Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-13-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
I see a lot of opinions on this board about how important the dealer factors into the boat buying decision. When I bought my boat, I demo'd 12 different boats from four different manufactures. I feel I really did my homework. All the dealers (except one) were very professional. Of the final three, two were 30 minutes away and one was two hours away, this is one way. Anyway, I bought from the manufacture (dealer) that was two hours away because I felt they had the best product. My question is, if you spend $40K-$70k on a NEW boat, how often do you expect to the dealer to factor in, at least in the warranty period? With the money I spent, I based it 90% on the product itself. In the 20 months I have owned my boat, luckily I have only had two minor repair issues, neither which kept the boat off the water. Plus, my dealer has a dock side service deal...$75 fee. I based my decision on the product, not the dealer. I would like to hear opinions on this subject. Yes, I know B.O.A. T. bring another thousand.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2007, 2:16 AM Reply   
I think buying from a well known and well respected dealer is a very important process of buying a boat. you can spend 70 grand on a boat and if they don't have the trained technicians to be able to figure out whats going on with your boat you basically just waisted about half that money. if the parts department doesn't know what they're doing they can order the wrong parts and delay your boat from being back on the water for about another week. and if the sales staff is just ruge to you when you call about something(you know they're thinking oooooo god what warranty issue is he calling about this time)it just makes it even worse. you could buy the best boat out there and spend 100 grand on it and in the end of the buy process if they're a bad dealer that doesn't know what they're doing that boat is worthless.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-14-2007, 4:51 AM Reply   
Dealer muy importante. Luckily, my dealer wins every award from Malibu and Industry, WSA.

I would almost buy a MC if there were the dealer
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
Dealer is very important. Most boats are gonna have a few warranty items. You want a dealer that gets it fixed and backs its product. More important than the dealer in my opinion is the builder. In other words, do they back their product and force the dealer to act, or do they work with the dealer to give you the run around, which does occur with at least one manufacturer.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
Its the same reason you wouldnt buy a new Mercedes Benz from some guy on the side of the road. Having a great dealer only makes spending that kind of money a little reassurring to you if you have a problem with your boat. How many times on here do you hear someone say "I spent $60k and I think they should treat me better."?

I guess you could ask yourself, if you could save $5000.00 by buying a boat direct from the MFG and once you buy, your on your own no warranty no seeing a dealer afterwards would you do it?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-14-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
If I were buying a new boat; on a scale of 10 the dealer would be an 11 if I planned on having them do maintenance and keeping it warrantied.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       12-14-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
From my experience, the dealer is a huge part of many boat buyer's decision process. I'm always amazed at how often we here new customers say that they'd never go back to this or that dealership because of a bad service experience they had. They don't care which boat lines the dealership carries once they feel they've been treated poorly.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
The Dealer is the most important part of the deal. You never know when something may go wrong. It's at that point that you need someone to stand up for you. Yes if you never a problem then everything is good.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-14-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
craigslist is the best dealer ever, you can low ball them
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I drive right past one dealer on my way to a reputable dealer 3 hours away. Had dealings with the crappy dealer with a previous boat and it is worth the time and gas to deal with a professional.
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
I came to dread going to my dealer. Not necessarily because I thought they did a bad job with the actual servicing of the boat. It was that they just acted like I wasn't important at all. I will not buy another boat from them again period! I still like the product but piece of mind is pretty valuable too.

When it all comes down to it the differences among the manufacturers you are pretty much splitting hairs but the differences in dealers can be significant.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
There is a reason I bought my boat from a dealer 140 miles away when I could have purchased it from a dealer 5 miles away. CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

One knows a great deal about it and the other has no clue.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-15-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
i spend more time at my dealer than i do at home. I love the place. great people great place.