Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-09-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
I found this online, looks like a good deal, even shows a cool way to install it.
http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/kit.htm
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-10-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
Would be weary of that particular isolator. you'll proabbly see a voltage drop. Not 100% sure but is a definate possibility. Best to call before you buy.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on August 10, 2006)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-10-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Hmmmm.... looks kind of wimpy to me. It is not a bad package and price if you are not running a high power amp, but if you have a typical wakeboard boat stereo install I would recommend something a little beefier.

First off, the battery box supplied is for a group 24 size battery. If you have the space you should use the larger group 27 series.

8 AWG wire???? I don't recommend that. I ran 2 AWG from the battery to a distribution block and then 4 awg to each amp. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 6 awg no matter how small the amps were.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
I agree with Rod on the wiring size, you may get voltage drops that will effect the system performance or overheat the wiring. I got nice marine grade wire from this guy:

http://www.genuinedealz.com
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-10-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
I got good wire from genuine dealz as well and will go there for my next wiring needs.

I also agree that you need larger guage wire for that.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-10-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, I contacted them and it is a misprint, supposed to be 4 awg, for a 20' run
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
I think $268 is a rip off for that. You can get a 200 amp isolator and all the wiring and do it yourself for under $100.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-15-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
David wrote:
"I think $268 is a rip off for that. You can get a 200 amp isolator and all the wiring and do it yourself for under $100."

I would like to know where you buy your wire! If you bought all that stuff from West Marine you would spend well over $300, and my best guess using Ebay and my other less expensive sources it would cost at least $230.

The only thing I don't like about the kit is that it only provided 5 feet of black battery 4 AWG wire. It would take a lot more than that to complete the job.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-15-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
If you want an isolator/combiner there is only one......Hellroaring! www.hellroaring.com No voltage drop. Best on the market. Tried and true!!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-15-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Well a friend bought this kit last week and I helped him install it and actually it came with 50’ of black wire, It seemed easy enough to install, he bought a yellow top optima battery for it, all in all its not to bad, works great, no voltage drop, didn’t run the battery down the whole time out on the island, so I might give it a try also. One thing though he had a 65 amp alternator I think mine is higher than the 95 that is advertised, I will have to check it out and if so find out how much more $ will be needed for a higher amp Isolator. I will try to get some pics of the install later.