Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Here is a lil news story and pictures from a recent event on Lake Lanier in Atlanta. Long story short, a boat exploded while fueling at the Marina.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=115327

UploadUpload

Please....run your blowers.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Do you just let the blowers run non-stop?
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
no, but start them before you open the gas cap
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
never let it run non-stop, it will starve the engine compartment of air. just anytime before re-starting and long enough to ventilate (2-4 minutes) and/or maybe open one of your engine hatches or motor hatch to help with the process..

those pics are a scary situation to think about!
glad nobody (else) was filling up in the next slip over..
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-06-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
use the blower gas fumes are heavier than air and will sit at the bottom of the boat hense the reason the blower tube is always down in the bilge.
Old     (unclej)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-06-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
If my engine is running, my blower is running. I've never noticed any adverse effects to the motor or how the boat runs. I also run it for a short time before start up.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-06-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Yep, I run mine all the time.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
There's definitely no way you are going to "starve" the engine compartment of air with a little bilge blower!! I imagine that the air you are exhausting with the blower is being replaced at an essentially equivalent rate by air coming through one of the many pathways from the atmosphere to the engine compartment.

The engine compartment would have to be nearly airtight and you'd have to have a pretty darn strong motor to create even the smallest of vacuums inside the compartment.

That being said, I don't run mine as often as I probably should.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
I run mine before I start the motor and whenever im in a no wake zone or idleing.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
clarification: not completely "starve" (figure of speech) but enough in the past where my boat has had difficulty in re-starting when my wife has left it running during a pull.. meaning, "starving" of it air, does that work better for you guys?.. just trying to support the whole air/fuel mixture thing for fuel injection..
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Run your blower while fueling and whenever your boat is running and not on plane. It will in no way effect the way your boat runs. (starve engine for air)

The blower picks up the heavy gas fumes that might be in the bilge. When the boat is on plane there will be enough air movement to flush gas fumes out of the bilge.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
i always turn mine on before I start the boat a couple years back a buddy of mine fueled up and didn't turn his on and it damn near blew the thing in half pretty scary stuff
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
This is a practice I have moved away from for some reason....good advice and time to reimplement the blower.

Do people turn on the blower while refueling on land?
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
It's not a bad idea to pop your engine cover open and take a sniff before launching too.
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   

quote:

Do people turn on the blower while refueling on land?

There's no ignition so there's no point.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-06-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Yup.... good points guys. We used to always run the blower when filling up and when starting the engine. I honestly probably haven't done it in a couple years now. Tisk, tisk.... I'll try to get back in the habbit of it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Wow, unreal picture.

I bought my first extended pylon from a guy who's boat blew up. Seems like he runs a board shop now days in Richmond.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
Its amazing that noone died in the explosion. The lady was lucky to escape with minor burns and scrapes but the other two were burned kinda bad.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-06-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
I find it hard to believe that not running a blower would be the cause of that. They had to have some sort of major gas leak going on.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
???? wow! I am def changing my ways. Used to never turn it on, except on starts when first launching. With my kids in the boat/or anyone..."better safe than sorry"!
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Clint,
I read a article about the subject a few years back and was amazed at how little gas it takes to make a good size explosion.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
our blower has been hooked up to another bilge pump
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   

quote:

'While attending a boat accident investigation course a few years ago, I learned that fumes from a single cup of gasoline spilled or leaked into the bilge of a boat could result in an explosion equal to that of several dynamite sticks. It then would be logical to believe that dissolving fuel tanks could lead to an explosive situation.

http://www.marinebusiness-world.com/Ethanol,-Fibreglass,-and-now-Biodiesel-warnings/43885
Old    walt            05-06-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   

quote:

Most boat fires and explosions occur shortly after refueling. Gasoline fumes are much heavier than air and can collect in the lower parts of a boat, such as the bilges. One cup of vaporizing gasoline has the explosive equivalency of 15 sticks of dynamite.

To reduce the risk of an explosion occurring:
Before fueling, turn off all engines, motors and fans and extinguish open flames. Close all ports, doors, windows and hatches to prevent fumes from entering enclosed areas.

While fueling, keep the nozzle or spout in contact with the mouth of the tank to prevent the buildup of static electricity from producing a spark. Tanks for outboard motors should be filled on the dock or on shore. Be careful not to spill any fuel or overfill the tank. Always allow space for expansion of gasoline to prevent overflowing.

After fueling, close tanks and wipe up any gasoline spills, properly disposing of the wipe-up rag on shore. Open all ports, doors, windows and hatches and turn on the exhaust blower. Ventilate the boat for at least five minutes and sniff in and around the engine compartment before starting engine. Although your nose is the most reliable detector to determine whether gasoline vapors are present, consult a marine dealer about electronic vapor detectors which prevent the ignition from starting if fuel vapors are detected.

Maintaining your boat can also reduce risks. Regularly inspect the condition of fuel lines. Look for loose connections, cracked hoses or other leaks. Keep the flame arrestor clean and securely attached to the carburetor.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/opsguide/ohiovr2/tabid/2752/Default.aspx
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Walt what do you mean by this?

"dissolving fuel tanks"
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-06-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Your nose is your a friend when you own a boat. Learn what the different smells mean, I agree with Walt, running the blower before starting is good but take a sniff when you make that last check double check that your plug is in.

Gassing at the marina is always somewhat sketchy, tons of opportunities for explosion or electric shock. I prefer gassing on the road before a good 65mph wind gets an opportunity to push the fumes out the back.

I have been boating all my life, I have been on fire twice in a boat. It happens quicker than you think. It also helps to understand that it takes air, fuel, and a spark to make fire. Once it's started you need to eliminate one of the first two to stop it. Sometimes a wet towel is more effective than a fire extinguisher on small fires. Acting quickly is key once a fire gets moving.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-06-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
i can understand fumes here and there but how does fuel get spilled like that into the bilge? If it did wouldnt it just mix with the small amount od water thats always in there.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-06-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Clint, gasoline burns but gas fumes blow up. You get a much bigger explosion from dropping a match in an empty gas barrel than you do if you drop one into a full gas barrel.
Once you've got the explosion everything gets hot enough to burn. Oil in the bilge, upholstery, carpet, gasoline, etc.

Running the blower gets rid of the fumes, that's why you need to do it when you idle or before starting. It takes a while to clear all the fumes, just like that bathroom fan. That's why they want it run for several minutes.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Wow that is an eye opener We have been trying to remember to turn it on with the new boat our old boat had an automatic blower
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Pitty your passengers if you don't believe this can happen from not running your blower.

When carbs were the norm on boats this was a lot more common. I knew some guys in Canyon Lake who had an old CC 2001. They had replaced the carb on it at some point & apparently something didn't get put back together right. Several days afterward the boat burned to the waterline because they didn't run the blower & the carb/fuel line must have leaked a bit.
Old     (j_knight)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
I run the blower then open the hatch for 1 min then start the motor this is a good time to get a look at the eng compartment. When fueling I run it on the way to the fuel dock {no wake zone}them kill all power to the boat and open the rear hatch.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-07-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Its important to remember that WHILE Fueling, you do not want the blower or anything else running.

"To reduce the risk of an explosion occurring:
Before fueling, turn off all engines, motors and fans and extinguish open flames. Close all ports, doors, windows and hatches to prevent fumes from entering enclosed areas. "
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-07-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
there's dog staring at the fire.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-07-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
You know, you would think that with these dangers that boat companies would devise some sensors in our engine compartment that automatically turn the blower on. I neglect using mine sometimes too. I don't run full speed around the lake, most of the time I run as slow as it will go to keep from tearing up the lake. Going slow like that I would think that the blower should be running. This is a good thread, and good things to be aware of.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Nubu,

I read about the dissolving gas tank thing recently. I didn't read Walt's link, but in a nutshell, lots of older boats (typically bigger boats and fishing boats for ocean use) have fiberglass gas tanks that are prone to being eaten up by the somewhat recent addition of ethanol into gasoline supplies.

The article I read featured a couple guys whose tanks literally melted away after some time and required expensive overhauls and repairs.

Walt's quote must have been referring to the hypothesis that dissolving tanks likely leads to gasoline vapors in the bilge and potential explosions.

I know all the new ski/wakeboard boats use plastic-based tanks and thus are not susceptible to being dissolved by ethanol, but I wonder if any of the older ski boats ever used fiberglass tanks.

Danny
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-07-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Gotcha I read about that to.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-07-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
My 78 master craft had an aluminum tank.

My 77 century had an aluminum tank,

My 85 searay had an aluminum tank,

my 87 magnum had an aluminum tank,

my 91 nautique had a plastic tank

my 93 nautique had a plastic tank,

my 98 nautique has a plastic tank.

man that sucks about the guy at the dock, that would ruin your summer.
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
I am sure that running the blower at any time is a good safety precaution. But, by design, the fuel system is sealed. It has one input and two outputs. The input is obviously where you fill the tank. One output is to the engine and the other is a fuel tank vent. The fuel tank vent is on the outside of the boat. For fuel (vapor or liquid) to enter the engine compartment would mean there is a malfunction somewhere in the fuel system, i.e. cut, crack, looses fitting, etc. Personally, I run the blower almost constantly because I forget to turn it off after putting the boat in the water. Also, I store my boat with the engine cover open; mostly to help the boat dry out.
Old     (ta_barracus)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Damn! That's the marina where I drop my boat in every weekend. I'm glad I wasn't there at the time.