Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kblackman)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-21-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'm looking to put a SWCK on a MC for skiing in Key West. Can't afford a new salt water series boat so this is the best option I have. Sound off!! Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-21-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Whats SWCK stand for? is it closed cooling? If it is I think it would be a bigger job than its worth. *Take this advice with a grain of salt- I know almost nothing about how closed cooling systems work* IMO you might just be better off to flush it when you take it out of the water. (assuming it's gonna be stored on a trailer)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-21-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
The trailer is what takes the beating, get an aluminum or galvanized one, and save your money.
Five minutes of flushing the engine after every outing is all it takes. just my two cents
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-22-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Saltaway or Salt terminator flush (rinse boat also) after each use-installing a Perko flush-pro help with this. Replace raw water cooling fittings/elbows with brass. make sure you use anti-corrosive coatings on your engine etc when you do maintenance.
You'll want to fresh water rinse your riding gear and jackets after use also.
As mentioned above.. the trailer is the true weak link in the equation. Get a galvanized or aluminum one and rinse it well.
Closed cooling is not worth the expense-particularly on a block that is not brand new. Keep in mind that even in "closed" cooling systems the exhaust risers (the part most prone to fouling, rot, and failure) are still raw water cooled.
Salt phobia is pretty rampant in the ski/wake board community--something other boating communities chuckle over. There have been threads on this board that would lead a person to belive that if a ski boat touches salt water even once it will spontaneously corrode into a twisted heap and depreciate in value such that you will have to pay someone to take it off your hands.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-22-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Unless the boat has less than 50hrs/1 season of use the existing scale and corrosion inside the block will cuase problems with blockin the heat exchanger if you go closed cooling.

As said above sort your trailer and be prepared to flush after each use. I get about 7 years from a set of manifolds/risers in saltwater with flushing. You'll never rust through an engine block so don't even worry about it.
Old     (ridersdad)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-22-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Saltwater/spray does damage to so much more than the engine. Its all the components inside the boat as well that take a lot of damage. Little things like gas pistons for the hatches and seats. Exposed copper wire connectors, etc. The engine is a big thing, but all those little things really add up. Trailer is also a big concern.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-26-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Kenneth - did you transfer to Key West, or just going for vacation? Im heading that way myself tomorrow.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-26-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
...and Mars nailed it. A boats a boat - it all depends on how the owner of the boat takes care of it.
Old     (kblackman)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-27-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice folks. Dreevs, I have sent you an e-mail concerning your post. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!