Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    samcdog            12-30-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
What is the best lake for a week long trip in July (after the 4th)? I went to Norfork last summer and it was very nice. I would definitely go there again, but if anyone knows of anywhere better.... I live in central IL and don't really want to drive more than 8 hrs. I was thinking either Missouri or Arkansas again. Norfork was big, deep, crystal clear, calm, deserted, etc..
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-30-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
We go to Table Rock all the time. I like it the best, you can get calm quiet waters, but you also have some creature comforts and can also get to some areas with a little traffic. I have heard Bull Shoals is the best purely "quiet" lake. Very clear.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-30-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
TRL is a good lake to party on, but it can become real busy around the holidays. We have been staying down around the Holiday Island area the last few trips and have found butter everytime. Even on last fourth of July. I have heard that Bullshulls has no traffic, but I grew up going to TRL, so I am sticking with it. Good luck.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-30-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tablerock is outstanding. One of the cleanest lakes in the hemisphere. DeGray,and Oauchitcha are also very nice, but might be a little far. DeQueen will be deserted and is nice as well.
Old    dustin313            12-30-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
you can't go wrong with Norfork I live right on it. Bull Shoals is great also. big long glass coves.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-30-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
Degray is my home lake. Its located in the central part of Arkansas. Its a great lake to ride on. Always butter in certain parts of the lake and good clean water. Beautiful lake all around. I'm usually out there with 4-5 of some other guys with boats. Send me an email if you make it down this wake.
Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-30-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
beaver lake is also really clear, is connected to tabel rock by a large dam.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-31-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
you can't have beer on beaver, or buy it anywhere close. Try again.
Old    wakehawg            12-31-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
As of last summer you could have beer on Beaver Lake. The Sherrif's department had a big shakedown and the new people in charge are in favor of "having a good time" at the lake. There was a big write up here in the paper last Spring to preced lake season. They are big on stopping to check for life jackets. I'll vouch for that. BUT, I don't think I would recommend Beaver to anyone for a long vacation. If you are close, it is nice. If you are driving eight hours I would be sorely disappointed. I don't think it has clear water, and at times can be sort of trashy on the surface. Not to mention I broke 2 props in 2 days last summer running in the middle of the lake in 40 feet of water. Oh well, live and learn.

It sounds like I'm baggin on the lake, but I love it. I just wouldn't recommend anyone taking a vacation here.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-31-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
I wouldn't recommend my butter lake to a bunch of people either.
Old    wakeangel18            12-31-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Table Rock , But i am a little partial. That is were i grew up an learned to Wakeboard. There are alot of fun things to do on TRL ie Cliffs. Also there are great places to stay near the water.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       12-31-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
I'm voting for Bull Shoals. We rode there many times - hardly any boats (6 years ago - last time) and many - many long coves for smooth water no matter what the wind. If you're looking for nightlife or restaurants etc - definately NOT the place. But if the only thing you want to do is ride - this is it.
Old    tfdhyprider            01-01-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
you can drink on beaver. You just have to go way up by the dam. Thats the best water and most beautiful part of hte lake anyway. Buy the beer in springdale or fayetville thats only like 15 minutes away.
Old    tfdhyprider            01-01-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
I agree with you Lloyd. Bull shoals is a pretty lake great riding place.
Old    dustin313            01-01-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
I live 15 minutes from Bull Shoals and one minute from Norfork. They are both great lakes. dURING THE WEEK nORFORK RULES WEEKENS GET KINDA BUSY BUT YOU CAN USUALLT FIND GLASS IF YOU KNOW THE RIGHT SPOTS.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-05-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
My parents live on TRL and I grew up there so I can honestly say that its one of the nicest lakes in the midwest! Pick any weekend except 4th of July and Labor Day and you are almost guaranteed butter somewhere! Plus in the past 2 summers the Kimberling City area has done a good job of getting some restaurants on the water for lunch and dinner. Also there are a ton of other things to do there as Maeghan put it.

Maeghan I didn't know you grew up at TRL! That's pretty sweet! Do you ever come back here to ride it?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-05-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
The port and the clam have been there for at least seven years. Have they put in new ones other than those?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-06-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
Yep, 2 summers ago over near Indian Point they added a restaurant on the boat dock, and last summer someone opened another one at 13 highway boat dock. Both are very good places to eat, especially after a long day on the lake! I recommend the onion rings at both places! Very top notch!
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-06-2004, 6:12 AM Reply   
Oh and the Port and Clam have been there a lot longer than 7 years... I'm thinking more like 15 years...
Old    udlose            01-06-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Oauchitcha is a GREAT lake to go to..especially on like a week long trip, There are over a hundred islands that you can set up camp on...We rented a 14 person house boat last year for a week...beached it on an island that we had to ourselves and there was a channel that curved thru the middle of the island and was about a mile from one end to the other that was about 300ft wide and we were there over the 4th of july weekend and the island and canal were all ours....Also Oauchitcha is the 2nd cleanest lake in the united states behind Tahoe (according to the U.S. Corps)....Depending on were you stay on the lake there are restaruants on the lake and at most a 30min drive into Hot Springs for more food or clubing.....If you go down there I DEFINITALLY recommending putting on Lake Hamilton for a day....Not to Wakeboard only but to go to the INFAMOUS "Sand Bar".....It is "Party Cove" of the South.....If you happen to go down to Oauchitcha for the 4th let me know we will be making the trek from Wichita KS with my '03 MC 205V and my family lives in Hot Springs so we can take you to all the hot spots.....
Old    tfdhyprider            01-06-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Arkansas's INT is pulled on this little cut off part of the Arkansas river. It's hot stuff. Kinna muddy but if you are like me and care more about the butter thatn its the place to be. The pretty stuff is nice to have around tho.
Old    wakehawg            01-06-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
Wow, gotta respect the man who will get in the Arkansas River. Very brave. I grew up sailing on that river, and looking back I wonder what my parents were thinking letting me in that water.
Old    wakeangel18            01-07-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
I don't get back to TRL very much. Wish I could. Does Indian point still have the Floating Cafe? They had the best food.
I hope to make it there soon.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-07-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Indian Point closed that one but they opened a new one 2 summers ago and its pretty darn good! Always busy but great food!

Where did you ride while you were there Meaghan? We are always in Little Cow Cove or deep in Indian Point.
Old    wakeangel18            01-07-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
I rode in Indian Point and the Other little cove right there. Never Really went to Little Cow or Big Cow. I miss going to the Cliffs and The Swing. I have never found anything like that anywhere. Most of my family still lives down in Springfield so I hope to come some time this summer.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-07-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
Not that you don't have your own boat but look me up next time you go down... Me and my Mastercraft are always on the lake in the summertime on the weekends!
Old    dustin313            01-07-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
Anyone else ever ride much at NORFORK? OR Bullshoals?
Old    high_risk            01-07-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
I ride alot at greers ferry and can be fun at times when its smooth. Its a clean lake and no one is on it during the week. It can be choppy at times so its best to go early in the morning and in the evening. Also has some cool cliffs.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
I'm with dustin...Norfork!! We need to hook up and ride this year dustin!!
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-08-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
I spend a week at Bull Shoals over the fourth of July and have a friend that has a place at Norfork. My family has a place at Greers Ferry. Bull Shoals is a clean lake with some awesome scuba diving if you are into that.