Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    cheesesteak            02-08-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm trying to decide where to install my amps. I've got two kickers - a 700.5 and 450.2.

I was thinking about the port side helm storage area but decided against it. So - it the drivers side.

I think my two options are either under the helm or along the hull. Two pics show both locations.

Under helm - I cut a template to show a false wall I'll need to build. Behind it is some ballast plumbing and vent runs. Subwoofer will fit in front of the amps. You can see the outline of the amps on the template. They will take up the entire wall.

Second pic shows drivers side with seat base and upholstered side removed. I'll need to epoxy block to the hull to mount the amps if I go in this direction.

Where should I mount them and why? Pros / cons for either spot.

Thanks.

Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-08-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Where is the best place to add that weight to help balance the weight in the boat for list? My suggestion is to mount them to the hull on one of the sides as they will be out of the way, use up wasted space, and can stay dry. You don't need to epoxy the mounts to the hull, but you can. Urethane adhesives can bond mounting boards to the hull so the amps can be mounted easily.
If it was me I'd mount them on the starboard hull further back than the driver's seat.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
on the same side as your batteries and as close to them as practically possible. Passenger compartement is kind of the go to spot for amps because of that and drivers side footwell is a good starting place for subs as it utilizes both empty spaces fairly well. batteries tend to be on the passenger side near or in that compartment and getting the subs out from inside a compartment gives you more volume. i'd stay away from mounting anything in front of amps. you want to be able to access them fairly easy to tune, troubleshoot if theres a problem and keep airflow going over them.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-08-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
I think grant west has his amps on the starboard side like your 2nd pic. Maybe he will chime in. What's the reasoning behind not putting them under the observer compartment?
Old    cheesesteak            02-09-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
I wanted to install under the helm because the HU is there and I was going to use the power run to install a fuse block at the helm and connect the HU to the same power source.

I tried to fit the amps on the starboard side farther back - but they interfere with the armrest/cup holders on that side - so that's a no-go.

My existing battery is on the starboard side under the rear seat - and there's a spot for another battery on the port side - on the opposite side of the v-drive access - that's where my stereo battery will go. See here:

Now I'm thinking about moving the amps and sub to the port side storage area. I've removed all the seat backs from the boat so I can have access to see what works best. You can see where I have the amps sitting - I'm thinking about that spot to mount now.

If i do this - I'll need to get long RCA cables from the HU to the amps and run a separate power line back to the helm side. I'll have to try to find a spot to run under the floor at the helm from the starboard side to the port side. Not sure what else to do. Any ideas?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
"I was going to use the power run to install a fuse block at the helm and connect the HU to the same power source"

i maybe misreading this, so forgive if i am. It sounds like you are thinking of drawing the B+ and B- for the amps from under the helm? I would not suggest this. The B- needs to terminate right to the battery B- post and the B+ needs to terminate to either the B+ post or the "C" post of a dual battery switch if you add a house bank and switch.

It looks by the pics, that the current battery is on the port side and the open spot for another is on the starboard. side. The total distance to either amp spot doesnt look to be that much different, but that would somewhat depend on where you also located the switch if you do go with a dual battery setup/switch.
Old    cheesesteak            02-09-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
"I was going to use the power run to install a fuse block at the helm and connect the HU to the same power source"

i maybe misreading this, so forgive if i am. It sounds like you are thinking of drawing the B+ and B- for the amps from under the helm? I would not suggest this. The B- needs to terminate right to the battery B- post and the B+ needs to terminate to either the B+ post or the "C" post of a dual battery switch if you add a house bank and switch.

It looks by the pics, that the current battery is on the port side and the open spot for another is on the starboard. side. The total distance to either amp spot doesnt look to be that much different, but that would somewhat depend on where you also located the switch if you do go with a dual battery setup/switch.
I should have been more clear. The new battery will supply the HU and amps. If I put the amps on the port side up at the storage locker - then I'll need to run two power feeds from the new battery. One up the port side to power the amps - and one up the starboard side to my new fuseblock so I can connect the HU to the same power source (new battery)

I just went out and explored the under floor wire routing option at the front. The only place to run the RCA cables and speaker wires is in the front floor locker. There's a ballast bag in there - so I'll have to route it around the outside of the locker. Not ideal - but I can do it without having to worry about the ballast bag pushing against the wires when full.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-09-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
I think grant west has his amps on the starboard side like your 2nd pic. Maybe he will chime in. What's the reasoning behind not putting them under the observer compartment?

Yeah but Grant's boat doesn't get out much. It just stays in the garage and gets taken apart, detailed, put back together, taken apart, upgraded, put back together, etc.... I think he's prepping it for a museum cause that boat is so badass.