Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-19-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
I'm looking at renting a house that already has a strap-style boat lift installed in shallow water (the rear is maybe 2ft, but the front is more like 6in). I plan on doing a little digging, but it still won't end up being much more than 1.5ft.

Can you use straps (instead of cradle) on a 99 or 01 SAN? Is it a problem having the fins catch on the rear strap as you come in? What about placement of the rear strap (after you get it past fins)? Will I be able to get it far enough back without it putting pressure on the shaft?

And what about "hanging" the boat and not using straps or a cradle? I saw one post about this (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/167845.html ), but couldn't find any more info on if this would work for a 99-01 SAN.

Any ideas???
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-19-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
you can use straps, it will stress the fiberglass, I would advise leaving your window open. potential long term issues to using straps is the straps can compress the boat ( you won't be able to close the window).

Your other questions...you will just have to test the lift. Just walk/pull your boat into the lift and you'll see if the fins catch.

All you really need to be able to do ( if it's just a weekend rental) is lift the boat just enough so it will stay in place, dont; worry about lifting the whole boat out of the water.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-19-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I use both craddle and strap lifts at my house.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-19-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Is the house on a rough lake or on a canal? If in a canal, I woudl just " beach" yoru boat int he slip and just use the back strap to raise your boat 4-6 inches...it won't move anywhere.

Someone may say it will slide off but with the tension on the strap, it's very hard to get it to move off the strap.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-20-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Use the lifting rings. They were designed on a correct craft to use as a lift. They require zero space under the boat.

(Message edited by bchesley on December 20, 2007)
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-20-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Is your boat a DD or V Drive.

I had a MC(closed bow) direct drive on straps for about 20 years with no problem. I had a weight in the center of the back strap so it would clear the fins. The first time on the lift I got in the water to position the rear strap and just made note of where it would need to be. From then on I would just pull in, hold the boat in position while the straps tightened up and then raise it on up.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-20-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Yeah I would just modify the lift so that you can use the lifting rings on the boat. Those things are freaking strong and are meant for that purpose. There should be one on the bow and one on the transom. I know that is how we lift them here at the shop to put them on rollers and get them in the show room. It wont solve your shallow water problem but it will make it so you don't have to worry about the skegs, shaft, rudder, or prop when pulling in as there will be nothing to get hung up on.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
Seems like a read somewhere that the lifting rings were intended to be used to move the boat, ie; from the water to the trailer. Not to store the boat in the air.
You might verify that with the manufacturer or dealer.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-20-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I was told by one of the mechanics here at the shop that you can use them for storage. He is right about most things so I figure that his info. on the subject was correct. I have not called CC though but I do work at a dealership. I know that several of our customers on Lake LBJ and Lake McQueeny do it that way and we haven't had to fix anyones boat due to them storing the boat in that manner.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
I just read where CC is the only manufacturer who doesn't say storing the boat hanging on the lifting rings is a good idea.
I stand corrected. Have at it.