Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
hello, i hope you guys can help me out with getting the best wake out of my boat. Its a 1996 ski centurion 20 ft sport bowrider with direct drive motor. I really need to get the best out of it cuz daddy says NO to a new boat. Plz tell me how to weight it down i mean how many pounds in the back and in the front and i also have one big concern. It has a wakeplate on the back like the new boats but it is not hydraulic it is fixed in the position that new boats will have it when the switch is in the slalom position which makes the wake smaller in new boats... maybe it is the same here so plz tell me what should i do about that, perhaps remove it ? any input will be very appreciated thx guys. Upload
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-27-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with the hull, but I would venture to guess that you could start with 2 v-drive sacs on the sides of the engine or a sac in the locker and up in the bow. (that is a rear locker I see, right?)

P.S. Your paragraph gave me a headache .
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-27-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Take out back seat and add:
fatsac - FatSeat

then in the bow use a Fatsac bow sack -- I doubt the boat can handle much more than that, but you could always add to the ski-locker, if you add that much weight I would get it a new prop too
Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
lol dan sorry for my bad grammar im from mexico. all right that is some nice input thx guys but what about the wakeplate that is really a big concern because it might make a big difference.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-27-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
No worries.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-27-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Alot of people start with a desired weight. Say for example 1000 pounds. When you start to add put 40% of the ballast towards the front of the boat and the remaining 60% towards the back. This is refered to as the 40/60 ratio. From here you can tweek the wake to you liking. More to the front mellows it out and more to the rear gives more peak.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-27-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
I had the same boat as my first boat. First off you can't get a huge wake that is going to be Pro size without sinking the thing. So don't get to crazy with it.

Behind the back seat back board between the gas tank and the pywood I put cement bags. About 4 70lbs bags. Then I bought a bow walk way ballast bag long and skinny bag 350 lbs and put in in front of the back seat between the seat and the engine cover. Then I added a 550 ballast bag in the bow, Mine was closed bow so under in the storage area. It was rampy and had some substance, but like I said any more and the boat can take on some serious water over the bow or gunnel walls.

That boat rides real low to the water so be carefull. Mine was a falcon sport bowrider closed bow 1992. Same hull.
Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
thx brannon very nice tips... do u know anything about the wakeplate ? should i remove it to make the wake bigger ? thx.
Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
still anyone hasnt answered about the wake plate, please guys your help will be much appreciated.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Experiment with the wakeplate. Raise it way up. Lower it a little at a time, checking the wake between each time.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-04-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
It's shouldn't cost much to replace the manual trim tab with a hydraulic one. Do it! It will make you life much easier.
Old     (bort00)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
thx very much guys.. im almost sure the trim tab's position will have a dramatic effect just like in new boats, any one has some proof ?
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-06-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Looking at what I can see of the hull I'm pretty sure thats the hull that is the same as the Tige PRE series. Tige fitted their first generation TAPS (hydraulic trim plate) to this hull around 1996 and it does make the wake steeper/mellow depending on the setting. If it is 20' it will be pretty much the same as a Tige PRE2002 and there are owners of these on www.tigeowners.com that maybe able to help you with ballast ???. I have Tige PRE2000 (20' without the rear locker) that we currently use that has 2 x 200 ltr sacks either side of the engine cover 80kgs under the back seat and 160kgs of the lead in the nose with 8 peps on board kicks out a really good wake with the plate all the way down as we need to add more weight to the nose.