Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
I have had tons of coolers in my days on the water, I got a urge to try out the most expensive cooler I could find A YETI / ICEY TEK Well long story short, my igloo extreme $50.00 / Yeti $300.00........

Igloo extreme Ice holds for 4-5 days no problem.
Yeti 1-2 tops.

Yeti has agreed to swap out coolers to see if I have a bad one, if I eat another $35.00 shipping and go 2 weeks without a cooler (cause I must be a thief)must wait to get mine back first.

When I get the new one You will find it on EBAY
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
If my memory serves me correct, I have heard good things about the Yeti on this forum. I would never pay $300 for a cooler.

If you are into it $300 already, maybe you pay the $35 shipping and see if you do have a "bad one."

Is going 2 weeks without a cooler really that big of deal..... My big camp coolers have not seen sunlight for close to 6 months.....
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-12-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Coolers? Heck, I got rid of my cooler and got an Engel fridge. I can freeze things with it and it will take a beating too! It pays for itself since it uses no ice and no food is ever spoiled and wasted! Nothing like ice cream on the lake when its 125 degrees out...

Upload
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-12-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
How long does it take to get drinks cold from the time you plug it into a 12v outlet. Which place has the best price on these. Seems like a great idea.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-12-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Bill,

Is that 12v? How many amps does it draw? If it's not 12v, how big of a power inverter did you have to install? Also, what's one of these go for?

Thanks!
-Steve
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Am I the only one who knows how to use Google?

http://www.i-m-d.com/engel/
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-12-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
They are big bucks! My dad has had the same one for over thirty years though so it has paid for itself in our eyes. Engels have a very low amp draw due to its special Sawafuji Swing Motor used for the compressor. These were originally made for the Australian Outback.

These are the specs for my model:

Name: 40 Litre Chest Fridge / Freezer
Model No: MT45F-S
Category: Chest Fridge / Freezer
Capacity: 40 Litre (60 X 375ml Cans)
Internal dimensions: H 370 W 380 D 261 (mm)
External dimensions: H 508 W 648 D 364 (mm)
Net Weight: 24.00 Kg
DC Power Consumption: Variable from 0.5 to 2.5 AMPS Maximum
Power: Built In 240Volt AC / 12Volt DC / 24Volt DC

I paid just over $850 for mine but it was on sale. I think retail is over $1,200. This is not a cheesy toy though, it's a true Outback fridge that will last for 30 years and do it's job.

Most people will never buy one of these. But if you camp, hunt, boat, fish, road trip, etc... nothing can beat it! I even run mine on solar when on the houseboat or out in the desert!

My Model

I recommended one of these to Grant a year or so ago for his new pontoon, not sure if he tried it or not.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-12-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
What's google ? Does it come in 12v too ? :-)
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Hmmmm, I have a couple Yetti's (well one is the cabelas version but Yetti makes it and it's the same) that I use to transport meat back and forth after hunting trips and the things rock. Ice always last me 4-5 days. Sorry to hear you got a bad one.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
The problem is how can they charge $300 for a cooler that works the same as a igloo that you can pick up at Acadamy sports for $50.00.

EJ Im Sorry your coolers are sitting in the basement, but it is hot here in florida and we have all of ours in use

This purpose of this site should be to help out other wakeboarders...

And as I see it I just saved someone $285.00 and a lot of headaches.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I have had two Icey Tek's for 4 years and love them. I finally threw out my old igloo ice melters after a seven day trip where I was adding 8 bags of ice a day. Now my ice lasts for days instead of hours. Love the Icey Tek.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   

quote:

By ANAL dine (analdine) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:40 am:
The problem is how can they charge $300 for a cooler that works the same as a igloo that you can pick up at Acadamy sports for $50.00.

EJ Im Sorry your coolers are sitting in the basement, but it is hot here in florida and we have all of ours in use

This purpose of this site should be to help out other wakeboarders...

And as I see it I just saved someone $285.00 and a lot of headaches.

You did if yours in a good one. As stated before, you are not sure if it is. So, are you really helping or just passing on sketchy info on the web?

I have 2 Igloo MaxCold coolers(three if you count a soft side), they do not hold ice for 4-5 days if you are in and out of them regularly. I would guess if we iced them, duct taped them and covered them, they would hold ice that long. But as beer or food coolers that we are in and out of, we ice them daily.

Maybe you are thinking of the Coleman Xtreme? Igloo does not make an "Xtreme Ice", it is a Coleman product AFAIK? Anyway, I have no experience with the Coleman Xtreme, though it is advertised the same as the Igloo "Holds ice up to five days in 90º heat."
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I've yet to find a igloo that works as well as the yetti's. There's a reason the fishing / hunting guides use these things. But like you said.... they are expensive!

Maybe you got a bad one, or maybe I just got a few really good ones.

If you really want your ice to last, just add some rock salt into your ice chest. Just be warned that your beer might freeze. :-)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
I just freeze my water bottles and it seems to work. A trick I learned on this Forum :-)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-14-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
why do you need to keep ice for 5 days on the boat? add a bag every morning if you do need that. 3 hundy for a cooler, sounds like you have 250 burning a hole in your pocket. should have spent that money on the principle of the boat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
I think I was the one telling people how much I liked my Icy Tech cooler. I would not buy any other cooler. IMO the Icy tech's are the best.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/180097.html
IMO they are the bomb. My'n will hold ice 4 a week. (Ill explaine) I have left my cooler with beer and ice in it at the lake house and left it there for a week. I came back a week later and the beer and Ice is still cold. That's pretty diffrent from it sitting in the hot sun all day long and being open and closed every 5 min's but it does give you a idea that Yes they are good cooler's.
I have been out with a bunch of people and IMO no one packs a meaner cooler than ME. I am a cooler Expert. LOL J/K. Sorry yours isn't working like you thought Im guessing you will get it worked out I cant under stand you getting a bad one? I would think they would all be made the same? But anything is possable.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Another Cooler/Icy tech thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/473946.html
Bill are you Bocefus?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Many people have the need. Trips to Bahamas or keys in the larger boat with a big cooler or long weekends with the Malibu. Every morning just add beer.

I would think some of you houseboaters would also see the need or hunters in warmer climate hunt camps, fishermen who run far offshore. Hell, I have two Icey Tec's.

If I'm operating out of a cooler for a longer period of time I get a block of dry ice and supplement with standard ice. $250 is nothing compared to a life time of chasing ice.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Yes, freezing water bottles is also a great trick.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
i can't say enough good things about my icey tek. it is a few years old and i know they have changed the design/name, but i have friends with newer ones and they seem to keep ice just as well as mine. you must have gotten a bad one. 5 days in summer heat left closed is no problem, if you use ice blocks 5 days opening and drinking still keeps beer cold. who puts water in a cooler, that is valuable space
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Icey Tecs have been been around for a while in offshore sport fishing and with more serious offshore guys, they are very popular with all the big boats and captains I know down here. They are perfect for fishing 100 miles out all day and getting back everything ice cold
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-15-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I will put this cooler up against my $300.00 Icey tek any day of the week

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6050A748&categoryid=8580

I use my cooler daily and this coleman will hold ice for 5 days no questions asked. and its only $50.00
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
i agree that the coleman does keep ice very well(i had one), but they are $50 because they fall apart after a season. icey teks last 10+ years with lots of abuse. that is why most professional guides, captains, etc. use them. cheaper in the long run.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
had the igloo version and it sucked ice melted very fast
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2008, 3:42 AM Reply   
How much does the engle weigh and how long will it stay cold without being plugged in? Does it cool fast or over a couple hours?

(Message edited by srock on April 16, 2008)
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
I bought on of these big bobber floating coolers...anyone use one before? Seems to be perfect for floating in the lake or river and not wanting to get back in the boat for a beer.

http://garage-toys.com/bigboflco.html
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Engel-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer-34-Quart_W0QQitemZ360042022231QQihZ023QQcategoryZ7126 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Engel-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer-22-Quart_W0QQitemZ160228944739QQihZ006QQcategoryZ7126 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
All coolers will float when loaded down w/ ice and beer dennis.

At least I haven't found one that doesn't yet :-)