Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
I'm selling my boat, but am wondering where everyone has had the best luck selling there's.

Boat Trader, Only Inboards, Wakeworld, etc??

Thanks.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
if the price is right Craigslist
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-28-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
if the price is right... that is the key. It's a tougher time to sell if you are trying to get anywhere close to retail on it. When i've sold boats this year, i listed them everywhere i could not including boattrader, usedboats, iboats, etc.

listed on craiglist (i never had luck with that personally), planetnautique, tmcowners, themalibucrew (if it was one of those makes), ski-it-again.com, ww, wakeboarder, any local wake sites. Put a for sale sign on it.

Of the 4 boats I sold this year, 3 came from leads from my site, and 1 from someone seeing it for sale on my lake. But, i just think getting it out there in as many places as possible is always the best bet for selling a boat.
Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-28-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I sold mine on auto-rv.com because they put out free magazines each week. However I think they are more of a regional paper. The boat I bought was listed on Onlyinboards.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Sold mine on Craigslist in less than a week for the same price I paid for it 7 years before.

Bought the new one after seeing it on Wakeworld & theMalibucrew.com. Then saw it on the dealer's website.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-28-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Toying with the idea of putting mine up for sale. Won't be giving it away, will be firm on price. I don't have to sell, really like the boat, it's been great. Just figure that if there is someone out there who really wants it, I'd sell, pick up a new ride. If not, completely happy with the one I've got. Not a bad place to be, I guess.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Right on, I'll check out some of the sites. My boat is definately priced right, below NADA.

Anyone wanna buy a Supra??

(Message edited by BBR on November 28, 2007)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-28-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
one thing that might help is that new prices are through the roof once again. When boat show season comes things will pick up.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-28-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
sold all my boats this last year on craigslist.

never mess with the traders.
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-28-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Brandon,sold mine through Wakeworld a guy from canada. Who ever buys yours will get a awesome boat.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-28-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
sold two boats this year on craigslist, unfortunately sold my brendella too cheap as it sold in less than an hour...that was before I was aware of wakeworld....oh well
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-28-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
The last two times I sold a boat, I sold them both within 3 weeks of putting them up for sale. I think the key is saturation. I pasted ads in the classified section of every wake forum I could find across the country. The only ad I paid for was boat trader.

Most forums such as this one will let you post an ad absolutely free. The first boat I sold to someone about 3 hours away and the second one I sold to someone 3 states away. There may be a person out there who doesn't know that they want to buy your boat. That person won't be going to boat trader or craigs list looking for your boat because they are not in the market to buy one. However, if you post an ad for your boat in the local forum that they read 5 times a day, they may see your boat by chance and decide that your deal is too good to pass up.

In addition to saturation, the key is listing every possibile detail about your boat (hours, etc.), at least 4-5 photos showing detail, and most importantly, the price. I'm always amazed at people who list a boat for sale with no info (hours), no price, and no pictures. There are far too many boats for sale for a potential buyer to waste his time calling sellers to find out info that should have been listed in the first place. Why should a buyer be interested in an ad like that when the ad next to it gives them all the information they need to know?

My .02

(Message edited by nauty on November 28, 2007)
Old     (lunchbox)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-28-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
I say it doesn't hurt to put your boat on craigslist no matter what price it is... It's free and maybe you'll generate some interest... That's the first place I looked when i started shopping for boats. I actually check it frequently just to see what's out there... However I wouldn't stop there I also check several other sites... IMO Craigslist is a good place to post your sale in conjunction with whatever else your doing...
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
Onlyinboards.com got me a quick response in August.. Sold mine in less than a week. Ditto the comments on other message boards. Put it on the Moomba and Supra boards. put it on here.
Now is nota good time to sell but I bet plenty are thinking about it just not willing to shell out cash at Christmas..
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-28-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
craigslist.org

I paid for boat trader online and the magazine and didn't recieve on call. Then I used craigslist and got 3 call a day until I sold it from someone from craigslist ad. It is free too.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-28-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
I bought my current boat on boattrader.com but I have also looked at the boattrader mag craigslist ebay Wakeworld etc...put them on all the sites craigslist is free ebay isnt bad boattrader I think is 130 bucks til sold not bad when you think about selling the boat for 40-50 grand
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-28-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Craigs List, in the first week in May, took two days...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-28-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
....bottom line is money no matter where you post....I think buyers out there are very patient and will not over pay for a boat. If your in tune to the market and have been following your particular boat you will know what they are selling at....that will give you a good idea what your boat should go for. When I sell cars or boats I become a buyer and call other sellers to see if their vehicles have sold and for how much.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-28-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Sold my Sanger V210 on Craigslist, was asking 30k and got 28k.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
I sold my boat via Onlyinboards. It was the only site I got any action from, tried boattrader, flipsell etc.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-29-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
I sold my X2 on Craigslist in one week.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
It's funny I looked into Craigslist, but they don't let you post in two different areas at the same time. What the hell?

I live in Bakersfield, but want to have it listed in several places. Anyway to get around that one?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-30-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
Sold my boat to a guy in Guadalajara Mexico via Wakeworld. He drove 20+ hours each way to buy it site unseen only to spend another 18 hours at the border trying to get the boat across with no title since the boat was financed and the lender would send it out.

The key is price. The market for used boats is beyond saturated and people have unrealistic expectations for what their boat is worth. If priced right, your boat will sell fast. If it has been up for sale and nobody is biting.......I'm amazed every single day that I look at the web by what people think their boat is worth when posting up for sale ads.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-30-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
Having said that, I just looked at your ad. Nice boat at a good price. Like onlyinboards said, you just got to get it out there for the right person to find. Just takes a little time.

Another thing to consider is that buying used is much harder on the buyer than buying new. Interest rates are higher so buyers tend to shop around. Once they decide on a boat and a lender, it can then take 2 weeks give or take to set the financing up if they don't have 40k in cash set aside for a boat which most don't. Anyone with credit and a paycheck can walk into a dealership and walk out an hour later with a 60+k boat in tow for the same payment as the used boat.
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
I had a 02 Sea Ray that I sold on Craigslist to the first person that called. So I would have to say Craigslist.
Good luck.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-01-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
I have bought and sold 6 boats in the last 3 years. I found most of my boats on Craigslist. I found 1 of my boats on wakeworld but have never sold any on Wakeworld. Lots of questions but no real buyers. I have sold all of my boats from Boattrader and Only inboards.
For selling I think the most serious buyers will be looking on Boattrader and Only inboards. It is a tough time of year to sell and the economy is slow because of the houseing market. Dont over price your boat or you wont get any action and as mentioned above Saturation will dictate price.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
I sold my last boat on craigslist. BadBoy, I had it listed on craigslist in two different areas -- OC and LA. You just have to place the ad twice.
Old    ausbill32            12-03-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
I sold mine on craigslist in 2 days.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-03-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
onlyinboards or on here

bought one off craigslist