Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-29-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Well another great weekend here in Canada, where its actually sunny for once with low winds so the lake should be calm but of the 100+ boats on the lake 90 are surfing and the other 10 are tubing, making the water look like a washing machine. We really have no option but to surf because the water sucks so bad.

Anyone else sick of "having" to surf? I mean it's no hardship by any means but when the conditions are prime and all you want to do is wake board but there are 90 boats surfing and doing power turns, its basically impossible to wake board.

I saw an Orange G23 on the lake today too. That thing looked HUGE! You could see it from a Mile away easy. I hope they weren't going to surf too.......
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-29-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
haha ya surfers really do destroy the lake in about 10 seconds. i respect the surfers who are actually good, but its so lame when every surfer on the lake rides straight and does baby carves all day... it frustrates me so baddddd especially when they surf in the middle of the week and mornings...

WAKEBOARDING IS THE BOMB
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-29-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Not trying to ruffle any feathers,but with 100+ boats it doesn't matter what they are doing,if they are creating an at speed wake it's going to be shatty anyway.LOL
Old    terrybailey10            07-29-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Death to wake surfing seriously who wants to burn five gallons to get the same feeling as a indo board. I love it when im stuck on a boat surfing and Im asked if i want a go. I of course nicly decline then they insist on like im missing out on something. hahah Gayperzzz
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-29-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Gayperzzz hahaha
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-29-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
It's really all the boats tubing that are power turning and carving...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Jay T . With even 25 boats on the lake it would be tore up. Because all of the wakeboarders aren't that good either.That's why I go out at 6:00 in the morning,surfers don't get up till 8:00.LOL
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-29-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thank god my lake is 23hrs/day of this. Never have more than 1 boat out...not sure why and they def dont surf!

Old    kx250frider617            07-29-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
I love it when I surfer goes down and the driver actually guns the boat into a power turn to go pick up the rider. It makes my day when I see them swamp the boat full of salt water.

I honestly don't mind surfer except when there are multiples of them who constantly fall and crowd up the whole water way. People around here arn't good enough to ride the wave so their rides are usually very short and don't effect the water too much.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-29-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Well we had an exact repeat of yesterday. All surfers power turning to pick up their riders. Everything from I/O's to a brand new MXZ. Also saw the Orange G23 on a lift.... with racks full of only surfboards.

Its not that I don't like surfing it's just that it's boring.

And i know nbot to go out ono the lake on a weekend but that is the only time all the family can join. Oh well, beats a day at the office any day.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-29-2012, 5:09 PM Reply   
I feel you Levi!

At my cabin it's more tubers. For some reason they like to tube in the only calm part of the lake. At least on a flat day there's always plenty of room where I'm at.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-29-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
It boggles my mind that people surf behind I/Os
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-29-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Thank god my lake is 23hrs/day of this. Never have more than 1 boat out...not sure why and they def dont surf!

I hate you because I dont get to ride that lake.
I ride a small reservoir with the same problem, too many yahoos bombing around driving like idiots (power turning, following directly behind boats pulling riders, cutting other people off). I'm just lucky to live close enough to the lake that its not a big deal to pop out for a quick evening ride, or to bail on the lake if its too nuts.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-30-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
Glad to see your wakesurfers wait until 8AM, we are not always that lucky on our small lake. Total Wilbur Kookmeyer wannabe's = kooks. Or gapers. Or GaperKooks.

The only way to fight this latest trend is to 1) make it illegal or 2)socially unacceptable like rollerblading, tennis and adults tubing sober.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
friends dont let friends wakesurf
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Lol +1
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-30-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Dear ranters, LAKES GET BUSY ON WEEKENDS. Sorry you don't get butter on a Saturday afternoon, ride on the weekdays or at the buttcrack of dawn! I hate tubers as much as the next guy, but this is America and blue collar Joe has a right to pull his fat snot-nose kids behind his bayliner whenever he chooses.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2012, 4:33 PM Reply   
We only surf if conditions already suck
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-30-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
What I dislike is that one fully sacked out surf boat will ruin a slough on the delta for everyone else. They throw rollers not only to the sides but huge swells down the slough. If I wakeboard by my rollers are gone as fast as I'm gone. A surfers rollers carry down the slough half a mile. Its ridiculous and impossible to share the water with that.

Friends don't let friend wake surf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old    9Drozd            07-30-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
We just usually head back to the slip and go drink at the house when it get too crowded with surfers, tubers, and jetskiers. Although I love having the boat sacked out when you get some idiot that power turns, thinks they own the lake, and gives us the finger because we want to share the same line. We just barely plane the boat out and do donuts and cruise their line for a while till they get the hint.
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-30-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
We only surf during the day. We wakeboard mornings and late afternoons.

Also people hating on surfing is hilarious. The lake is for everyone, if my father or mom wants to surf I'm all for it. The day someone gives me the finger or drives donuts around me for surfing will be the last day they enjoy calm water on the lake. I'll be damned and make sure to remember the boat so I can drive zig zags and nasty powerturns sac'd out in the mornings and afternoons on their line, and well see if they get the point.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-30-2012, 10:22 PM Reply   
Surf wakes are awesome to use as kickers. Or you just fly right over them. HYDROFOIL. Bad water issues solved!
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-30-2012, 10:50 PM Reply   
I like the idea of putting wakesurfing on the same level as fruitbooting (rollerblading).
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-31-2012, 1:08 AM Reply   
I will gladly pass up surfing for a chance at another wakeboarding run. I really only surf when there is no other choice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but only for about 2 minutes.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-31-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
I like the idea of putting wakesurfing on the same level as fruitbooting (rollerblading).
LOL @ fruit booting! Great!

I think the trend is towards surfing for sure. More and more of my friends wanna surf instead of board and now that me and some of my buds have kids the tubes come out more and more often as well. Sadly, I don't see this going anymore. My core group and I will still hit the water at 7am or right before dusk to get a good ride in.
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9645glazier View Post

Also people hating on surfing is hilarious. The lake is for everyone, if my father or mom wants to surf I'm all for it. The day someone gives me the finger or drives donuts around me for surfing will be the last day they enjoy calm water on the lake. I'll be damned and make sure to remember the boat so I can drive zig zags and nasty powerturns sac'd out in the mornings and afternoons on their line, and well see if they get the point.
Wow. Well I hope that will make you feel better!

Surfing doesn't bother me as it still another way for people to get involved with water sports which is a good thing at the end of the day. That being said it is frustrating at times to see people surfing on perfectly calm water when some of us are trying to wakeboard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old    9Drozd            07-31-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9645glazier View Post

Dunno if your referring to me but we only do that when we are trying to wakeboard and another wakeboard boat out pulling a rider wont let us share the only smooth water on the lake after we set aside and let 3 or so of their riders ride. Then when we do jump in line, they get all pissy about it. Those are the people we do that to. If their out wakesurfing beside us, we just deal with the rollers or go home and try again later. But I don't understand the need to wake surf in smooth water.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-31-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
I started this thread knwoing a lot of people are going to defend surfing. We surf sometimes too, so Im not against it. I just don't "love it". AT the boat show this year not one salesperson mentioned wakeboarding on one boat, every pitch was to surfing. %90 of the boats leaving the marina only have surf boards. The brand new G23 and A22 Vandals on my lake often only have surf boards. To each their own but i guess maybe I am just sad to see so many people ditching wakeboarding for surfing. I mean surfing is fun and all but TO ME, it gets boring after 5 minutes, and is boring to watch after 5 minutes too. Wakeboarding on the other hand rules. Hands down its more fun, the feeling of riding glass water is like powder on a snowboard, and overall its just more fun too me. I guess it does hurt more too.

I am never going to start something with people on the water for surfing, but when we are in a calm bay riding a nice line and a wakesurf boat enters the calm bay to do tight circles over and over again only stopping to power turn to pick up their downed rider who dropped the rope for all of 3 seconds, ya, i get a little annoyed.

Fruitbooting, I love it.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-31-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'm all for wakeboarding as long as possible. However now in my old age of 33 and having wakeboarded for 18+ years my back isn't liking it so much so I can see myself moving to surf more often. The thing really stopping us from doing more surfing right now is my current boat as it doesn't through much of a wave being a DD and most of my friends and myself being 200-240lbs....great for ballast not great on a small wave. However I do agree that it's annoying to have someone surfing in a nice calm piece of water. The other night at my local lake the whole lake was blown out except for one little stretch where we were riding and a boat came in and started surfing. We were done so it didn't matter much but I was still shaking my head.
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-31-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
Like I said, we ride late evenings and early mornings.

We only surf during the day when the lake is blown out already, but again I'll be damned if I get flipped off for pulling family members who want to surf by a punch of punks wakeboarding. Not to mention, most, if not all the wakeboarders on my lake suck, so I would wager flipping off one of the better groups of riders would be a bad idea.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
I got this from some dudes I know of in the Delta somewhere.........CIE said it best
Attached Images

Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-31-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
If 33 and a bad back is your concern then start hitting rails or go wakeskating. Low impact, fun, and not gay like surfing!
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-31-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
It cracks me up that people pay $70-$100,000 for a boat to strictly wakesurf. Waves are free at the beach and a hell of alot bigger and more fun to surf. Half of these wake surfers probably can't even stand up on a real surfboard. #fruitbooters
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-31-2012, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only person who can't stand surfing.

wakesurfing is to wakeboarding as rollerblading is to skateboarding
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-31-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
This is why we are on the water by 7am at the latest on weekends.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-31-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
There is family on our lake with brand new 2012 SAN 230 with the 550HP motor. Sickest boat around and great people. This past winter the pulled the floor and added an extra 3000lbs of hidden ballast to the stock 1000 or whatever. Like a 4 month project. Cutting away foam, 5 extra pumps, etc.... Its amazing how much work they put it and how much they tore up their brand new $120k boat. Now here is the kicker, they did it ALL for surfing. When I was talking with them recentley and I told them how much I'd love to shred their boat they said they have never tried wakeboarding behind it with the ballast and really had no intention too. It really made me sad.

True story.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-01-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I pretty much only use surfing to teach people how to wakeboard. Its much easier to teach people how to get up on the wakesurf board and then have them try a wakeboard imo. I do it here and there for fun when the lake is chop but wakesurfing can't hold my attention to long. Wakeboarding is much more fun and challenging.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-01-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
It's just my opinion but i surf and wakeboard and if I choose to surf that's my choice and where I choose to surf is my choice as well. Whether it's in blown out conditions or a completely flat lake a boat pulling a surfer is not making the water any worse as long as the boat is going straight and no power turns. I'd rather see a boat surfing in an area than another wakeboarder since the surf boat is pulling at 10-11mph and covers little water while the other wakeboarder is covering twice the area going 20-25mph and potentially making pass after pass in confined areas.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
As much as I don't want to admit it, wake surfing is considered a "water sport" now. I will go as far to say that I see wake surfing as a negative thing overall for water sports. Yeah, it may sell more inboards, it may get people into water sports, but where is it going to take them from there? So many people that learn to wake surf, only surf due to the fact that is is low speed, low risk, has easy falls and lets face it - its much easier to learn than wakeboarding - Insert former I/O owner, dad sporting beer gut who only buys a vdrive because they have jamming stereos and ability to wake surf - now his friends/family/kids are subject to nothing but surfing, tubing and tying up at party cove because that is all they know. I wish more people were given opportunities to participate in skiing and wakeboarding rather than tubing and surfing which takes little to no talent and does not tax the body physically. That to me is what true water sports need to say alive.

I'm 27, was born and raised in a 1985 Mastercraft stars and stripes starting when I was 3 months old in a car seat. Started trainer skis at 4. 3-4 days per week I was in the slalom course with my parents watching them run the course and compete. My dad and his friend also messed around with jump, trick skiing and bare footing. 3 event water skiing and wakeboarding is very physically demanding on the body and takes true endurance, talent and skill. I'm not saying wake surfing doesn't require skill to do airs, spins, shuv-its, etc. but for the majority of wake surfers that consider standing on a board behind the boat, "surfing" a powerful propeller pushed curl a true sport - is laughable.

This year marked the 53rd year of the Masters Water Ski tournament, that includes wakeboarding and wakeskating. Wake surfing was not part of the competition. The Red Bull Open in Tampa hosted no wake surfing competition in their events. The annual Malibu Open is this weekend - nowhere on the agenda can wake surfing be found. Mastercraft's Pro Tour = no wake surfing. I hope the "competitive" wake surfing scene stays in its little bubble with Centurion and the World Wake Surf Championship - who actually follows it anyway? Surfgate, 10,000lb ballast, 25ft boats, all things considered - seriously, how can wake surfing evolve much more than it has now? Your so close to the boat its almost impossible to make it spectator sport for anyone not in the boat towing the rider. Skim tricks and slashes getting no more than 1-2ft of air off the lip - not a whole lot of people lining up to watch it something like that. On the other hand, 1080's off the double up, double flips, 20ft airs off a kicker - all requiring more talent and skill that wake surfing - people will actually watch something like that. Hence national TV coverage.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
a boat pulling a surfer is not making the water any worse as long as the boat is going straight and no power turns. I'd rather see a boat surfing in an area than another wakeboarder since the surf boat is pulling at 10-11mph and covers little water while the other wakeboarder is covering twice the area going 20-25mph and potentially making pass after pass in confined areas.
You obviously have no clue about a wake surf wake's after effects up to one mile behind the boat going 10-11mph. Power turn or not, the slow speed and deep drag of the hull creates the wake to not only disburse out each side of the boat, but it creates one long roller directly behind the boat in the prop wash area as well. These rollers can roll forever, I've seen them up to a mile before with a boat digging real good. This causes the wakeboarder's boat sharing the water to porpoise like no other and it does it ALL the way until the wakeboard boat passes the surfer's boat. Obviously this ruins the wakeboarder's wake.

A wakeboard wake creates no full length roller, only a wake on each side of the boat that disburses quickly toward the shore since your going 20-25mph. Wakeboarding wake causes much less effect on water conditions.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
With youth I went from slalom sking to barefooting then to kneeboarding because it was easier on the body and it was the latest cool thing to do. Then I took up wakeboarding because it was easier still on the body and kneeboarding was for d-bags. I guess the natural progression would be to take up wake surfing then tubing but it seems that may no be so cool. Maybe I'll just buy a jet ski and hang out with exclusively with them. They seem clueless and lazy but happy and that would following my natural progression.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-02-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
What a bunch of complainers.

Don't like wakesurfing? Don't do it
Tired of blown out conditions? Find a better spot or time of day
Tired of watching wakesurfing on other people's boat? Get off the boat and buy your own

You sound mad bros.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-02-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
^^ this.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
I remember my dad saying these same words when wakeboarding first started and wasn't in mainstream comp.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-02-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Wakesurfing is the new tubing. I am not joking - I see it like that.
I absolutely put them in the same category. Above it, but in the same category.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
So now we can't even complain about not being able to wakeboard due to a chopped out lake on a wakeboard forum? Jeez, take it easy. Sometimes people just like to vent. Yes we ALL know we can go to a different lake etc... I wasjust pointing out that it's sad that everything is going towards surfing and away from wakeboarding when in fact surfing is kind of boring.

Last night we got some great riding in and as I was wakebaording we passed a group of IDIOTS surfing behind a 1970 15' Outboard! . Yes, surfing behind a damn O/B. With the surfing craze, we can only expect more of this and soon more injuries. It was one of the stupidest things I have ever personally witnessed.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-02-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
As much as I don't want to admit it, wake surfing is considered a "water sport" now. I will go as far to say that I see wake surfing as a negative thing overall for water sports. Yeah, it may sell more inboards, it may get people into water sports, but where is it going to take them from there? So many people that learn to wake surf, only surf due to the fact that is is low speed, low risk, has easy falls and lets face it - its much easier to learn than wakeboarding - Insert former I/O owner, dad sporting beer gut who only buys a vdrive because they have jamming stereos and ability to wake surf - now his friends/family/kids are subject to nothing but surfing, tubing and tying up at party cove because that is all they know. I wish more people were given opportunities to participate in skiing and wakeboarding rather than tubing and surfing which takes little to no talent and does not tax the body physically. That to me is what true water sports need to say alive.

I'm 27, was born and raised in a 1985 Mastercraft stars and stripes starting when I was 3 months old in a car seat. Started trainer skis at 4. 3-4 days per week I was in the slalom course with my parents watching them run the course and compete. My dad and his friend also messed around with jump, trick skiing and bare footing. 3 event water skiing and wakeboarding is very physically demanding on the body and takes true endurance, talent and skill. I'm not saying wake surfing doesn't require skill to do airs, spins, shuv-its, etc. but for the majority of wake surfers that consider standing on a board behind the boat, "surfing" a powerful propeller pushed curl a true sport - is laughable.

This year marked the 53rd year of the Masters Water Ski tournament, that includes wakeboarding and wakeskating. Wake surfing was not part of the competition. The Red Bull Open in Tampa hosted no wake surfing competition in their events. The annual Malibu Open is this weekend - nowhere on the agenda can wake surfing be found. Mastercraft's Pro Tour = no wake surfing. I hope the "competitive" wake surfing scene stays in its little bubble with Centurion and the World Wake Surf Championship - who actually follows it anyway? Surfgate, 10,000lb ballast, 25ft boats, all things considered - seriously, how can wake surfing evolve much more than it has now? Your so close to the boat its almost impossible to make it spectator sport for anyone not in the boat towing the rider. Skim tricks and slashes getting no more than 1-2ft of air off the lip - not a whole lot of people lining up to watch it something like that. On the other hand, 1080's off the double up, double flips, 20ft airs off a kicker - all requiring more talent and skill that wake surfing - people will actually watch something like that. Hence national TV coverage.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post

So just because it's a low impact low risk activity, means it shouldn't be considered a sport? LOL

Waterskiers were probably using these exact same arguments against wakeboarding when that first came on the scene.

If you don't like a sport, don't participate in it. Honestly, I wouldn't even let you on my boat with that kind of attitude, regardless of what sport(s) will be going down on the lake that day.

Live and let live my friend.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
I would call it more of a leisure activity than a sport. It's funny cause wake surfers are the kooks of tow sports and the kooks of real surfing. Hell SUP is cooler than wakesurfing.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'll give wakesurfing this though; it's a cooler boardsport than those ripstick things from a toy store and cooler than playing on a balance board.

Ok well no it's worse than indo boarding.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-02-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
I would call it more of a leisure activity than a sport. It's funny cause wake surfers are the kooks of tow sports and the kooks of real surfing. Hell SUP is cooler than wakesurfing.
Watch it buddy with the SUP jokes lol. SUP is a workout not just addicting. Go out on a 4-7mile paddle and report back tomorrow
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
I do downwinders on our lake and whitewater sup on sum local class 2 and 3 rapids. Agreed sup is the best on water workout I've ever gotten. Sup is blowing up!!! And that's not an inflateble board joke. I do enjoy a flatwater paddle from time to time but I consider it more of a workout than a sport. I winch a bunch and varying my whitewater sup has become as much a priority on winch trips as my wakeskate and board. We use it to get the winch across creeks in certain situations and we've taken the fin off, fliped it over and used it as an incline, decline or just a short flat bar multiple times. I wasn't trying to hate on sup but as an inlander I know on the coast that the core surfers make fun of um in the lineup.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-02-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
It's funny how waterskiers got mad at wakeboarders because of our huge wakes. Now wakeboarders get mad because of people surfing with huge wakes. Go figure. When it comes down to it you could call most people on here "hardcore wakeboarders" the other percentage who don't give a crap about this site enough and only put a few hours on their boat a year don't care when or where they surf. That's also why they don't know how to properly dock a boat or how to get on or off a trailer well. You're never going to change these people. The weekend wally's will always be there....just like seadoo's.

There is quite a swell caused by surfing that follows the direction of the boat. I can easily see how this would ruin the water especially at a spot like the Delta as it's not washing out left to right on the banks.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
I wakesurf exclusively and love every bit of it. It's very challenging and there are new tricks to learn every time I go out. Sure, I miss going big and doing flips. But, after recovering from two blown discs, I'm not looking back and am pushing myself to progress in wakesurfing. Watch a video like this and it may change you thinking about wakesurfing.:

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
I wakesurf exclusively and love every bit of it. It's very challenging and there are new tricks to learn every time I go out. Sure, I miss going big and doing flips. But, after recovering from two blown discs, I'm not looking back and am pushing myself to progress in wakesurfing. Watch a video like this and it may change you thinking about wakesurfing.:

Still didn't change my mind. Even the rider looked bored. I only watched the first minute though.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
Don't go out on the weekends, especially when its hot! evey public lake is a washing machine on a hot weekend. It's not rocket science! Most of the 50k plus inboards on our lake are pulling bisquits around anyway. Ive only seen one wakeboarder in the last 6 years on our lake actually do a flip or a spin! Hardcore wakeboarders??? I don't think so!! Its everyone for themselves on our lake! between the lake lice, and bayliners power turning to pick up riders that can't even go wake to wake, and tubers its impossible to do any riding on our lake on the weekend! And I have yet to see a surf boat do a power turn. Maybe TRANSWORLD WAKEBOARDING MAGAZINE should stop advertising wakesurfing! now you all know how the waterskiers felt when wakeboarding came on the scene.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-04-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Loved opening my latest wakeboarding magazine and seeing a 2 page supra wakesurfing ad 4 pages in. Imagine all the tears!

Old     (jfd)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-04-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Wakeboarders can wakeboard on a choppy lake, but won't have fun due to the limited tricks that they will be able to stomp.

Wakesurfers can surf on a choppy lake but will have less fun because they will be limited in the tricks they will be able to stomp.

At least that's my point of view beeing a wakesurfer doing real tricks like 360 shuv-its and big spins.

And I never do any power turns to go get a fallen rider, i stop the boat turning slowly and the slowly get the rider. No need to rush!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-04-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
This thread is great, I always love bashing my wakeboard friends. I think most fellas in here have all been die hard wakeboarders at one point. While rocking their late 80s Centurions lisitening to Chumbawumba.....wake boarding is so 90s I have to admit I love when girls on the boat surf, just something about it. I like driving for surefers on my boat easy and smooth, I love less than 4gph. I always say real me dont need ropes . But man wakeboarding every once in a while still kicks ass for sure.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-04-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Wakesurfing is the new tubing. I am not joking - I see it like that.
I absolutely put them in the same category. Above it, but in the same category.
Post that vid of you doing a 360 shuv Truth
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2012, 3:31 AM Reply   
All the guys slamming surfing haven't surfed. If they had,they would have realized it takes skill. Much like wake skating it takes hours of practice everyday to get really good. Wake boarding is no different. It also takes hours of practice every day. The real meat in the sandwich is they don't like to board in tore up water. Well put on your big boy pants and stop whining.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-05-2012, 6:02 AM Reply   
It was "Tuber Day" at my local lake yesterday. They seemed to follow us everywhere. We finally decided to weight the boat down and surf, so we were able to give the tubers what they really wanted. It was pretty funny watching them hit our wakesurf rollers and getting dealt.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-05-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
until you get a water nazi on your lake to tell you what you can and can't do where and when, the best way to get flat water consistently is to go when others don't. That means midweek in the summer, before 9:00 a.m. on summer weekends, and spring and fall. While it boggles my mind that someone would tube up perfectly glassy water, that's exactly what I saw every morning of our camping trip last week. In fact, several tow boats went to the most remote, consistently good, stretch of the lake to do just that.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-05-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Its always flat where I wakeboard and I still enjoy getting the surfboard out!
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-06-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Can you believe the rollers these sacked out wakeboard boats put out???? I mean, I'm just trying to eat my lunch in peace in the middle of the lake and here comes mr. 7,000 lbs of ballast ruining my perfect day for sitting out in the middle of the lake...
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-06-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
Yo JF, since yourthrowing bigspins and 3 shuvs why not make it legit and just wakeskate. Then at least your participating in a sport.