Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
So I've been on a Trascend for a few years now and was thinking about switching it up at some point this year. I ride behind a Malibu 90% of the time and I'm mostly turning into a w2w rider so I wanted something with a little bit more upward w2w trajectory than the Trascend but that had a similiar feel on the water.

My first demo was the '09 Shane last night. Man, that board is sick! I couldn't believe how much more it popped than my Transcend. It kicks so much harder than the Transcend so it would take a little gettiing used to, but I was really digging it. The landings were soft and it was definitley fast enough for my taste. I got hooked up on a couple of landings that I don't feel would have happened with my Transcend, but other than that it is definitely making me think about a swtich.

So what other board should I give a try that have similar pop and characteristics as the Shane? The One? Assault? Marek?
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
If ur looking for a board with alot of pop but is still forgiving u should try a company severance there's no other ride like it!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-19-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Huge pop (up and down), Soft Landings, fast and fun:

SS Recoil(if you can get a demo on them, do it to it)
I like the IBex but it can land pretty hard
Byerly Monarch
Shane is a good board, you already know that though
Old     (cshell)      Join Date: May 2009       06-19-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Scott is right man, give that Company Serverance or Recruit a try. Their super snappy off the wake and is very soft on your landings. Super fun to ride!
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-19-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
The Ronix one has a similar pop to what your looking for. Although it does take a couple sets to get used to riding it. But it pops straight up, its fast, but it is a bit grippy.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
i second the slingshot recoil as well and anything else with flex as a feature. But give it at least 3 sets. flex is an entirely different feel, as different as continuous is to 3 stage and then some.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-19-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Eubanks demo the B-side and Marek.

Also demo the new 09 Absolute, I have had a lot of Transcend riders change to the 09 Absolute for the same reasons, big straight up pop.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Good to know everybody. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
if you ride on a regular basis, i firmly believe that you'll know whether a board's for you or not on the first ride. i also firmly believe that one should not have to get used to a board.
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-19-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
That's true Joe, but some boards are just so unique compared to others in how they perform on the water. You won't need to get used to it but rather perfect your edging and pop for each individual board because they are all different.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
I agree Blake. I really enjoyed the Shane, and the pop from it was exactly what I was looking for. At the same time, it kicked harder than what I'm use to so I think there is some time needed to get 100% adjusted. When you've only ridden one board for 3 years then getting on something totally different is going to feel strange at first. That doesn't mean it isn't a good fit.

And Joe, I didn't think you would ever not fully endorse somebody switching to the Shane.

(Message edited by eubanks01 on June 19, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-19-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
if boards didnt take getting use to your shane would be just like everything else....

I can tell the difference between fins that are .2" different.
Of course you need to adjust to boards... its like a new pair of shoes, gotta break um in.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   

quote:

When you've only ridden one board for 3 years then getting on something totally different is going to feel strange at first. That doesn't mean it isn't a good fit.

that's absolutely true. but there's a good strange and a bad strange. you know the difference.

and yes, of course i fully endorse your switching to lf shane. i was just wondering what took you so long to check it out. is my word not worth anything these days?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
eubanks, while you're at it, check out the 09 lf shane limited bindings. they're yummy for your feet. trust me!
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
Byerly Monarch has most pop of any board I've ever been on. I would def. try it out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
only cause you haven't ridden the shane. haha! what's up brodie???
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-22-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe. Your endorsement is why I demoed in the first place Dude! ha

I've actually wanted to try out that board Brodie. Have you ridden the Assault? A buddy of mine has been on a the Shane for a while now but really liked the Assault as well.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-22-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Eubanks,

I've been riding the Shane for two years and have not found another board that I like better.... until this past Saturday. A buddy of mine was demoing the 09 Watson and he let me take a spin on it. Just like Joe said, you know the first set that you take whether or not the board is for you. Within 3 hours after taking a ride on the Watson I bought one at TXMC.

The difference for me between the Shane and the Watson was more upward pop with the Watson. The Watson is definitely more w2w friendly. Without the center fin in the Watson rides very similar to the Shane grip wise. It's nice and loose when flat, but it's a much slower board than the Shane when on edge. The slowness of the Watson really allowed me to charge the wake without fear of landing in the flats. I have bad knees and have always been timid of charging the wake for fear of landing in the flats. The Watson sends me straight up with pillow soft landings as opposed to landing in the flats.

Before you pull the trigger I highly suggest demoing the Watson. If you can make the drive to Lewisville I'll be happy to let you take a spin on mine.

(Message edited by nauty on June 22, 2009)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-22-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
DECADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing has some massive bucking pop! Great for W2W and with the giant center spine the landings are super soft!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-22-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Thanks Richard. Yeah, I would like to give it a try. Have you tried out the new '09 Shane? I know it was a new shape this year and from what I hear rides a bit differently than previous models. I appreciate your feedback and demo offer.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-22-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the 09 Shane. Patrick Fort has the new 09 and has ridden the previous model Shanes for the last year or two. He can probably tell you what the differences are.