Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
I plan to start tuning my new stereo system this weekend and I need some help getting started. I played around with the old system for a while, but couldn't get it to sound it's best. I had a professional/friend come by and turn a few knobs, and in about 30min, the system sounded twice as good. I want to learn how to do it myself this time. I do have basic understanding of the process.

I have a Alpine 9883 headunit, the new WS-420 EQ, 3 Orion amps, and 2 Pro 80's on the tower.

How do I start? I have seen some good threads on this in the past, but none of them talked about tuning with an EQ.

Does anyone have any websites that go into any depth on system tuning? I don't mind doing a bunch of reading before I start.

Thanks.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Ok this is how you should do it. take you boat out to a open aera. Take your boat apart so that you can get to and adjust all your amps real easy. Then call your friend out and have him tune your system.

Best advise I can give you is call your friend. Second best advice I can give you is if he dosent come out call some one else, You can help out by standing at the swim deck letting your friend tuning they system if the adjustments he just made worked better or worse for you. Good luck
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
What do you mean by tune? Are you wanted to set levels, EQ cutoffs, or what?
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
It's cool that you want to try and learn how to do it but I agree with Grant, call your friend. have him teach you. It takes years of practice and knowledge and honestly a good ear. Im not saying you cant learn but it is going to take you a lot of time. You will have to be out somewhere. To tune it right you have to play it at a volume. Also bass will sound different once it is in the water vs on the trailer
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-06-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
google it...

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-GMuyu8kVzCZ/reviews/20030623/tune_your_system.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio---TUNE-it-Up!&id=532327
http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2007/11/10/car-stereo-system-tune-it-up/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcar-audio-video.info%2Fcar-audio%2Fcar-stereo-system-tune-it-up%2F&frame=true
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Steve,
I am talking about all the settings of the system. Frequency cutoffs, EQ settings, gain settings( EQ and amp ), volume limits, etc.

G,
Is this your suggestion because it is hard to get things set perfectly without experience, or because it is easy to destroy 1K worth of speakers without some good experience.

How does everyone else do it? Do you hire someone to meet you in a canyon somewhere or on the lake, and spend a couple hours getting everything set correctly? This would be easy if you had a professional install, but I did the full system install myself this winter. I have one other person I could call to see if he would be willing to help.

Does everyone feel the best job would be done on the water?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-06-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
With two people you can hear the difference you're self. While some one else is making the adjustment. What sounds good to me might not sound good to you. You can do it by your self it just takes longer. Get in the boat to make an adjustment. Then back out of the boat to see how it sounds. That gets old real quick.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
A good beginner's guide is here. This follows most manf. generic setup. You can use it as a baseline for setting gains. For setting EQ cutoffs, you can use tones and apply as required for that as well.
http://www.wakeboatworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemi d=35

Tune it to here what you like.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
Its always better to tune with 2 people. Ill have a friend tweek the amps as I listen. This way you can stand back and not get blasted. Your ear closes up when your close and its real loud. So you need to tune at a level that your gonna be playing at. Like I said its best done with a buddy.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-06-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
I have "G" do it. lol
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-06-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
better yet call Harold...
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-07-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Is Harold still alive? I thought he got married....lol Harold are you there?