Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
I am trying to get my new prop on my boat but cannot get the thing to go on all the way. It goes about 3/4 the way on the shaft and stops. I have tried all I can think of to get it all the way on past the threads. Does the prop key go in the prop before putting on or on the shaft then slid the prop on? Any help you all can give me would be great so I can go boarding tom. Thanks
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Does your shaft look OK and will it turn by hand? Shaft could be bent. I have seen a guy put a little grease on to help the prop up the shaft. The key goes into the key slot on the shaft before you put the prop on. Try this tutorial as well.

Prop Install Guide
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
First, slide the prop on without the key, mark the shaft at the rear of the prop hub. Now install the key in the groove, and slide the prop back on making sure the key stays put. The prop should reach back to the fully seated mark you made, if not sand/file the key on the side facing up until the prop slides back to your mark. If you can, fit the new prop with a new key and save the original key and prop for easy swap out later if needed because once you sand down that key, it won't work with the original prop. It is not as important for the key to be super tight in the groove as it is for the prop to go on all the way.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
That article is pretty good exept for marking the old props position. Even props from the same company can have slightly shorter or longer hubs. And even more so for a different brand than you had on there. You should always slide the new prop on without the key and mark it, this way you're guaranteed to be right.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on July 06, 2007)
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Ok,,I tried sliding the prop on w/out the key and it still only goes to the same spot. The end of the hub is not flush w/the nut threads. So I tried the same thing w/the factory prop and it stops at the same place the new one does. Stupid me did not mark were the prop was at before I pulled the factory prop. Is it possible that that is were the prop should stop at?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
What do you mean not flush with the nut threads? Ant chance you could post a pic? It sounds like thats where it should stop at.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-06-2007, 11:41 PM Reply   
well the shaft is tapered so the prop should not slide all the way on so that the nuts goes to the end of the theads on the propshaft, however, just make sure you got the correct prop for the propshaft diameter you have... there are inch and inch and an eighth propshafts on the market, be sure you have the correct one and you will be fine...