Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
I live about 3 minutes from a resevoir that doesn't allow tubing and lake lice, so we get a decent amount of inboards. The water we used to live near was probably one of (if not the) biggest wakeboarding waters in Ohio. But we really lack the brands here:

- Most wake and ski boats are Malibus - hell, I bought a Malibu locally
- Next is Mastercraft, and 75% of those are 90's inboards
- From there, to a much lesser degree Supra's and Correct Craft boats of all years, but mostly 2000+

That's about it. There is one nearly new Centurion that wakesurfs a lot on our water. I've seen a couple Moombas for sale locally but never on the water. I have never seen a Sanger, Gekko, Supreme, MB Sport, Epic, Calabria, Tigé, etc. Not for sale locally or on the water. The local Malibu dealers (we have 3 that I know of) started selling Axis but I've never seen one on the water.

Is that common in other areas of the country? I see a reasonable amount of wakeboats for sure, just no brand diversity at all.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
That resevoir sounds like heaven tri me.

Around me there is primarily malibu and mastercraft and I would say 2005+ boats. Seems like the used boats get sold out of area/state. I see a small ammount of older supras, very few tige's, some centurion's, couple sangers, few mb's, and I've even seen 2 epics. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving out but that's the majority.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
My lake is mostly TIge, with malibu and master craft coming in second. No sangers or Epics out there. 2 axis, 1 MB, couple supras, and a few moombas, couple centurions, I think one callebra
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
oh, and a couple nice sans
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-16-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
my lake is small and in the middle of nowhere IL but there are MCs, Bu, CC, Moomba, Supra, MB, Centurion and there used to be a few Tiges and even a Session. But MC is the majority.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-16-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
I live and boat in an area that if you have a newer wakeboat then your "baller" status. Maybe 1 out of 15 boats is a true wakeboat. Malibus, Moombas, older MC, and Supra are most popular. Then I've seen a few new SAN, Centurion, a few older Tiges, couple Sangers, couple of X-Stars, one Epic (sad that the Epic is a 2007 model that finally sold in 2011 and Epic took away any warranty due to the boat bei g outside uncovered for 4 years...poor boat), couple of older MB, and 3 Axis with mine included. Since wakeboats are not the norm on the lake I use I like that you can pull up to any of them and you feel like you're in a fraternity of some sort.

Last edited by you_da_man; 08-16-2011 at 4:29 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
That resevoir sounds like heaven tri me.

Around me there is primarily malibu and mastercraft and I would say 2005+ boats. Seems like the used boats get sold out of area/state. I see a small ammount of older supras, very few tige's, some centurion's, couple sangers, few mb's, and I've even seen 2 epics. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving out but that's the majority.
I am in nubu's area. I think there are a fair amount of Supra and moomba boats as well. There use to be a good amount of calabria's but they haven't had a dealer for a few years.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-16-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
You guys would laugh if you went boating in Austin,tx. Seems like 9 out of every 10 boats is a nearly new wakeboat. Everywhere you look it's a $80k-$100k wakeboat pulling a tube
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
Our dock has 17 slips on it.... largest dock on a 700 acre lake (numerous other lakes in the area too). Recently someone commented on the mix of boat brands on our dock. 4 Malibus, 2 MCs, 1 Sanger, 1 Bayliner WakeChallenger (MC Maristar), and a handful of I/Os.

The rest of the area has a very similar mix too. Lots of Malibus. Quite a few MCs. Not many Nautiques, saw 1 MB TomCat last weekend, recently a Centurian Enzo showed up on our lake, rarely a Calabria, etc.

Although I did run into a guy who owns a Mike Murphy Calabria not too long ago. He's a SkySki rider who made the purchase from the Merced factory & went down to pick it up himself.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-16-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Used to be one malibu...and that was me. There is a 08 x star but it hasnt been out in a couple years due do the guy gettin married and having kids, his wife just doesn't enjoy it like she used to. Occasionally a wakeboat will come through but that hardly ever happens. There are 0 now that I sold my boat
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-16-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
This is interesting. I live in an area where you have to go at least an hour and a half to find any kind of inboard dealer. Our lake is little so I think I can name every inboard I have ever seen on it.

05ish Malibu lsv
05ish supra 21v
00ish malibu lsv
95ish malibu direct drive x2
my 82 nautique

That is it. We are a small group. No one wakeboards with any constancy.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-16-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
I live on one of the largest lakes lakes in Texas and mostly I see Rangers,Skeeters, and Champions. I have seen a few other Bu's, a couple of Tige's, a Moomba, one local X2. Occasionally a Nautique or Axis. Then on big weekends the water killing Scarab's and cabin cruisers tear up what little smooth water there is. I have never seen a MB, Sanger, or any of the other smaller named boats. Closest inboard dealer is 2.5-3 hours drive.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-16-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
i ride at a lake that is primary moomba/supra because of a local dealer.... another lake close by is dominated by Nautiques... everything from 200s to 216s to SAN 210s and SAN 230s. Probably has something to do with an NHL player on the lake having a 230.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
There are still very few wakesurf/wakeboard boats in Burlington, Vermont - we have 2 Ski Supreme's, a MasterCraft MariStar, a few Malibus, a Supra, a un-Epic, that's about it!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
There are hardly any Nautiques around these parts in Southern utah/nevada. The Las Vegas dealer went under and the northern Utah dealer does not have the strongest reputation.

The only inboard dealer in southern utah has sold the crap out of Supremes, so they outnumber everything else 2:1 I would guess. Malibu needs to get off their butts and get a contract, or he will end up with another higher end boat line. Currently Supreme is the only inboard boat line that Roger's Performance Marine carries. Although we are a small area, there are a lot of inboards to be sold around here.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-16-2011, 11:33 PM Reply   
Here's what I see in Portland: Malibu, Mastercraft, Supra, Moomba, MB, Tige, and beginning to see Axis.

Here is what I RARELY see in Portland: Calabria, Supreme

Here is what NEVER see in Portland: Nautique, Epic, and Sanger

It's basically a matter of dealer coverage. All the boats on the top line have strong dealers here. The others, not so much.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-17-2011, 1:31 AM Reply   
In Ireland there's no moomba's, supras, epics, axis, centurions and only like 1 tige. From there its bu's nautiques and mastercrafts only....oh and bayliners
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-17-2011, 4:32 AM Reply   
The big 3 around here...Malibu, Nautiques and Mastercraft bit thats also bc Im not around public lakes here. Public waters would be 90% center console saltwater boats.

Where's this "biggest wakeboarding waters" in Ohio? I moved from Ohio 8 yrs ago.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Hardly any inboard / v-drive boats around here, but the most common ones (in order of how often I see them on our lake) are Mastercraft, Moomba, Correct Craft and Malibu. I'm the only Axis that I'm aware of, and based on the questions I get, I am pretty sure that our boat is the first one that most people have seen. I've see an older Supreme and an Aztec from time to time, and there are a few Centurions, but I haven't really seen them around this year.

The local dealers only sell Mastercraft, Moomba, Correct Craft, and Centurion, so that's what we see most of (except for Centurion, but that dealership seems to be very focused on selling fishing boats and pontoons).
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
Here in Chattanooga, we see a lot of 2008+ wakeboats. Mostly MC and BU/Axis. There are a handful of CC and Centurian boats on the water. Zero, and I mean I have never seen a single one in 6 years in Chattanooga, MBs or Tiges. I ride a fair amount in Knoxville too. You seem to see a bit of everything in Knoxville.

I'll be at the PWT stop next weekend in Knox, and expect to see a bunch of sweet new boats.
Old     (fifty)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-17-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
I live in Northern Canada. in the late 80's early 90's (when I was a kid) we were the only folks with a CC on the water. Now it is crazy!! there are new wakeboard boats every where you look. Last weekend I saw no less than 6 different Malibus, 7 Supras, 5 MC's, 1 gecko, 4 moomba's, 6 Correct Craft's loaded to the nutz and 1 MB. there is this other off brand which I had never seen befor with speekers moulded into the tower. these are all new boats out there.... some of the families even have 1 boat for wakeboarding and one for slalom skiing (pretty cool they love the water that much)
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
I don't think there is one inboard dealer in the state of New Mexico. At our lake we do not see too many wakeboats, but the ones we do see always seem to be newer. There is a lot of oil and gas money in the area by the lake so occasionally we see a really nice brand new one. I think they take them out once or twice and call it a summer. None of these people seem to have a clue as to what they are doing. I have only seen them board a small handful of times. They mostly tube and surf. They are usually on newer MCs or Malibus. I have also seen one other Supra and a couple Moombas. I have never seen an MB, Axis or SAN out here. Last year I spotted one Tige.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
What amazes me is the number of inboard and v-drive boats and how common they have become throughout the country. I remember how rare it was to see an inboard ski boat where I grew up in Northeast Illinois and Southern Wisconsin in the late to early 80's. I went to college in Florida in 1984 and would trailer a MC or CC home each semester and sell them at a couple grand profit. That was good money for a college kid in the early 80's. At the time the boats I was buying were $8-$10,000.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Nautique has basically taken over Steuben County in Indiana. There are more SANs on the lake this year than I have ever seen in the past, including 5-6 brand new ones. Next I would say is MC, but were dwindling by the year it seems. Hell, well prolly move to a SAN or 'Bu in a couple years. After that its a combination of Bu's and Moombas/Supras. Never seen a Tige except for a early 90s one that is regularly out riding.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Oh and Axis is virtually non existent. Never seen one, nor have I seen one in a dock or on a trailer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
I'm from Richmond VA.The James river is our claim to fame,but i wouldn't put my boat in it.So we go north to Lake Anna.The most popular new boats on the lake are Malibu[there is a dealer on the lake].Then i would say it's close between Mastercraft[no local dealer anymore]and Supra[a local dealer at the lake].Most of the few Nautiques you see are 2007 or older.Tige used to have a dealer about 35 miles away but they just do service now.More Tige's on the lake than Nautiques though.There are Moomba's,MB's,Axis and some Centurionsbut i've never seen a Sanger and maybe one Ski Supreme a while ago.All in all i would say we have a good mix of boats on the lake.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
I pretty much only see other MC's as I ride in salt. I saw a Malibu once. I have never seen a MB up close but dying to check one out as the reviews on here are A++.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-17-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Rob. That's probably a Wakecraft. There was a local guy here in Abbotsford that was trying to be a dealer for a year or so.

New boats around where I live outside Vancouver are Malibu, Correct Craft, Mastercraft, and Tige. Some Moomba's, Supra's and Centurions. a couple Supreme's. Only ever seen a newer MB which was a F23 Tomcat. A few older MB's from the early 2000's like mine. Never seen an Epic.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
The only inboard dealer in southern utah has sold the crap out of Supremes, so they outnumber everything else 2:1 I would guess. Malibu needs to get off their butts and get a contract, or he will end up with another higher end boat line. Currently Supreme is the only inboard boat line that Roger's Performance Marine carries. Although we are a small area, there are a lot of inboards to be sold around here.
I imagine Utah Watersports has the territory locked in for selling MC, maybe even Supra, Moomba & Centurion? Maybe they aren't workin your part of the state due ot how far people would travel? This is the same company that has MC, Supra, Moomba & Centurion here in Spokane & Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty View Post
I live in Northern Canada. in the late 80's early 90's (when I was a kid) we were the only folks with a CC on the water. Now it is crazy!! there are new wakeboard boats every where you look. Last weekend I saw no less than 6 different Malibus, 7 Supras, 5 MC's, 1 gecko, 4 moomba's, 6 Correct Craft's loaded to the nutz and 1 MB.
I have a buddy in Vancouver who is a long haul truck driver. He's been hauling boats back to Canada from the western US for several years now. Buying them cheap & selling them for a few grand profit. I just saw him a few weeks ago & he said he's averaging 12 - 15 boats a year for over 3 yrs now.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
My lake is mostly TIge, with malibu and master craft coming in second. No sangers or Epics out there. 2 axis, 1 MB, couple supras, and a few moombas, couple centurions, I think one callebra
Chris, I think there are only 2 or 3 Epics in the whole state! My buddy has one but we are out at Empire (another big Tige lake). We have a lot of Tige's, some Malibu, MC, Nautique, at least 2 MB's , Centurions, a Moomba or two and then a bunch of misc runabouts/pontoons.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-17-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
I imagine Utah Watersports has the territory locked in for selling MC, maybe even Supra, Moomba & Centurion? Maybe they aren't workin your part of the state due ot how far people would travel? This is the same company that has MC, Supra, Moomba & Centurion here in Spokane & Seattle. .
Utah water sports has the area locked up as far as MC and Centurion goes, and I am sure they would not want to give up the territory. Many of us here are transplants from Northern Utah, so we identify with them more than Vegas. But Salt Lake is 300 miles away.

I am sure the problem with Malibu giving the dealership here is Taylor's boats in Salt Lake would be mad, and the dealership in Vegas (120 miles away) would also be mad. There are a handful of Malibus that get sold here every year, some from both Vegas and SLC, but I am sure the market share would go over the top if they gave a dealership to Roger's Performance Marine.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have only seen 3 wakeboats in my entire life on my lake.
And older Supra, and two almost brand new Malibus.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty View Post
I live in Northern Canada. in the late 80's early 90's (when I was a kid) we were the only folks with a CC on the water. Now it is crazy!! there are new wakeboard boats every where you look. Last weekend I saw no less than 6 different Malibus, 7 Supras, 5 MC's, 1 gecko, 4 moomba's, 6 Correct Craft's loaded to the nutz and 1 MB. there is this other off brand which I had never seen befor with speekers moulded into the tower. these are all new boats out there.... some of the families even have 1 boat for wakeboarding and one for slalom skiing (pretty cool they love the water that much)
The main reason you're seeing a ton of new boats in Canada is because of the US $. The Canadian Dollar is very strong against the US currency which means you can buy a new boat at a very nice discount compared to your US neighbor.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
After reading these posts it seems like a local dealers presence is a big part of moving boats.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
From a different point of view: I see alot of Sangers here in no-cal! I have yet to see an Axis?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-17-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
After reading these posts it seems like a local dealers presence is a big part of moving boats.
Yes...ive been sent out with an 11' model MC X45 to one of our local lakes just to get notoriety and the MC name out there and seen. Told to just cruise the lake and maybe board a set or two. I know CC and bu dont do that around here.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
From a different point of view: I see alot of Sangers here in no-cal! I have yet to see an Axis?
Makes sense since Sanger is located in NorCal...
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-17-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
We have a wide variety boats at our lake in Las Vegas. One boat that I never see is the Nautiques. We do not have a local dealer for the Nautiques yet. I hope they come to Vegas soon. Tons of Malibu's, Master Craft, Tige, Moomba, Supra, Centurion, and tons of deck boats.