Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (batistat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever ridden any of the triple x boards? I am looking at getting a 58" and was wondering if it is a good board. I am trying to upgrade from a broadcast 5'6".
Old    surfdad            08-31-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've been on the XXX 58". Fun little board. It's got a d-cell core, feels like 3 layers of s-glass top and bottom - pretty standard skimboard build schedule. The Freak traction is good. I noticed that it had some very minor finish issues tiny pinholes in two isolated area. No structural issues, just cosmetic. Overall it was finished very well. It came with a 2" Rainbow fin that - I don't know, it felt weird to me, just to deep or something, but it would be an easy swap.

Solidly built board, all the right ingredients d-cell, s-glass, epoxy and freak traction. I've seen them on ebay fairly cheap, too.
Old     (batistat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
How does it perform. The broadcast feels like it doesn't have any umph. We have a couple larger riders 190-220 and it takes a lot of work to try and stay with the wave. Do you think this will be easier for us. Also they compared it to the oogle and have heard good things about that board. Is it comparable to the oogle?
Old    surfdad            09-01-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
It performs ok, it's a bit bigger than an Oogle - same LOA, but it's about 1/4" thicker and almost an inch wider. The broadcast is a nice board to learn on, it's stable and it's slow. The 58" XXX will be faster, but if you folks are struggling to stay in the pocket, I'm not sure this is the best option. Dropping length on a board is usually not the way to go when you are still working on staying with the pocket.

What sort of wake are you folks surfing on? Tall and clean or is the face mushy at all?
Old     (batistat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
It's can be a little mushy at times (when we hit shallower water) but for the most part pretty clean. The broadcast feels like trying to drive a car with no power steering
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-01-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
The gal that won the XXX at Nationals was riding at 14.8 behind my Enzo last weekend.
Old    surfdad            09-01-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hey Tom,

I guess I'm getting confused or maybe there are just a bunch of folks at different stages of accomplishment. The 58" Triple has hard rails, so it will edge faster than the broadcast, but it won't turn as quickly as say a smed wombat with the fins further up from the tail.

The folks that are still struggling finding the pocket, may not appreciate the relative looseness of this board. In my experience, those folks need a bigger more stable board until they get their surf legs.

You've indicated that the larger riders are in the 190-220 range and they'll be able ride the XXX, at least once they got their surf legs. For those folks that feel the broadcast is sluggish, the XXX will be a step up, but it won't be "as good as it gets" in the rail-to-rail response department. I'd also not be first on the list to recommend that board for folks still working on finding the pocket, for those folks a bigger, floatier board with some fins would be my recommendation. The wombat, blue lake, jamako, etc for those.
Old     (batistat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
There are definitely a bunch of people at different levels. Me and Bro are looking for something a little more aggressive. Dad is still working on finding the pocket all the time. Mom and wife just like to cruise the lake without the rope. We got the whole crew up and going this summer!!
But we just pulled the boat as fall has snuck up on us. I was asking bout the xxx cuz I saw a good deal on one on ebay but any other recommendations are welcome. I am trying to keep the price down though.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-01-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
You need a boat board like a larger wombat, blue lake, jamako like Surfdad said that's fast yet stable for the larger riders that have found the pocket but still not getting air or landing 360's.

My wife just started riding with the broadcast and is ready for some speed so she doesn't have to really work to stay in the pocket so she'll start on our Blue Lake.

For you and your bro, a smaller board that's just for your weight range and a bit too loose for beginner riders. Lots of options there. Check other threads as many have been recommended.

I got a great deal on a slightly used board in the classifieds here. Ebay is sometimes good too. It' miss. Since you pulled your boat, you have a lot of time till next season. BBB has good deals in the winter on last year's models. I saw a IS 4-skim for $275 last January. Deals will come and go fast. Have a short list ready and funds. Good luck

(Message edited by sailing216 on September 01, 2008)
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-01-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Hit or miss.

Computer implied that I felt a reason to use profanity. Really I just can't type... LOL
Old    surfdad            09-02-2008, 4:42 AM Reply   
Too funny on the ' miss :-) Must be the use of a contraction. :-)

I concur with Joe B. It's really hard to have a one board quiver when your crew has varying skill levels and there is a broad weight range.
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
I have ridden the 5'2 & 5'8 boards. They are both great boards. They as well have skim style and they have some new products coming out for next years line up. I am a new to wake surfing but they are a quality board.
Old    surfdad            09-03-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Hey Chris, welcome to the board. Are you part of East Coast Hydrofoils? I remember looking up one of the ebay Triple X boards listed by East Coast Surf and it looked like one page had a reference to the ECH page by accident and the telephone number for a Tim Cameron is on both sites.

Anyway...if you are, can you tell us what Triple X will be selling next year? Any pictures?