Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
I am in the market for a full size chevrolet truck. Preferably a 2500 HD but I can't decide on the 6.6 Duramax Deisel or the 8.1 liter gas motor. I know the duramax has more torque but it is like a $6,000 option. I am pulling a Mobius LSV and later down the road, I would like to get a cab over.
Thoughts???
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-10-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
you will save the 6,000 in gas from the deisel. Everyone I have talked to that got the 8.1 wish they got the deisel and said there 8.1 is super horrible on the gas.
Old    masterwake            05-11-2005, 1:38 AM Reply   
From a power standpoint you are good either way Russ-I pull a 23ft MC with my 5.3L Tahoe and I can't even tell the boat is attached. The gas mileage is pretty bad (10 MPG at best) so I can imagine the 8.1 is probably worse.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-11-2005, 2:42 AM Reply   
Boat AND cab-over? Get the Duramax/Allison...more power/torque than you may ever need, but at least you know it's there.

As far as the 8.1, gets similar MPG as the 6.0L for some odd reason (12-13mpg), but at least it's coupled with the Allison transmission, which I understand is ultra reliable. And it has much more torque than the 6.0L(they didn't have an 8.1L in stock, when we bought the HD, but my wife's not complaining).
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-11-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
I have an '04 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison tranny and you cannot go wrong with it. It pulls my X2 with a full bed of gear for a weekend with no problems and makes 16-17 MPG regardless.

The Allison tranny is great in TOW mode...really good at picking the right gear so the full torque is always available.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
Go with the diesel... I speak cause I just went through the same thing. I have a truck camper (I assume that is what you mean by cabover) and I pull a boat. I had a 5.7L gas and mileage was about 6mpg pulling both at the same time. I just switched to the diesel and my mileage doubled. Around 18 mpg not towing. You will definitely make the money back on the diesel that you invest if you keep it for a while. Not to mention re-sale is much better on the diesel...
The 5.7L did tow them both fine though. It was just the gas mileage...
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-11-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
One word of caution- once you go diesel, you'll never go back. It is worth it just for the fun factor in everyday driving. Also, you will get part of the initial cost premium back in resale.