Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    wakegurrrl            04-10-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
Here is our new boat. And a picture of the coverup of the warning stickers that my dad came up with. He used some of that carbon fiber stick on and a CC gel decal. We think it looks lots better.
coverup
coverup2
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-10-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
That looks nice!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-10-2003, 11:25 PM Reply   
Nice lake in the background!! Which lake is that by the way? Or is it a secret spot?
Old    masonlakerider            04-10-2003, 11:54 PM Reply   
Hey Lori that looks GREAT!!! Could you tell me how to go about doing that on mine? Where did you find the materials and how do you cut them...anything special?
Old    masonlakerider            04-11-2003, 12:04 AM Reply   
By the way...how are those lights workin for ya...how easy/hard is it to ride at night with 'em on (any funky shadows or anything like that to mess with ya)?
Old    dholio            04-11-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
Don't take your boat back to the dealership. By law, the warning decals have to be on the boat and visible before they can even work on the boat.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Um.... does the matteress squad enforce that law?
Yes, its seems like a serious infraction.
Lori, maybe you shouldn't have posted those pics in public.
Any black helicopters circling your house lately?

BWAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
by what law???? Why doesn't every other manufacturer have all these decals if it's the law. Do you mean Correct Craft Law????
Old    whitechocolate            04-11-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
That looks cool I did the same thing I used sheets of Plastic with the carbon look printed on them

Old    bigd            04-11-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
Actually the law says you can't operate it unless the stickers are visible so I wouldn't even take it out anymore...
Old    skihardkore            04-11-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
that looks really awesome
Old    whitechocolate            04-11-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
Taps Plastics Now Sells Real Carbon Fiber Sheet's So you can Now make Dash And Trim Pannels out of REAL "Carbon fiber" No more fake stuff, It seems as if every Boat company is making there dash and trim pannels out of some carbon Copy, Centurion Has the Worst or "most fake looking" Carbon. IMO, CC shoud step up to the plate and have all there boat's come with REAL Carbon Fiber. Im going to start making some Dash Tim Kits out of real carbon for me and my friends I will let you know how they turn out

Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   

...Grant - are yo gonna put that thing in the water?????
Old    wakegurrrl            04-11-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
The lake is Lake Washington in Seattle. It's where we live.

We took the stupid stickers off of our old mastercraft and no one ever said a thing at the dealer. There are no "laws" about stickers. Since my dad's a lawyer I figure he knows.

My brother found this carbon fiber decal stuff on line. We then used a sticker from the dealer.
Old    bigd            04-11-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Grant U B big PiMpN Bro... yo she B D da shiznit...
Old    whitechocolate            04-11-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
MIKE: We Fried up the Beat last night DAmmmmO
The cops were here in "5 Min" they guy across the street said he thought we were being attacked by Iraq and a Bomb went off!!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   

How does it sound the bass hitten hard
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-11-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
I believe you can do whatever you want with the left sticker but the right one is the one that is usually required by law...the one with the max capacity and all that. You could probably get a ticket for not having that one. How else are they supposed to tell if you have too many people in the boat or whatever?
Old    leggester            04-11-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Oh, I didn't know there were USCG boat regs lawyers! Lori, that was a dumb statement. Just because he's a lawyer doesn't mean he know all laws for all aspects of a state.

It's true, the limit sticker is required. But, you can tell the officer that you bought a used boat and the sticker wasn't there.

BTW, if he's a "lawyer" why is he trying to hide the sticker and get around the law?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-11-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Legge,

"That was a dumb statement" -- harsh, especially considering the limited value your post added to the discussion.

Also, you've got a logic problem when you make the leap that covering up ugly sticker = trying to circumvent the law
Old    leggester            04-11-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Depends on what sticker eh?

If it's the required max load sticker being covered up, that's no leap.
Old    fun9c1            04-11-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
That looks beautiful! That is the one thing about CC I don't like is the way they take a brand new classy top of the line boat and put those stupid looking cheezy yellow caution stickers everywhere you look. Gimme a break. It's not up to them to teach us common sense. I think getting caught without those stickers (except the max capacity one), if it is even a law, would be like getting caught doing 56 in a 55. Looks like a good $$ oppurtunity for your dad... ;)
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Nothing in the Texas code about displaying any sticker other than numbers and hull ID

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boat/wsdigest.htm
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-11-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
I can't believe you guys are givin' her crap for something as simple as covering up warning stickers. Their not the first to do it, ya know?
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-11-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
I've got $1 via PayPal for anyone who documents a boating code REQUIRING the sticker to be visible at all times on pleasure craft.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-11-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
Hey, I cover up the warning label on my board all the time! You guys gonna give me crap for that, too?
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
Lori check your email
Scott
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-11-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
Here is one I found, Matt:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/pdfs/oog34-43.pdf

It's just Ohio but there might be others. You can keep your dollar.
Old     (jdreiser)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Covering up the warning sticker is most likely not a criminal violation, but the reason that sticker is there in the fist place is to end run a failure to warn allegation on a products liability claim. If the sticker has been intentionally covered up, well there goes one claim of negligence (failure to warn), probably, by the owner if an accident occurs and he wants to blame it on something covered in the warning label.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-11-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Sammy T:

"No person shall alter, remove or deface the information on the face plate"

I would argue that none of these acts is committed by placing a sticker over the plate. The information has not changed and the plate still is firmly attached in it's original location. I believe the intent of this regulation is to prevent people from mischaracterizing the capabilities of their vessel, which Lori has not done.

Old    leggester            04-11-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
It's been altered. As in covered up.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-11-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Has the information been altered? No. As in, not altered.

You may want to argue with it, and it's even possible the authorities may want to argue with it, but if her dad's a lawyer, it's gonna cost the state more than it costs Lori to settle it.
Old    whitechocolate            04-11-2003, 2:39 PM Reply   
Dork Arert Dork Arert . Why is that some post's turn to all this "Legal Crap" Everyones a Layer and Knows some one who knows some one who got a Ticket for doing this or that, Come On, You know how many Of you break the law every day even on the Water how meny of you Overweight your boat's ect. Sandy Said it above "does the matteress squad enforce that law?" People Have a Drink, "FooGetaboutit"

Now back to the Orignal Post Lorie You CC looks AWESOME, "ROCK OUT"
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2003, 2:51 PM Reply   
last time i got stopped they asked to see the life jackets, fire ext., not the load stickers. The carbon fiber looks great & I'm gonna try & do it to my boat.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   

....I'm with Grant, everytime someone post something that "Might not be legal" everyone get's there panties in a bunch. I know this guy who knows a guy Bla Bla Bla.

Why is that??

Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-11-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
You people all deserve to fry! Defacing stickers? My God, what's next? You should all be sent to the chair!

But seriously...I could care less if someone is breaking a law that doesn't hurt anyone else in any way, whatsoever. Sometimes I just like to argue about pointless trivial details.

BTW, what's with the references to those mattress tags? It's not as if they say anything about the mattress owners removing them. The warning is to the manufacturers/dealers so that the consumer knows that he's getting a new mattress and one that's not made of Combusto-Stuffing or whatever. Geez, learn to read!
Old    fun9c1            04-11-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
Those stupid yellow stickers that say "remain seated at all times" and "do not attempt high speed maneuvers" and useless crap like that is not the capacity plate. The only one you need to have is the capacity plate Not the one that says "do not stand on your head while smoking crack on the bow while boat is in reverse" I can't believe someone would actually leave those stickers on there because they're scared to take them off! HAHAHAHAHHAA ROFLMFAO!!
Old    xtigeman            04-11-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
Awesome ride . . .
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-11-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
It's worth a ticket or some grief to cover up those ugly stickers. Looks awesome to me.
Old    nick360            04-11-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
The laws about the capacity plate may vary from state to state, but I believe that the Coast Guard regulation (which is what most states follow) is that any boat over 20' is not required to post a weight or persons capacity}.

BTW, Lori, your dad did a great job. That came out great.

(Message edited by nick360 on April 11, 2003)

(Message edited by nick360 on April 11, 2003)
Old    samcdog            04-11-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
I got stopped one day because I had too many people on my boat. The officer asked to see my capacity sticker, but I couldn't find it. He didn't seem to concerned that I couldn't find it. The only ticket he gave me was for too many people, not enough life jackets. ~$125 I am sure if the guy wanted to be an he could give you a ticket or just impound your boat Ha hahahaha. I think you could cover up all other warnings since they are so CC can cover their a%^. I think it looks sweet and might do it to my SAN though. Fight the Power
Old    fff88            04-12-2003, 4:38 AM Reply   
Hey Grant, it looks great. You mentioned the carbon sheets that TAP sells. I am purchasing them also to do my MC 2001 205V/X Star. How were you thinking of adhering it to the dash? I am trying to decide what to use that will not show through the carbon. any ideas? there is no sticky back on these.
Old    fff88            04-12-2003, 4:39 AM Reply   
Lori, sorry. Yours looks awesome as well.....
Old    endo            04-12-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
I've got to do that too! Who is TAP? And where can I buy these sheets of carbon fiber? Thanks!
Old    xtigeman            04-12-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
Not an expert on this subject or anything, but seems like some makes don't have capacity ratings. It really just has something to do with receiving reciving a certain certification. Don't know if it is still true but there were some static hull manufacturers that don't bother with the certification.
Old    whitechocolate            04-12-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ok, Frank this is how it can be done. You would use your stock trip pieces as he "Mold" you would take a sheet of Mylar" its sheet plastic it's like window tint (very thin) you would cover your stock trim pieces with the Mylar so the carbon fiber won't stick to it then you would wet the carbon fiber with (fiberglass resin) and lay up the sheet carbon fiber over the trim pieces. If you want to make the pieces thick you can use "Baltic Mass" as a filler/medium. It look's just like fiberglass so it would go between the carbon fiber. The "Baltic Mass" would be sandwiched between the Carbon. This way the carbon fiber will be thick and have strength otherwise it will be like a sheet of paper and when you mount a switch or something into it, it will hold nice, Then you will wet and lay up you final top piece of carbon fiber over the Baltic mass and then apply Mylar over the wetted carbon fiber. The Mylar will work as barrier between you and the wetted carbon fiber and allow you to Squwee-gee"<spelling the Air bubbles out of the resin and make the carbon fiber sit into the nooks and cranny’s wait 24 hrs pop the pieces off your stock trim pieces and then trim / sand them with a dremmel
Old    whitechocolate            04-12-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
Doug Arn't you a Layer??????
Old     (nautique_driver)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2003, 5:43 PM Reply   
Lori, looks abosolutely COOL! However, in the interest of "just in case" I wonder if it can be designed so the coverings are easily removed? Hmm maybe i'll work on that.....
For those of you wondering why CC laywers require those stickers....ask all the idiots who claim "they didnt know" when they actually do what the warning tells them not to because NO TOLD THEM NOT TO. We are ruled by sue happy idiots. When common sense is over shadowed by greedy people.
Old    dholio            04-12-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
Good point Mrs. JDS1
Look at last summer with the teak surfing incident. CC got sued for it so there went another warning sticker. If you nautique owners wouldn't sue over stupid stuff, they wouldn't have to put all of those stickers on there. Another 20 years of suing them, the whole boat will be plastered in them. MC has them too. Look along the windshield. They are everywhere.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
Can someone please tell me where I can buy some of these sheets of ABS plastic with the carbon fiber thermographic on it.
Old    bigd            04-13-2003, 5:31 AM Reply   
God, what a bunch of hens. Next up, a week long argument over how many sugarplum fairies can dance on the head of a pin... Jeezzzus..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
Mrs. JDS1 and DJL,

I spoke with the VP of sales for Nautiques, Gary Meloon, at the Seattle Boat Show, about the abundance of warning labels around the boat. Avoiding lawsuits is one of the exact reasons for them.

BobD, exactly!!! I better not post a picture of my board w/ the warning label covered by a sticker.
Old     (nautique_driver)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-13-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
Joe, You forgot to mention you LOVE Nautique owners.
Old    xtigeman            04-13-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
greed is good, but most of my money is made defending manufacturers getting sued by idiots. My favorite idiots. They just make me rich. You peel your stickers off and some little kid gets his foot torn off in the prop. Then you will get sued and I would be your best friend and trying to keep little kid's mommy and daddy out of your own personal pockets for claims of gross negligence (uninsurable) and alterations. Just more money for me to save your ass (save your personal assests) and screw the idot one footed child as you eloquently put it.
Old    xtigeman            04-13-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
Grant:

I was this morning since the kids were out last night.
Old    fff88            04-13-2003, 9:29 PM Reply   
Grant, Thanks. That sure seems like a ton of work. Sounds like the proper way. What about just spraying the stock pieces with 3M adhesive spray and moulding the carbon to it? Would it show through? Be too weak? what? Otherwise, i think i'm gonna call my old sponsor N-Style Graphics and get their cool Carbon Fiber look graphic sheets with the 3M sticky already on it. (retail $20.00 for each sheet and 2 should do it) I do want to use the real stuff, but wetting it and laying it up. Sounds like too much time involved to me. Thanks again for the detailed info.
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-13-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
Nice catch Doug. (I mean the play on words)

(Message edited by faceplant409 on April 13, 2003)
Old    bigd            04-14-2003, 3:31 AM Reply   
Better a layer than a dirt layer...
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
Frank It sound's Like alot of work But It realy isn't You should try it out. You might learn somthing New and who know you might start a new business. We need more people to make a create things like this. Everyone and there mother makes tower's & speakers & wakeboard's. Its cool to see People Like "Travis" with WakeMe.com make cool stuff we all could use
Old    tim2003            04-28-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
Anyone have any ideas what would look good on a Nautique with the other color dash? CF looks great on the gray, but would look a little out of place on the tan/orange dash. I still want to cover those stickers! Thanks,
Tim
Old    whitechocolate            04-28-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
check this stuff out

http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/carbon
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-28-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
What is fun is all the work it takes to make the labels. ISO, ANSI, etc standards are very specific, and if you work for an international company you have to translate them and check the translation, etc. big pain in the bottom! I have been on the company end of it.