Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Who here needs to take the boater education course. I just made it but I'm still probly going to attend one with my fiance. I almost forgot they were starting this law this year.

On or after May 1, 2010 any person under the age of 26 must successfully complete a NASBLA approved boating education course before operating any vessel propelled by a motor of 10 HP or greater.
G.S. 75A-16.2

To find out were your closes class is.
http://ncpaws.org/boatingsafety/coursesearch.asp
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-16-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
As much as I discourage government control over everything, I totally agree with the need that people should take a boating course. You said that it's only for people 26 and younger. Why not for everyone? Like a drivers license? All too often we all see newbys on the water that have never boated before and it's blatantly obvious by their actions at the ramp or on the water. I would support that part of the ciriculum be about courtesy, how to load and unload a boat, back up a trailer and how to conduct yourself and your vessel at the dock.

Just my $.02
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-16-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
My wife is supposed to take it and she is pissed!!! She has been driving a boat since she was a teeager and she missed the cutoff by one year. I read up on the law and she dosen't have to have the license if someone over 26, or another licensed boat driver is on the boat with her. We never go to the lake seperate, so she said she isn't going to worry about it. You can take the corse online and you don't have to pay until you pass the test. If it were required by everyone, then I would say it is a good thing. But, since it is specific to 26 and under, seems to be another way to make money. Just my opinion.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-16-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
I took the test on online at the boat-ed site. It cost $29.95 I think. I was just looking online and there might be some cheaper places. I just went on the wildlife site and clicked the top one. Now I wish I would have done a little research and got it cheaper.

A written test is really stupid in my opinion. I am going to turn 22 in April and would bet I can drive a boat better than most other people on the lake. The tests always have so many questions that dont deal with lakes and mainly with the waterways, bouy markers, and sail boats. Its good info I guess, but its just another way for the gov. to make some revenues.

I personally think since its for any 26 and under they should make EVERYONE take it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
Thats good to know I had no idea you could skip the class and take the test online.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-16-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
yeah, once you pass it you pay. Then it goes to a screen you can print out a temp copy until the one comes in the mail.
Old     (robert)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-17-2010, 3:49 AM Reply   
Try ,Boat US , its free and accepted by NC.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-17-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
If i were in NC i would def want someone to post the answers. got me through college. just sayin
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-17-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
YES!!! I just made the cut off age!!! Wooo Hoo!!!