Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (straussman)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey whats doing ? I just moved out to San Diego about a week ago, and I am trying to finish up my schooling and ride as much as possible.. I was actually thinking about moving up North, because I cant get into any schools down here until 2008. I here a lot of people ride up there, and plus I know snowboarding would be more likely because it would be closer. I was just wondering about the scene up by the Delta. If it is close to San Fran? How’s the music scene? If people ride all year round ? Anything else anyone would like to tell me I definitely wouldn’t mind hearing it, thanks.

Barry J. Strauss

570 954 1695
Strizzo360@hotmail.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
The Delta is over crowded, dirty, cold, and windy! It's horrible!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-29-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
...and full of e-coli, stay away!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Well... it is dirty, J-Rod might be stretching the rest
Old    walt            01-29-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
(I here a lot of people ride up there,) That is true.

(and plus I know snowboarding would be more likely because it would be closer.) It only takes a few hours to get to the snow.

(Is close to San Fran?) Probably around a hour and a half depending on traffic.

(How’s the music scene?) Great in SF

(If people ride all year round ?) Fall and Winter is the best time to go if you don't mind cold water.

There aren't many places that can compare to the Delta as far as daily riding conditions go.

There are plenty of wakeboard comps in the area too.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
sorry walt, fall and winter IS NOT the best time to go. the best time is in the summer if you stay away from the popular spots. either way, you can ride the delta year-round.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
I like the fall. But I don't play in the winter water anymore.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-30-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I like summer mid week.

Too bad I have a job.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-30-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
I guess the CIE crew will have to come to Florida to be able to play in the winter. See you soon!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-30-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Amen to that.... What are we? About 6 weeks out? I better actually strap on a wakeboard one of these days. Mines been collecting dust since November.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
hey, that's about the same time as my last ride! and yeah, my board's collecting dust as well!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-30-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
not mine :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
show off!

Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-30-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
well Joe you dont live too far from us...you're more than welcome to join.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
you do have a point. but, that really isn't the problem. the problem is that i'm a big wuss when it comes to the cold!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-30-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Don't worry Joe I have a dust collection going on also. That water is cold right now I bet. I am king wuss of cold.
Old     (straussman)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-30-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know of any schools up there that I could finish up at and that has a wakeboard club and/or I could ride at a good amount.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-30-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Sac State has a waterski/wakeboard team. I think that would be your best bet

Lzy
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Chico State has got a waterski/wakeboard team too, but that is a little more north of the delta. Lake Orville is a 20 min ride from Chico.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-30-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
folsom lake is 48.9 degrees, camanche is 48, i imagine the delta/sac river is the same. good thing that daylight savings time is earlier this year. too bad that there's been zero rain lately so water levels will be low this year..
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-30-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Temps are only at 48? I think when I rode with Evan and Jrod last year early Jan it was like 55 or so.

When will water temps be up around the high fifties (or better) that is when I would like to come down the hill and poach a pull.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
last i heard, the delta is at 44deg.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-30-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
We rode in Victoria Slough on Sunday and the water temp on the perfect pass said 47.4. It was a little chilly, but well worth braving the cold for the great conditions that we had.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-30-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
CHICO!!!! Don't plan on ever remembering college if you go to chico...so i am told...hahaha
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-30-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Brrrrr... I usually draw the line at 50. I think we're gonna try to get out and get some love this weekend, though.

Definitely jonsin' to ride these days. It's been too long.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-30-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
great timing evan.

"hey, joe's outta town...let's ride!"
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-30-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Barry:

My son happens to be the president of the Sacramento State wakeboard club, so I can tell you first hand that they have a club.

The CSUS club has had a Super Air Nautique that they use for both the club and for the CSUS Aquatic Center camps/training/events. During the fall and spring the Club members can meet the boat a few days a week at Lake Folsom, which is only minutes away from campus.

The club also competes in a variety of college tournaments, including the College nationals in Florida (last October, I believe), an event last year in Long Beach, and the Delta Hang Time competition.

Lake Folsom isn't all that great for wakeboarding, but the Delta is only an hour away.

If you live in the Sacramento Area then snow is two hours away at Lake Tahoe. CSUS also has a great snow ski/board club, which incudes renting a cabin at Tahoe. Join the club, get a season pass and you're all set.

Good luck!
Rod McInnis
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       01-30-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Listen to Rod-
Im in the CSUS club/team, and its a great group. Chad (Rod's son) is a friend of mine, and a great guy and is president of the club. If you like board sports, sac state is the place to be at.
Old     (wakefish)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-30-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
I just rode folsom today. The water was about 47 degrees. It was well worth the numbness
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-31-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I am actually a pretty big wuss about the cold myself,and would much rather be in the snow, but there's not too much of that in Tahoe right now. (I def. prefer wakeboarding any season besides winter!)

Anyway, Barry, the Delta is the place to be if you have time to kill and want to ride a lot. Spring thru fall, you could probably find someone to ride with everyday through this site's "find a third". Winter riding is def. cold, but Tahoe is close for snowboarding. As far as schools, there are two state universities nearby CSUEB(Hayward) and CSUS(Stockton) neither have a wake team, but with the Delta so close you'll be able to ride a lot. Sacramento has a really good wake scene too, so either way you'll be stoked.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       01-31-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Andrea, CSUS is CSU Sacramento, not Stockton... and we have one of the better wake teams in California
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-31-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Okay well Im sorry, I meant Cal State University Stanislaus which has a campus in Stockton.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-31-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, sorry Joe.... Did we ever actually get out and ride during the short stint you spent in NorCal. Looks like you'll have to bring one of those Epics for a sesh... Better yet, we'll come visit you this summer. I need to ride SoCal at some point.
Old     (rideit4life)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hell yeah. Representin' Sac State on here! We do have one of the best collegiate wakeboard teams!
Old     (straussman)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info.
Old     (straussman)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
After researching some of the schools up there UC Santa Cruz is the school that actually has the closest thing to my major. Does anyone know if you could ride around there? Or the closest place to ride around that area? Thanks again.
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-02-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Barry, as far as I know there is only one lake around UC Santa Cruz that is rideable and it's a private lake. ("Kelly Lake"...google is a wonderful tool). Anyway, other then that Lake Anderson and Calero are over by Morgan Hill, probably a 45+min drive depending on traffic. There is also ocean winching.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
Barry, UC Santa Cruz is a great school/location. Its a bit of a drive to the delta but not that far. Many folks on this site make the trip.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-02-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   
ucsc is a terrible school, santa cruz is boring and there is a bunch of crazy locals there. stick with something inland. trust me..
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-03-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Santa Cruz is not for everyone, but UCSC is a good school (I'm biased since I went there I'm sure). Worth checking it out and see if it's up your alley. Sure there are some crazy locals there, but that's part of it's character and the campus is really nice.
There are plenty of people that live in Santa Cruz and ride, either Anderson in the winter or weekdays or make the drive to the Delta for summer weekends. Anderson is actually pretty good riding except for Friday to Sunday in the summer; last 2 weekends we saw one or two other boats and had great water.
If I didn't work in San Jose I'd probably still live in Santa Cruz, but the daily commute is bad.
Anyway, check it out and if they have what you are looking for in a major I wouldn't rule it out of contention quite yet.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-03-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Well there is kiteboarding up north of town at Scott/Wadell creek beaches and the Delta is about an hour and a half away depending on traffic. UCSC is a good school, my son Chris just graduated from there and my youngest daughter is starting there in the fall. If you are into surfing you can't beat SC (other thern the crowds these days)

Most of us Santa Cruz locals don't get much into "localism" anymore as it's crowded here regardless of "Valley" traffic.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Watch out for the Great Whites at Waddell. It's right near Ano Nuevo, an elephant seal rookery. Surfers/kiters/windsurfers make a nice little snack.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-03-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
Is that what's been leaving those bit in half seals all over the beach at "On-ya" all these years?Upload
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
Chomp!!

http://www.surfpulse.com/2006/news/shark_sightings_at_waddell_creek_09281745.shtml