Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-21-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
I'm in the middle of my first board.
I was a little brave and started with bare 1.5lb eps and made everything from scratch (Mistake #1).
I've been working on it in my spare time for a few weeks now.
I'm waiting for the spackle to dry now, and decide what fins to go with and order my glass.
I have so much respect for the guys who make board for a living and how much work really does go into one.
It's probably one of those that gets easier with time but man the first one would have been so much easier if I had just purchased a blank.

Not 100% happy with the shape but we'll see how it rides first.
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-21-2011, 10:39 PM Reply   
Don’t quit your day job just kidding. lets see the final shape before you glass it.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-22-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
The picture with it laying on top of my lf custom is pretty much the final shape.
I have a two stage front rocker which I can't really get rid of since I don't have enough foam to have the amount of nose rocker height I want. If that made sense.
I think I put to much concave into the tail but we shall see.
I figure this will mostly be a learning experience for the next board or so.
I have been thinking of going with the fcs fusion fins system since the install kit is fairly well priced and seams easy to install.
Anyone have some fcs fins they want to part with for cheap?
I'm still deabting if I want a 2 3 or 4 fin set up. I've only ridden twin and single fins.
I practiced with a scrap piece of foam and scrap cloth last night and laying over foam is much easier the doing custom sub boxes.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2011, 3:48 AM Reply   
Make sure you use dual foil fins, they work the best like Futures V2 series. Single foil with flat inside does not work well. Most custom builders use the Futures because they work. You may need to use a vent in the 1.5# foam or it might delam from gassing. and I would Lam it with 6/6 top and 6/4 bottom to make it durable.

Last edited by brewkettle; 09-23-2011 at 3:50 AM.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-23-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
My biggest thing with the futures is the sheer initial cost. A lot of boards use fcs now and the jig I can make and already have a bit. Honestly not
Sure if I will build another after this one.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
Remember who is using Fcs in the custom WAKESURF INDUSTRY. The surf industry will work fine. But not in the avenue you pursue.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
You by chance have a set of the v2's you want to part with or a source for a inexpensive set?
Watching the install video I think it wouldn't be hard to make a jig for them but it wouldn't be as fancy or quick as theirs.
Also what are the pro's - cons with a quad, tri, twin, or single fin design?
I've got a single and a tri fin boards but they are so completely opposite it's not worth comparing.
My buddies boards are all set up as single fins so not sure what to set this one up as since I don't have much experience with others.
Also I noticed on some boards that are quads, they have a decent sized fin with a rather small fin next to it.
What is the advantage of those?
Lots of questions but no one around here knows jack about boards being I'm in Oklahoma so kind of hard to get local info.
Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
That's a great first effort cowwboy! Thanks for pointing me to the thread. You'll have a blast with it. I love the two stage nose rocker. I've done that a time or two. You might be able to save it, when you go to laminate it, do the bottom first. Set the board upside down on your laminating stands and use a small eyelet screw in the nose of the board on the deck side in the stringer. Tie some fishing line and some weight, just enough to pull the nose down into the rocker you want...well a little more because it will spring back some. Then laminate the bottom. When it cures it will save some of that "induced" rocker. I've gone so far as to build frame work to smooth out the rocker and then weighted with the eyelets so it was pulled against the framework.

You'll have a blast with that board and it will ride well, you'll see. Congrats!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Wow!! So much info from the guys at lake wakes and futures today.
I will say looking on the web had me in sticker shock and kind of intimidated.
But after a few phone calls I'm still a little intimidated but sooo much more informed and so much more respect for board makers.
Hopefully I'll get my parts ordered tomorrow and be closer to riding the beast.
I feel like a little kid now.

If I purchased half the boards I would like to I'd be sooo broke.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-02-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Got the fin boxes in and the bottom glassed. Now to wait for it to cure and then do the top.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-04-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
Almost done
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
looking good!!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-07-2011, 5:26 AM Reply   
I'm in shock as to how well it rode.
Compared to the commercial boards I have ridden this one is much much better.
I'm still in shock as to how well my first time project worked.
I've got a learning curve to the much larger twin fins. But I love it!!!
Also I noticed that when i go back into the barrell of the wave this board doesn't get stuck into it and I can get out easier.
Would that have to do with the shape or with the fact it's 2" thick compared to 1" thick like my other boards.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-14-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
traction installed and ready for the weekend.
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-04-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
That's awesome. Post some pictures of it on the water. Looks like it turned out great. especially for your first try.