Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-13-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
What parts would you use and what are the costs? Im looking to put the total pricetag on getting a better stereo system in my boat. I currently have a Sony 52x4 head unit and the standard 4 xplod speakers in the boat. I know for tower speakers I want to use wetsounds PRO-80s

I can't afford to spend $5k on this, I want the minimum in parts but won't make me regret it every time I turn the thing on.

(Message edited by ccwhite on December 13, 2007)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-13-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
Are you going to do the install yourself?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-13-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
I bought most of my stuff from best buy and still spent under that. Plus, everyone knows best buy isn't the cheapest....

I think it depends if you are gonna park the boat and party too (amps get hot, no air movement).

I would install the deck/4 speakers and go get a punch 300.2 for this part. The punch 300.2 is 2 channel, but will run at 2ohms since you have 4 speakers. This takes care of the inside and is VERY loud and clean.

I would find/build a ported box and put a 12" dual voice coil sub with the punch 300.1, which will be bridged once hooked up (make sure you cross the wires at the voice coils to bridge).

Then all you have to worry about is an amp for the tower speakers and purchase the wetsounds. I'm not sure how many watts the wetsounds take, so...

I run this same setup (with different tower speakers than you are getting) and am always the one to play my stereo on the beach because it's usually the loudest and most clean sounding.

Tuning your stereo is a MAJOR part. I hear soooo many people get there sounds installed and it sounds like crap because they don't tune it right. AND, they might even have a better setup, more expensive, but still sounds like crap...because no tuneage!
Old    atloutbackv            12-13-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
i have a bunch of amplifiers sitting around from my last system i will let them go for cheap.. pm me if you are interested...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-13-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
It all depends on what you want but with a bit of frugal shopping and doing the install yourself you can do it a lot cheaper than going to your local installer.

Example i installed mine last winter with all new components gathered off of eBay or other online sites like MillionBuy over a couple months for about $900 and it included;

Pioneer DEH-P4900ib hu
Pioneer CD-MR70 remote
Pioneer ipod direct connect cable
6 Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5" coaxials
Rockford Fosgate 10" sub (changed to kicker C10, free!)
sub enclosure (since redone, made better and bigger box)
Tower cans from DIY Wake
2 Orion amps
2 PAC LC-1 controls
all rca's, cables & speaker wire from KnuKonceptz online
Distribution blocks and terminals
second battery & isolator
miscellaneous stuff

Had i added wetsounds on the tower instead of the RF's it would have been around $2000 along with an amp upgrade, but i didn't as i'm not keeping this boat. It turned out great, sounds great and does everything i wanted it to do without breaking the bank.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
craigslist/ebay
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
www.edesignaudio.com

This is what I used, and it's bad ass for the prices.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-13-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
I probably won't do the install myself. But I do have a couple of guys that I have ridden with that I could probably tap and for a 6-pack plus some pulls get it really cheap.

I'm still at the stage where I have to find out how much its going to cost (so I can figure out how to shoehorn it into my budget) and I am not ready to start buying parts yet.

As for the purpose, we don't sit and party very much. On the normal summer day we will ride for 3 hours, then take a 30 minute swim/eat break and then back to it for another couple hours. During the week we just ride.

I am not looking for anything to blow out the windows of the houses on the river, I really just want to be able to hear the music at 80', but in such a way without blasting out the people in the boat.

My other thought is that I would like to have 2 volume controls, one for in-boat and one for the tower. Originally I just planed on doing this using the fade on the head unit.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-13-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Hey Chris-
I just recently went through this same deal. 04 Malibu 23 LSV, had just the stock Sony HU and 6 Xplod's. The transom remote had gone bad, but front remote was working. This is what I did:

New Sony HU, compatible with the Sony Ipod adapter and the new-style Sony RM-X55m remotes

2 new RM-x55m remotes

Polk db651's for the interior (6)

Wetsounds Pro 80's (2)

Kicker CVR 12 sub in a box under the dash (dual 400W 4-ohm voice coils)

Kicker 400W RMS class D amp for the sub

Kicker 650x4 amp for the wetsounds

Kicker 350x4 for the Polks

2nd battery and an automatic combiner

0-ga power and ground wire to distibution blocks/fuses, then 4-ga wire to the amps

10-ga speaker wire to all speakers

I shopped around for a long time and got a lot of stuff off E-bay; the Wetsounds and Kicker 650 were used from a guy on the Malibucrew, most of the rest of the stuff was new. I have about $1800 total into the system. It cranks. Super loud, with no distortion. Not as nice as a lot of systems out there, but plenty adequate for my needs. It honestly is so loud that it hurts inside the boat, but no distortion. Very clear 80 feet back.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-13-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
You cannot hear the music clearly at 80' without annoying the houses along the river. Not possible.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-13-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Well there is a little bit of a difference between annoying the houses and breaking their windows.

Also, I don't need it to be just like I was wearing an ipod or anything - I also like to hear the water rushing by my board. Just so I can have it loud enough that I am not straining to figure out what music is playing.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-19-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Pioneer HU DEH-P9800BT
Pionner remote CD-MR80D
I-pod cable CD-IB100II
Audio control Epicenter
Audio control THREE.1
Audio Control DQXS
Orion HCCA 12.2x2
Orion XTR Pro 2400x2
LPA Tower Cans Loaded with Kicker SS 65.2 Components
6 sets Mb Quart Q-line QSF216 Nano
Kicker SX700.4X2
Stinger Dry Cell Sp800 X 4
All marine Grade Circuit breakers, no distribution blocks.
All Marine grade stinger wires.

When all is said and done, about 11,000.00 I am a dealer so I got it much cheaper. Good thing it is the demo boat. If you are serious.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
It sounds like you just need tower speakers. Why spend a lot coin when you are going to have the interior speakers turned down most of the time?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-20-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
seven stars, thats sounds like exactly what he's looking for! great post. LOL
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-20-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Well I love how people spend 60 plus thousand on a boat and 50 plus on a tow rig but skimp on their systems. Seriously you want the best sound for two grand? Come on. I get it all the time. "Well a custom box is a bit high, I can get it from Best buy for 60.00" Go ahead with the prefab non waterproofed boxes that are a general size not the size specific for the Woofer. I Have a Client that makes serious money, has a houseboat, a huge house a boat and all the smaller toys. He comes by the shop to see if there are any leftovers from what we gutted out of a customers boat. Then he wants me to install them for free.

Oh and by the way spend the Money or you will regret it. Just stay away from Car Stereo shops. Hopefully there is a Marine audio place close by.

Trying to save money. www.onlinecarstereo.com or try e-bay. All new product at the prices dealers are buying. GOOD LUCK
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-20-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
I love how every blowhard with a 12 comes here lecturing how crappy $2000 sound systems are. You wanted to say "I'm a dealer." and "My system costs 11,000 dollars." WTF cares?

And your friend with "serious money" may be on to something. I don't know many people that would pay 11K for what you listed. Have fun. I'm off to make money, not excuses. LOL.

FWIW i agree with greg. sounds like 80' is where you want it.

Sam, great system at a reasonable price. Bet it sounds awesome.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
The reason that some people have a 60K boat and only want a $2000.00 stereo is that the parents bought the boat, which I'm not raggin on. The parents usually couldn't care less so if the kid's want it so they have to buck up and pay for it out of their own pocket. Most parents would think that the stock stereo is fine and that they don't need 4 amps and 14 speakers throughout the boat. The ones that do...good on ya.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-20-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Crap Man this is just a demo boat we use to ride with but also go to competitions. I was messing around. I know most boat owners would not do this to their boats, remember I am in the industry and see how people try to conserve in this area. YOU CAN make a stereo sound good for 2,000. You aren't going to get top of the line for that like everyone searches for. You will get a decent sound. I do 2,000 dollar set-ups all the time that sound killer till they hear what the demo boat does. I always tell my customers never listen to a demo boat or car, you will be disappointed after hearing it. I can't give that sound for two G's.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Well in my case, I saved for 3 years to affoard my boat. My truly awesome wife did some magic money juggling and went and bought the boat for me as a suprise fathers day gift 6 months earlier that I thought we could affoard it.

However, when she bought it we were in the middle of a 'discussion' about the stereo. She most definatly does not want to have tower speakers (she thinks they are rude to the rest of the area). So when she bought the boat, she just got the standard stereo.

Fast forward to today, and I am almost have the stereo argument won, but I can't put drop a $10k nut down in one go and I can't roll it in with my boat note. So I can do the next best thing, buy my tower speakers and the minimum it would take to get it running, then slowly upgrade it over time.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-20-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
people that drop $10k into a system for their boat, are in this sport for the wrong reasons. IMO. I like your style Chris. good luck bro.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-20-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Chris, there is a guy on DallasWakeboarding.com that has a set of Pro 80's and a JL 300/2 amp for sale. He wants $650 for the speakers and $150 for the amp.

That's $800 for a top notch tower speakers set up w/o even trying to negotiate. That amp will really push those speakers well!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-20-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
^ thats a good deal on some pro audio right there.

Chris, dedicating an amp to the tower is a good idea. You can control the volume remotely without changing the cabin, tower off when not towing, etc. I'm sure your wife would like that feature.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-20-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Nacho, I would like to do that. What would I need to add to my existing system to do that?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
Hey Erik,
I believe they call them "remote level controllers" & are attached to the crossover. Heres a picture of the Kicker KX3.
I have two amps & three of the volume knobs, one for the interior speakers, one for the tower speakers & one for the sub. Works pretty slick.
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-21-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
looks like it would work. but, you don't have to get that complicated. a PAC LC-1 is about 10 bucks. Plug it into the amp or channel of the amp you want to control. mount the knob and you're done.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-21-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Nacho and Bill.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-21-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Looks like Nacho has discussed this before. Some cool pics of nice installs here. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/213746.html?1109308044
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-21-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
So far on my system I have spent $300

-2 DEI A404 (50 watts X 4 RMS)
-1 Infinfity 311a (300 watt RMS @ 2 ohms)
-1 Clarion EQS746 EQ/Crossover with sub control and AUX input

I am going to run an IPOD dock and Ipod for my source. I dont listen to cds much on the boat. All thats left is 2 10" subs, and interior speakers and tower speakers
Old     (sbaugz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-22-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Here is my system. It sounds great and didn't break the bank.

Sony CDX-R30M head unit for $100 at www.Hookedontronics.com

Soundstream XTA 720.4 amp used on wakeworld for $100

new Polk DB6501 component speakers on ebay for $99

new Polk MM2084 8" sub from ebay for $60

new sub enclosure for polk sub on ebay for $40

4 gauge amp wiring kit from www.knukonceptz.com

Harman Kardon Drive + Play ipod controller from www.stootsi.com for $20

Upload
Upload