Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Anyone seen anything like this in the droid market? Speed based volume control?

http://www.appstorehq.com/adaptunes-...hone-44352/app
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Wohoo! Found it! Works perfectly with great controls! Yay.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...l?nav=previous
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-28-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Nice find!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Dope! Been looking for that. I'll see how it compares to the HSE RVC.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
So are you using your Droid phone as your music player?

I'll check this out once I get my phone back from warranty...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Yep, have not picked up my iPod has not been used in 4 months. Pandora 24/7
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Same here. I got the car dock for my boat, its been great even in some of the roughest chop it doesn't budge. I have a ton of MP3's on it, Slacker, Last FM, Pandora and Sirius/XM. I have a subscription for it on my truck so it was only 2.99 a month to add to the phone. One feature I love is when I hear a song I just Shazaam it, I can then add the song from Amazon easily as Shazzam offers a direct link.

Just tried the volume control on the golf cart, it worked great. I would prefer the volume bar and data to be larger in the display.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'll have to but it when I get home but I was weren't if there was one for the droid but doubted it. So this app is solid she worth the money? What androidsdo you guys have? I got my droid x two weeks ago and it is awesome
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-28-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for finding that. I have been spending alot of company time looking for one of those. Pandora rocks!! Have you guys had any issue with the volume output on the phones? I bought a AA battery powered booster from Radio Shack but was looking for something to possibly hard wire.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I have the HTC Incredible. Output Volume is about the same as my iPods.

Also, make sure you go into the Pandora Settings and change the Audio quality to High, it makes a big difference.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Nice, I have the incredible as well. At least I did until I walked into the water this past weekend with it in my boardshorts pocket (yeah, 4th phone I've done this with, and I also ruined an Ipod Touch same way).

So I'm waiting to get my new one. I'm glad to see there is an app like this for our phone. I'll have to try using my phone as a media player, I always use my Ipod.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-28-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!?! I have been looking for something like this for forever. Was about to buy a used iphone 3G just to see if I could get adpatunes to work.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
Dude Ray, really?

So I just got off the lake. It works fairly well, definitely worth the money but its nothing compared to the HSE RVC. Its functional but seriously its not even close. I played with all the settings several times and couldn't quite get it to my liking for attenuation and I'd like a max volume setting. I don't like to have the Droid volume over two clicks from max as it begins to distort past that.

All in all good but not great.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
lol I just read that and laughed my ass off, I just started using Swype a few days ago and was typing that out on my lunch break where this lady kept talking to me and so the combination of poor typing and jumbled thoughts produced that mess.

But I tried this app out and its definitely better than nothing but it could really use a setting for volume at the low boundary, its way too big of a difference between the low and high boundaries. It also hasnt been updated since April and it doesnt have too many downloads, so it may be difficult to get the developer to make any changes or updates.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
You can set the low boundary. I can't set the high boundary.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
Just got a response from the developer......

Hi Alan,

thanks for the positive feedback :-)!

The maximum volume limit is defined by your phone, my app can’t change that built-in level. There is an app called "Louder Volume Hack" ( http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...omod-jmiC.aspx ), but you need a rooted device for it to work and it doesn’t seem to work on all devices. Or do you mean you want to specify a maximum volume over which the app never goes (in case the maximum volume is too loud for you)?

If you want the app to reach a specific volume at a specific speed, you can define the “zones” as follows:

Lower boundary: 0
Upper boundary: The speed at which you want the volume to be max
Number of zones: 8

This way, the zones will be small enough to let you reach your phone’s maximum volume at the defined top speed.

Best regards,
Nick
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
I didn't spend a whole lot of time paying with the settings. How do you set the lower volume, just with the volume rocker to set the media volume while not moving?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2010, 3:40 AM Reply   
Custom Start up Volume Level is the baseline level.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Ray, lol I see now

I think that you can set the max volume for the phone itself through setting>sounds>media volume
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-29-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
After messing with it on the car ride to work, I'm perry sure it works by controlling the media volume just as if you were to do it from the settings menu. So when you' re at the speed of your upper boundary, your medusa volume should be at 100%. I'm gonna try and get out on the boat later and see how it works for that application though
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
I was playing with it last night with the Startup volume at 1/4 and the upper speed boundary at 20 mph. It would not get anywhere near max volume, maybe 2/3rds. Can't really figure it out. I also noticed that if you touch your regular volume button, it basically turns off the app.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
When we were wake surfing I set it up for start 5 MPH and stop increasing at 15 it worked fairly well. It seemed like that once you adjusted the volume its stopped increasing it but if you slowed it would decrease the volume.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-29-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
I couldn't get it to really work very well. Using it on an EVO. Seemed like it kept dropping the signal.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-29-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
The developer is pretty responsive and has already released an update based on out feedback.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Here is is response to me. Sweet!

Alan,

thanks for your reply. I now know what you mean by the max volume setting you mentioned and have published an update that implements this. You will find the new option under “settings”. It would be great if you could let me know whether it works for you.

For your question regarding the best setup for your wakeboarding-case:

I would choose 0mph as the lower boundary, 25mph as the upper one, and select about 5 zones.

In addition, I have added an option to specify “jumps” in volume, meaning that instead of gradually increasing the volume in each zone, you can now double or triple the volume which lets you reach the chosen max volume much quicker (because you otherwise wouldn’t have enough “room” to reach it in the relatively small window from 5mph to 23mph). In my tests (with a car) this setting works best at a 2-3 value when moving within the 5mph to 23mph window.

Best regards,
Nick
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Cool, good work Alan
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
As a side not I had mine set at 10 yesterday to give it the smoothest transitions.
Old     (dduer)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
I was not loving this app morning on the lake this morning. Alan thanks for the quick update and guided instructions. Great service! Working much better with the boat!
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-29-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Mine still seems to be dropping the signal. This app is almost there just not quite as good as adaptunes yet.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
What signal? It is GPS based.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-29-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
is there anything like this for the blackberry storm?
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-29-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
I highly doubt it, Smitty. The blackberry market and the applications made for them are lacking in depth. My old Curve didn't have street-level GPS where it would not know my exact location or speed of travel, don't know if your Storm does or if it all just uses cell phone towers and whatever else to triangulate your position, because that would be necessary for any application like this

Last edited by wakeborder5; 07-29-2010 at 8:00 PM.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-29-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
Ya I searched a bunch and came up empty. Droid X here I come!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
OK. I am pretty happy with these settings. Make sure you get the update if you don't have the latest version of the software.

Volume Step 3
Start up Volume 40%
Max Volume 100% (My Incredible has no distortion at 100%)
Lower Speed Boundary 0mph
Upper Speed Boundary 25mph
Number of Zones -5 (0-5,5-10,10-15,15-20,20-25)
Display MPH

I have noticed that you must be sitting still when you turn on the Auto Volume and you can not touch the external volume buttons once activated, weird things happen.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-30-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Yeah the gps signal. It's like it registers but doesn't hold. Maybe it's just the evo.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-30-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Not working on EVO. Emailed the dev. and we will see if it gets fixed
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-30-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Sweet then I know it's not just me.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nice find. However, I am with "Who Cards" and have an Evo also. I guess I can wait for the developer to update it.

Who Cares: Froyo is being pushed down on Tuesday
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-30-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
David, didn't think about that. It might work with Froyo. The only thing I'll probably lose the free tethering option then. I have been ignoring the recent update just to keep it right now.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Xda will root it within a week

I don't think you will be without it for long
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-30-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Any response for the developer on the app not working on EVO?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
FYI, updates (froyo) to the original moto droid is expected next week. This might fix the issue since the devoloper created the app to work for the driod. So he does have the option update it to make sure that it works on froyo. The problem with the app working in one environment and not the other is probably fragmentation between the two. Once both phone are on the "same" OS, there is a smaller fragmentation and possibility that the app will work on both phones.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-30-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
I herd from him and he told me to try new settings. I`ll test it tonight!

David- Are you sure froyo is coming I have been hearing that for weeks and if it is anything like my hero it will take months.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Who Cares: http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-froyo-android-22 Yes, it's available now if you want to install.

I'm downloading now and will let you know. The first link in the article does not work and you will need to scroll down to the links within the comments to then be redirected to another site that has the download file available. If you feel uncomfortable with applying this before it comes out, Sprint has posted on their Facebook pack and Sprint.com that the update will be this week. So, you can either wait or apply.

The Evo is Sprints priority phone at this time. Spring will make sure that this phone doesn't get too far behind the others and seems to be their "cash cow" for now. The Hero was never Sprints "top of the line" phone. At that time, it was the HTC Touch Pro 2 that they took care of.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Here is the Droid's Froyo update article and confirmation: http://www.androidcentral.com/origin...d-22-next-week
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-31-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
Ok I tested it! flop... still didnt work. he said to try his new upfdate which I did and now it works with the phones speaker but not the headphone jack. I have mail into him now. Ill keep you posted
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2010, 5:18 AM Reply   
Spent all day, 6 hours driving for a tournament and 4 hours having fun after, using it. Completely flawless on my Incredible. Hopefully you guys with different phones will get if going soon.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Just wanted people to know that I downloaded this app on Thursday and today my bank calls to ask if I took a $55. cab ride in London. So if you downloaded this app make sure that you watch your credit card statements.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
No Way!!!!!!!
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Just off the phone with fraud rep and make that 2 charges for $55. We will see what else shows up.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yikes!

Just checked my statement and nothing but the charge for the app.

Last edited by alans; 08-03-2010 at 1:13 PM.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Just thought I would let you guys know, might just have been me. Found out that Google gives your credit card info the the developer of the app. Totally retarded on Goggles part if you ask me. So your card #'s are being given out to all these kids and people in foreign countries creating these apps.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
That has to be the worst idea I have ever heard. So basically someone could set up BS app and collect a few hundred CC #'s, wait a few months or years, and then go to town. Sounds completely irresponsible of Google to do this. I was under the impression that the Droid Marketplace was a third party admin, like itunes and app store for Apple.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
I thought it used Google checkout which is a protected payment method.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Hate, yes android market uses Goggle checkout but Goggle gives your card # to the company that created the app and they run your card. I know makes you wonder about Goggle security. Google security has be brought to question before. The only time I have used that card overseas was for this transaction and some time yesterday I took 2 cab rides in London, UK at $54.60 each. Amazing because I never left home here in California. It even says on your bill if you look close. Email from google.

Message from InnoWire UG (haftungsbeschränkt):
The application will be automatically downloaded to your device.

Your order is complete. Have questions? Contact InnoWire UG (haftungsbeschränkt).
Jul 31
InnoWire UG (haftungsbeschränkt) charged your VISA xxx-6565 for €1.99. "GOOGLE *InnoWire UG" will appear on your billing statement.
Jul 30
InnoWire UG (haftungsbeschränkt) received your order.
Jul 30
You placed an order with InnoWire UG (haftungsbeschränkt) on Jul 30. Google Checkout sent a copy of this receipt to *&@^#%%#&*@gmail.com
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-04-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
hmm, thats a bit sketch for sure. I wonder what recourse you might have now.

A side not I downloaded and manually installed FROYO today. Its sick and blazing fast now.
Old     (shmelks)      Join Date: May 2010       08-04-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Brandon,

I think you are wrong about the Sellers of apps getting full credit card numbers. Checkout the link below. You may want to look into who else may have your credit card number.

https://checkout.google.com/support/...y?answer=39332
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-04-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Brandon sorry to hear about your troubles.

Back tot he app. I was wondering if any EVO users have updated to Froyo and had better luck with the app. I did some messing around and it seems the app works as long as your not doing anything else on your phone, i.e. playing music. Which of course defeats the purpose of the app.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
J- I have been working with the developer who has been very responsive. I have it working on my evo ( running froyo) and the only complaint I have at the moment is the lag time in volume up and down. unfortunatly the developer cant control how fast the gps downloads. the one thing I have learned with the evo is that you have to turn the app. on then start your music. works like a champ at that point.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-04-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
Works great with FROYO, very responsive.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-04-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Awesome "whocares" I couldn't get tp work very well if at all on the old OS. Glad to here it is working on FROYO.