just wanted to say thanks for all the great video's. I have 4 kids ages 4 to 13 and all these video's are great for me as a dad who is totally diggin surfing and is also trying to get his kids to fall in love with it too! You are a huge asset to the sport of wakesurfing and in helping to promote it in a safe and fun way for all those just getting into the sport. Thanks! And keep up the good work. I look forward to each of your new video's.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Thanks, thats what keeps me going. Heading to the lake now! Working on a Carbon Monoxide Safety video.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey Robert:

I'm up there quite a bit over at Bidwell. Let me know if you ever need a third.

Take Care, Pete
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
btw, is that Shasta in your profile pic. Looks awesome.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-13-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
That was HUGE RagBoy!

Katelyn is so jacked to see that,I think she sent it to everyone she knows.She's chompin at the bit for when her new board gets here.

LOL.

We're heading out next weekend to Berryesa,and will be sharing what we've learned.

I'm lovin this!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2009, 11:18 PM Reply   
That's great to hear. Glad to know she enjoyed the video.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
So awesome. Great work with the Grom.