Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
We just found out that our storage facility had been broken into this weekend, almost every storage unit was hit. It seems that the morons who broke into ours were not boating people, but knew their way around stereos. Basically lifted out all the speakers, stereo, amp and cut wires. They tried to get our tower speakers off, did some major damage to the exterior of the speaker cans, got one speaker out but not the other. (JL audio cans). They couldn't get the cans off the tower, but I don't know what damage was done trying to get them off. Various knobs etc were stolen along with all of our wetsuits and life vests etc...but they left all of our new boards, ropes and other gear.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice of what to look for now, since everything is torn apart. I 'm mostly concerned about the electrical, since they were happily cutting wires as they went. Luckily they didn't take a sawzall to it, so their is not fiberglass damage.

Any advice on what to look for next? (06 X2)

Thanks in advance and I hope this never happens to any of you.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
That sucks!. I had my HU stolen from my boat when it was up for sale with 2 Bose Indoor/outdoor speakers. The HU was only 2 months old.

I would look to remove all existing wiring from the boat (stereo involed wiring) and look to upgrade to a nice high quality speaker wire through out the boat. The JL stuff in the MC's is not bad, but now would be a great time to upgrade the entire system.
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
I was thinking it would be a great time to upgrade, but not sure what's even out there. Never even looked because we had it all before.
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       01-15-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Polk MOMO components are really sweet speakers. Sorry to hear that you got your stuff stolen, i worry about that all the time too.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Polk and Kicker both make bomb proof stuff that is high quality and marine grade (it is not listed as marine) JL is well know with their subs. I would lean towards the car audio stuff over the marine stuff. Most marine speakers are still not up to par with the car audio. I will make a push for the Wetsounds speaker on the tower. They are by far the best sounding and loudest speaker I have every been around on a boat. As for Amps- same thing Car audio just keep them in a protected area like under the observers seat. Amps there are many great makers but you will pay more for good clean power. I am running all Kicker because that is what my shop sells the most and preferres in boats.

Here is a link to my set up just as a reference point.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=2264
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Sweet setup. Thanks for the specifics. That is one of the best looking Tige's I have seen.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks. Just a rip off of your boat

As you look into new equipment there are many very knowledgeble stereo guys on these boards.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-15-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
guys i got a simple car alarm and pin switches for my boat the other day. Super simple to put in and im adding a battery backed up siren along with those deafening piezo sirens. Im going to add a prox sensor and maybe a pressure sensor. Anyone have any any ideas for it. I am a dealer with this company so i get alarms and stuff decently cheap and installing them on a boat is pretty simple but im stoked because it even has a starter kill and onboard relays for flashing light output so i can hook it up to lights on the boat and light it up like the 4th of july hahahaha,
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-16-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
maybe upgrade to a storage unit that has its own garage door with a lock that you only have the key for?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-16-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Yeah at my storage unit they recommended a certain lock that could not be cut. Doesn't mean they can't be in, but much harder and no break ins with that kind of lock. American series 2000 or something like that?

A friend on mine on the lake and a neighbor had his stuff stolen before christmas, but they must have known a little about boats b/c they left the tower speakers. realized they probably would have a hard time getting rid of them.

Texas stereo (www.boatstereo.com) sells boat alarms for ~$250, but in storage it won't help a ton. Just alarm may scare em off.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-16-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have had my stereo gear stolen twice. Often it is the case that the damage they do to the boat costs more than the gear they stole, and certainly more than they could get for the gear.

I pretty much had to completely re-wire the entire stereo installation, including battery power distribution after the last time. Fortunately, the damage was isolated to the stereo wiring, non of the engine electrical was bothered.
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Currently shopping for a new place to store our boat. Rod- did you do the rewire yourself or have someone do it?
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-16-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
had 3jl 500/1's, 3 12w6;s, and a brandspakin' new alpine deck stolen from the side yard of the house while we slept inside.... not a fun morning
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-17-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
I have done all the amplifier/speaker instalation and wiring myself.