Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2003, 12:50 AM Reply   
Who has replaced their own?
I would like to know if you replace the whole "rack" rack and pinion system or just parts, for example, a single cable.

Andrew Z.???
Old    fun9c1            04-23-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have had mine apart to change the position of the cable on the "pinion" if there's something I can help you with there...
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
i replaced my cable and helm unit with a teleflex kit from www.skidim.com. pretty easy job except for needing a puller to get the steering wheel off...i had never used one before. i replaced the whole unit because my old one wasn't being made anymore and couldn't get just the cable.

give 'em a call, they're very helpful!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-23-2003, 6:47 PM Reply   
To answer your question.......you replace the cable that will include the lower part of the rack. No need to remove the steering wheel. There are four bolts down below that can be removed and the rack will fall out the bottom. Then a mount in the rear and the rudder connection. There will be a bunch of zip ties holding the cable in place. Routing is important as is replacing the zip ties. Do not force it back through either. I would recommend a Morse cable over the Teleflex. Remove the old cable then measure it and get a new one. Better quality, and less likely to break. I always recommend adding in a zerk fitting so it can be easily greased at every service so the cable will never need replacement again. I found this item although I am not sure if it will work. Zerk fitting The cable without the rack looks like this Morse cable The cable with the rack will look something like this without the steering hub etc. shown in the photo Morse cable and rack
Old    ffejtable            04-25-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
I just replaced my Teleflex Rack system and my power steering "RAM" (I/O) because the steering cable ceased inside the power steering unit and would not come out (salt water is brutal). With only a rudder on an inboard all you probably have is the cable to worry about. Routing the cable for me was easy as it runs through the gunnel which is open and accessible.

The whole rack system ran me about $150 at West Marine.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
Thank You guys very much! I just got back from WSSR and the steering held up but needs some work. Your comments have been very helpful!:-)