Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Posted on the other site too, so I thought I would get ideas from here as well.

Ok, I wish when I bought the boat it came with wrap around seating instead of 2 captains chairs. I am looking at trying to create wrap around seating since it would be alot more helpful and provide more "sealed" room. I would lose some room I understand, but I want to be able to lift the seats and hide 2 85lb bags under that side as well as storing ropes, lights, etc. I am at work and dont have access to photoshop so I was hoping somebody could shop what it would look like with wrap around seating. I have it in my head but wanted to know some people's thoughts, some things I didn't think of, and some ideas on cost if people have done something like this. Wish I could move to a boat that already has it but im stuck with this one for a while, so im making it how I want it. EQ would of course move so thats not a biggie.
I figured I could make the box frames for the seat, just more of getting it upholstered I think and then determining if I want hinges or just take off the seats, etc.
Please help me out or stop me from doing something stupid if thats the case...

Upload
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
in the front?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
No, Taking out the passenger seat and creating wrap around seating from the passenger seat to the back bench like a super air, wakesetter, etc has... I have a bow filler cushion but the front sac when full, doesnt allow for us to keep it in.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-06-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Assuming you will have to take it somewhere to have the upholstery done... A good upholstery shop should be able to build seats how you want and make it look factory. You're probably looking at $750-1500, most of which is the vinyl work.

Personally I would just have people sit on coolers / sacks, though. You will probably cut into resale value some just because it's not factory.

Why are you stuck with this boat? Sell it and buy something else used. Don't forget this cost when you're looking at the cost of an upgrade.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Yea, I agree that resale might be a problem..... really depends on how good the mod is & how close the vinyl matches.

Seems like making the seat bases themselves would be a breeze if you have any carpentry skills. Some plastic or fiberglass sheets cut to size & carpeted. Or you can use marine plywood. Then bring the boat & the new seat bases in to the upholstery shop for padding & vinyl.

Get me a shot that includes the entire back seat & I'll see what I can do in Photoshop.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-06-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Oh, and if you do build it - I would opt for removable cushions as opposed to putting them on hinges.

If you do want to build the bases, I'd also pick an upholstery shop, have them look at it, and help you come up with a design that they can work with.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Trace, I figured most of the cost would be upholstery work for sure as I could build the frame and cut the boards and kinda got all but the upholstery done. I figured pull out cushions but then I debated the hinges. I thought about resale as well and I understand that it will probably hurt it since its not factory. I would get it matched up the best to look factory. I have put quite a bit of money into it and I owe about 2k more than its worth right now. I figure it will be paid in full in about 2 years since my truck is getting paid off very shortly and that money goes to the boat. I don't think upgrading to anything in the price range for the dependability would be an option. Bill, I'll try to take pics of the entire backseat and each side just for reference. I was planning to keep the back as it is and just add on persay the side seating. In the end, i'm not really worried about resale as I don't see myself getting rid of it if I can get it how I want it to be. Please keep the thoughts and comments coming.
Thanks everybody.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
I have the same issue that you do. I have been thinking about having two large coolers and mounting a cushion on top. That way I could have the seating if I want and still remove them if I don't like it or sell the boat.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-07-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
getting the vinyl to match I dont think would be too hard, any tracker dealer should be able to get the vinyl in for you. I know prices are set at all tracker dealers but you might be able to find out who makes their vinyl and see if you can find a match online for a better price (although Tracker seems pretty competitive). If done right, a partial wraparound seat and leaving the captains chair probably wouldn't hurt the value. A full wraparound depends on how good you can do it. It isnt exactly hard to outdo the craftsmanship on the Tahoe line of tracker. When I worked for them we constantly had issues with the Tahoe interiors.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
Cole, I don't know why they didnt just make it wrap around just for the fact or more seating availability. But at the same time, I cant figure out why they didnt put no slip matting on the back platform. I have that now taken care of, just moving to the next project.
Kevin, I didn't know if I could go through tracker to even get the fabric or if its pre-sewn fabric in that pattern or what. It would be nice if they had just a sheet of the yellow on white. If thats the case, I could almost fabricate it all and make the seats. It would be partial wraparound from the passenger seat to the rear bench. that would still allow for my swivel bolster captains chair. Their craftsmanship quality isnt too bad on my Q6. I think I must have got a good one of out the batch because others say they have problems here and there with theirs. Mine is just wanting to do upgrade after upgrade. I can't trade in right now but im ok with that if I can just get what I want it to do. I know it will still be a duck in a rabbits skin and thats ok with me. We have the wake dialed in pretty good now and I have everything starting to set up my way. I just think wrap around seating would help a bit.
Bill,
I am uploading pics of the entire back, hopefully these are the ones you were wanting.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
Sell the boat, buy something else its not worth the amount of time and money.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
dhtige, again, unfortunately, not an option at this point...owe too much, and dont have the additional 10 percent down for another boat...I was looking for help of yes and no's, not sell the boat, its not worth it comments. I'll take from your statement that you feel its not worth the amount of time and money to put into a project like this.

If I am keeping this boat for at least another 3 or 4 years or maybe more, it may end up being worth it Im thinking. Again I accept criticism or thoughts about this project, just even when I mentioned in the first time around that
"Wish I could move to a boat that already has it but im stuck with this one for a while, so im making it how I want it"
I was hoping to receive suggestions or criticism other than just sell it. I have upcoming medical bills for my fiance and im not too keen on spending money on another boat with the economy right now and especially not having even 10 percent ready to throw to it...
Sorry, I'm not getting hateful or trying to seem hateful, I just wanted opinions on the project, not about just starting over again with another boat..though I guess in that same sense I should take the get another boat comment as a dont do this project...again, sorry....
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
i've almost posted a few times now...here goes. i agree with dhtige. you're looking at taking a hit on resale so add that to the costs of the project.

the integrated cupholders/armrest whatever are in the way of a seatback. so you're looking at either not having a back to those seats or cutting the cupholders out. any permanent mods and you're looking at limiting potential buyers to boarders who want an i/o. a typical i/o buyer may run from wrap around seating in a tahoe.

i'd go with temporary/removable over permanent changes. your interior looks roomy enough as is for a few people. how many do you take out with you?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
Oh sorry i missed that part. Seems like more trouble then its worth, good luck would love to see some pics if you do it.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
salty, I agree with the part about the hit on resale v the cost of the project. The seatback would go about as high or just a little lower than the cupholders, mostly the bench would be there vs alot of the back. I would have a little bit of a back but it wouldnt be very high. I think they may run from wrap around seating but some may like it as the regals are now doing that, and some other i/o's are. We usually take about 3 people total, sometimes 4. I am not doing it to create room for other people, more for comfort and the ability for my fiance to be able to sit behind the windscreen and lay on the passenger side with her feet up and looking back vs the uncomfortable seat.
I'm not trying to cause fights or issues, I welcome any ideas and I am glad I have input from everybody.
Dhtige, sorry if I seemed like a jerk about that, I didn't intend for that. Salty, also I didnt mean to come off as a jerk.
Thanks again everybody..
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
...not at all

i think i see what you're saying. you want a bigger observer's seat that's backward facing. you have some room under the cupholder closer to the dash to fit that in. you'd have storage where the passenger's feet normally would be.

could be a good upgrade if it's not overboard. good luck
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-07-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Not to beat a dead horse, but I really just wouldn't do it. You're $2k upside down right now; the cost of this mod plus the possible hit to resale will just add to that figure. It's pissing into the wind.

Take the port side swivel chair out, get a big cooler with a padded lid, and put the money you want to spend on this mod towards the principal.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Salty, exactly, I would have the room under the cupholders and I would create more sealed persay room to store things that would otherwise be in the open. I think it has alot of potential. I just want to make it look like its supposed to be there and looks good...
Trace, also, just checked im not 2k upside down, I thought it was since the last statement I looked at was 6 months ago (usually just pay without looking, have the checks pre-written out until next year lol, severe ocd) and Im not worried about paying it off as I will have my truck paid for in about 6 months and then that money will go to the boat and a little more, so pretty much it will go to 1k a month in payments for principle...resale im not really too worried about, I know that sounds weird, but it will either be kept and ill get another, or ill get what I can and go on from there, I'll have it how I wanted it and if somebody else doesn't like it, im ok with taking a loss...sounds weird but id rather make myself happy while I own it rather than worry about the resale, i go back and forth on that point..I appreciate your input trace and I just think i would end up keeping the chair if a cooler is the other option..I just don't think the cooler would work or look better,
Just gotta look at all the options and do some more research I suppose.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I gotta admit. I don't hate it. Could be nice & improve the value if it's done right.

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-07-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
If you're set on this you could make it all removable. That would pry save you some cost on getting it built and avoid any hit at resale. Use a big cooler or a box for the one on the side. I bet you could buy or modify that seat pedestal to support the front. Could be pulled out quickly would provide support and storage. If you're going to have the boat for another few years, make it work for you. my $.02
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Bill, WOW...thats not too bad at all...thats about what I was thinking too..that made me feel a little better even thinking about it. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP ON IT!
Nacho, exactly what I was thinking, semi-removeable. I wanted to use the front pedestal and support that new seat so I wouldn't need a new front mount. Gives me some ideas..
Thanks again everybody, please send me more ideas/thoughts/concerns about tackling this if I go that route...
I'll have the boat for at least 2 more years id say, I would honestly like to have it paid for before I move on to the next venture...
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Greg, I agree that that Bill's photoshop work is an improvement on the current setup; more storage, more seating, and looks better.
I'm in your shoes, rockin the I/O until I can afford an inboard boat. If you are sticking with your boat for a while, you should not hesitate to make it your own, even if the numbers dont make total sense. Definately post pictures if you move ahead with it.
I wish the wrap around seating was more common in I/O boats, I have the same dual captains chairs in my sea ray & would prefer Bill's version.
Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-07-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
This is not my boat, but, several months ago I was also thinking about the exact same thing... Here are a few pics I ran across on the net that got my wheels turning... Looks to be completely removable and functional... Just an idea...

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I.Hasegawa, I def. have been moving more in that direction since seeing how it could look. I wish they would make more wrap around boats so I wouldn't have to mess with this , but its a project and that seems to be what ive been all about lol...Whatever way I proceed with this, I will post pics.
M to the Sheezy,
Wow, thats not too bad, gave me even more ideas and that would be a synch to fabricate.
More of just really a bench. Gah! I could do that in a flash and it could be removeable too. At least I'm getting some ideas which way to move. Im diggin that one or Bill's shop one. Both seem to just have so much more to offer than the current arrangement. I am glad I am not the only one that has ever thought about changing the seating pattern.
I got a quote and for the vinyl from tracker its 300 for the rear sundeck just vinyl. I could then fabricate my seats and then just wrap it in that...Wheels are turning, more input, thoughts ideas, criticism greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody so far!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Wow, that one looks nice. Definitely no depreciation in doing a mod like that. And you get room for a sub woofer or even more storage space out of it.

If you did the install where it could be easily returned to stock, and it was that clean, I really don't see any down side to it.
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Sheezy's pics give a good idea of the possibilities. The only thing I would try to do, if possible, is to build a more conventional and comfortable backrest, creating a full loungechair for the spotter.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Def. Going to have a better backrest and mine will be a little wider than that one. Going to start evaluating this weekend what kind of task this is going to be ahead..Honestly, doesnt look too bad and it could be made for removable with a solid permanent look...I'll keep everybody informed...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
doesn't seem worth it. Doesn't seem like there is really enough room to do the photoshop job, and is the boat even rated for that many people?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
A-Dub, there is def the room for it and it would make a world of difference. The other reason Im doing this is not to hold more people, its to have the ability to relax on the back bench and my gf wouldnt have to go to the front and then not being able to hear a word she says and just more room for whoever is on the boat to stretch out... The boat is rated for 10 people as it originally is...tight fit but we've done it once. The other nice thing about the wrap around seating is the advantage of storage space. Right now I cant really put anything on that side unless it is heavy enough not to fly out...I think it would be a great addition...
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
Sounds like a girlfriend upgrade would be a cheaper fix. kidding
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
dhtige...lol..nah, im the one with hard hearing, suppose I could just nod my head to what she says, but I have a feeling that could get me in trouble haha...I like the idea of actually getting useful space and not open air but their is remove-ability if needed.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
The job above looks good. Only problem I see with your boat is you don't have a coaming pad along the side for a backrest. You could actually make one that is thick enough to stick out over the cupholders and cover them up. You might be able to use some heavy duty double sided tape (like the stuff used to attach auto trim) to attach the backrests to the gelcoat, so you don't have a bunch of screw holes.

As long as you could take it back to stock, seeing those pics makes me now think something like that might actually add to resale.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Trace, my thought exactly. I wouldnt mind to create a side rest pad even that did screw into the sides since even with the seat removed it would look like it was meant to be there. Thats minimal concern for me as I have options avaliable. The rail is a gap of about 8 inches between the dash side and the gelcoat so I could put it there without a screw being seen.

(Message edited by silvermustang35 on May 08, 2009)