Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-02-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys.
Was watching Higher Education today, and saw Shapiro landing his speedball (double HS front flip). Similiar to Parks' Double Half Cab roll, only better).

Got me thinking. I've only ever seen Darrin throw this trick. Does anyone else throw it?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
I think that's a big negative li'l buddy.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
at the Double or Nothing Double-up Contest he was trying triples. Absolutely ridiculous. And he was actually getting the board underneath him.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-02-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Here's his triple from the Red Bull DU contest.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
i think jonathan nadolski does on in the the obrien team video overdue. im pretty sure it was a double front
Old    murrayair            03-02-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
"Similiar to Parks' Double Half Cab roll, only better."

Umm...no.

I think I saw Murray do one a few years ago, but I could be wrong.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
i did see jonathon nadolski do one on film...i think thats really crappy though. He learned from darin, he shouldn't do all the same tricks though. Jonathon rides just like darin and its just unoriginal. This has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like darin shapiro's style
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
with all due respect to shapiro, how could his speedball be better than parks' double halfcab roll?

speedball = double hs front flip
double halfcab roll = double SWITCH backroll to REVERT (back to his regular stance, actually)

could it be that you think the speedball's better 'cause you don't see it as much, and that you're sick of parks' double halfcab roll?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
you do have to admit that Parks' double hs mobe was really impressive. He does a half cab roll for the first flip and roll to blind on the second flip. All done off the double up. I think the video is on wakeboarder.com somewhere.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
leo, not to disrespect, but a halfcab roll requires a frontside 180. a roll to blind requires a backside 180.

a double hs mobe is a double backroll w/ a frontside 360.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
You can't really say either trick is "better." They are just different tricks.

And no disrespect to you Joe. I know you are just repeating what many others have said, but anyone that says they are sick of Parks double half cab, or it is "played out" needs to get their head out of their a$$. It's still a double, whether he's done it 1 time or 100 times. It deserves respect and recognition. It's just plain sick!

Now my opinion: Shapiro's speedball looks tighter, cleaner, and more controlled. The double half cab just doesn't look as clean to me.

I've seen Sharpe throw a couple of TS double backs in videos. Does anyone know if he has landed it?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
jrod, i never said the trick sucks, nor did i say the trick is played out. it's an absolute sick and insane trick! i'm just sick of seeing it and his same run at every tournament. i'd much rather see someone throw some stylish 3 or 5, a poked out trick, anything grabbed to show style, than see the double halfcab roll.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
I hear ya Joe. I've just seen it posted many times on the board and suddenly felt the need to lash out . It wasn't meant as a direct reponse to your comment. No offense to you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
no offense taken, jrod! in fact, bug gives me crap all the time for being sick of seeing parks' double halfcab roll!
Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-02-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
Brett Eisenhauer is also throwing double half cabs in competition, never saw him land one, but he came pretty close at Kelowna last year, and one other stop, might have been Nat's. A triple is absolutley nuts. I cant wait to see what happens at this years DU or nothing comp.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
I'm with Joe. Every tourney for the pasty few years Parks has thrown the double half cab. Switch it up a bit. I think a stylie grab to blind is more impressive.. Now to some toolshed off the street, the double half cab is super neat...kinda like that superman thing.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-02-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
Hey guys, J-Rod said it best when he said he thought the speedball looks cleaner. I totally agree with that.

Joe, you're right too. It could be that it's because I just don't see it as much as the double half cab. It could also be that for me, a front flip seems so unnatural (nevermind 2 of them), where a roll is much easier to visualize. But you're right, setting up switch is definately more difficult. Although I don't know of anyone else who rides switch as well as Parks'. I doubt there's a difference to him. The guy's a freak.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinions I guess. To each his own.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-02-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
ummm both tricks r frickin awesome, i mean a double flip, any double flip is crazy
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
sorry joe, i should have been more descriptive. The first flip would be a half cab roll (switch backroll 180, which would mean he would land regular. The second flip would be a regular ts backroll blind 180 (the blind 180 would be a continuation of the first fs 180). This is probably really confusing but it works in my head...its like explaining a pete rose, a pete rose is a ts backroll with a fs 180 (roll to revert) and then a switch bs 180. The 2 180s equal a 360 thus completing the mobe. I probably confused the hell out of everyone, just go watch the video in slow motion.
Old    murrayair            03-02-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
There's a vid of Parks doing his double mobe? I was under the impression that it had yet to be filmed. Or do you mean the vid of the pete rose?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-03-2005, 12:45 AM Reply   
Shameless Plug.... The Parks Double Half Cab Roll Video http://www.dpcfilms.com/VideoPlayer.asp?i=107
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 3:47 AM Reply   
Trivia question:

What is a slowball and who performed it in response the to speedball?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-03-2005, 6:46 AM Reply   
You think a stylie grab to blind 180 is more "impressive" than a double flip? Certainly not from a skill level or technical stand point. I think you're saying it just to say it.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
Trivia Answer:

A slowball is lame and Jeremy Kovak performed it...

Oh yeah, and I'll tell you now I personally would prefer to watch a Randy Harris Method/Stale to blind 1000 times more than a double flip.

(Message edited by pyrosmurf on March 03, 2005)
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-03-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
If a quarterback knows he can get a touchdown doing the exact same play over and over shouldn't he? If the opposing team decides to get better and learns how to stop that play, then the quarterback will have to change things.

Same thing with Parks. If he can still win it with the double half cab roll, might as well keep doing it till the competition learns how to beat it, or unless the rules change to make it less valuable in the overall score.

Videos and exhibitions and other places are where he can diversify his trick list.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-03-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
Very well put Gerald.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
The slowball was a dive to late front flip.

Speaking of trivia, anyone remember "The Slurpee" aka "The Cock'n'Balls" and who did it first??

Later,
jjakober
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
I think the double front is more difficult, personally. First, Shapiro has been throwing that trick for like 6 years now and I've not heard of anyone else doing it until now (Nadolski rides with Shapiro so I wouldn't be surprised if he was learning them). Second, physically it's a harder trick because you have to throw your momentum forward off the wake rather than cutting through it like on a half cab roll. The guy is built like a lead sinker so he does have an advantage.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       03-03-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
I beleive Zane was the first guy throwing Slurpees, or am I thinking of "The Blender" move?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
Yup, Zane was the guy doing the Slurpee. The Blender goes way back and that was Eric Parez aka The Fly'n Hawaiian!!

jjakober
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
I know Nadolski does a double back in the O'Brien video OVERDUE. I don't think he does a double front though.

jjakober
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-03-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
ha ha I love it how people just keep on talking shjt about who's the top dogg. Next Andrew will win a couple and every one will say "the Transcend sucks, it's over rated bla bla bla. Everyone needs to get of there trip and give the man the credit that is due. When you can pull a trick out of your a$$ like a double half cab roll, then say something. Until then your all just HATERS!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
i believe it was dean lavelle that did the slurpee first.

bug, let me ask you...where do you see people not giving credit to parks stickin' the double halfcab roll? laugh all you want...it's not talkin' "shjt" when people like me are simply sick of seeing the trick. (notice, in that sentence, i'm not, not giving credit where credit is due)

and please, stop using the word "haters"...from what i understand, you're outta high school.

bahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-03-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
Sorry Joe but it was in fact Zane who did the Slurpee first. He was on the cover of WMB somewhere around 96 or 97 on his old Connelly t2 board. Dean Lavelle did the trick fairly regularly but Zane invented it. How about this one...who invented the Big Worm?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
wasnt the big worm invented by Brannon(sp?) Johnson??
Old    slideit            03-03-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
your all wrong on slurpee
brisco showed the boys first
worm was johnson
who was the first to do heelside 7?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
hmm Heel seven im sure it was a spinner.. i remember there was talk it might have been murray but i would have guessed Collin wright???...

you might be right on Brisco although ive alwys thought it was Zane..

i do know Zane invemnted the Wrecking Ball which was similar to the slurpee with the weird wrap coming into the wake..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
hmm Heel seven im sure it was a spinner.. i remember there was talk it might have been murray but i would have guessed Collin wright???...

you might be right on Brisco although ive alwys thought it was Zane..

i do know Zane invemnted the Wrecking Ball which was similar to the slurpee with the weird wrap coming into the wake..
Old    vcamper            03-03-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Ive watched Higher Education over and over but never have been able to find the speedball footage. It says it has it on some insert in the dvd case but HOW THE HELL DO I GET TO IT!

Forgive me for I am technologically retarded.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
I thought it was Todd Brendel who did the first big worm?

jjakober
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-04-2005, 1:48 AM Reply   
Brett, watch the footage teaching the HS Front Flip. After Charlie teaches that trick, they show some footage with variations of the trick. One of the last variations of the trick is the Speedball.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
I thought it was Brendel as well who invented the big worm..

HS 7, i have no idea who did it first..
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-04-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Joe ~ How come people don't get tired of seeing a BS 180 all grabbed out. Cause every one can do it and everyone puts there own style into it and makes is sick. Now why is everyone (well people like you) tried of seeing Parks do the double halfcab roll? Cause he is the only one doing it? I don't think so... So enlighten me and tell me why.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
it has nothing to do w/ the fact that parks is the only one that can do double halfcab rolls. fact is, you know exactly what he's going to do in his tournament run as well as his doubleup; switch hs front to fakie (don't get excited...a lot of riders can't do regular hs fronts...they can only do them switch), oa5, s-bend, pete rose, and of course, double halfcab roll off the doubleup.

it's similar to a few years ago, when shapiro was dominating the tour. after his run, which was predictable to begin with, he would throw a trick that EVERYONE knew he was going to throw...a speedball. after a while, shapiro learned that people/judges were sick of seeing the same trick off the doubleup time after time.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-04-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
There was one other rider who landed a speedball back in the day, albeit with witnesses in the boat but no film proof. Doug Homan made a few, I believe about three, back on his home lake in Tampa. Doug had an edging style that was effective in sticking the speedball- he took a slightly shorter approach and would edge hard at the wake, giving the initial boot and lift.
This being said, it's a testiment to the difficulty of the move when the Speedball's been around for almost eight years and Shapiro is the only person to truly own it. It's also reflective of what a phoenomenal athlete Darin is. Same with Parks and the double half cab roll, which Daniel Watkins and Ike have both hit freeriding. But again, no on is doing it with consistency but Parks is complete money on the move. And now he's been making the double back mobe, breaking new ground again.

And Geoff Hinds made a strong statement in his anticipation of Park's Double Or Nothing contest this year. I think wakeworld.com is gonna have to part with $1080 after that one!
A question for Dave: Does the Double Or Nothing contest count as a sactioned event in which the wakeworld.com $1080 bounty is doubled?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-04-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
Why would he change it up Joe? Read Gerald's post again.

Can you picture Parks saying: "I know I can win this contest if I stomp my double because it gets more points, but F-it, I'm going to blow the contest and go for something different because that's want the fans want. Screw the contest"

Yeah right.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
that's just it, jrod. he wasn't winning everything. he didn't change up his run, which is the reason why he didn't win every single event in '04, even though he stomped every trick.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-04-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
I agree with you Joe if every run is as you say, but we are talking about the Double halfcab roll. As J-rod said why would he not through it. Better yet what move that Parks does would you rather see off the Double up?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-04-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
I say double the bounty if it happens at the DU contest. It's taken this long and it's only a couple grand. But first, you need to go work the marketing angle a little more DW.

Furthermore, to assist in this effort I'll gladly bring my boat as a chaser - it's rockin' a couple WW stickers. ha
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
bug, how 'bout a hs9? not too many people stick them in tourneys. how 'bout a whirly7? how many of those have you seen in tourneys?
Old    jzwake            03-04-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
Sure, double front flips, double rolls and double cab rolls get old to us but the tricks are super difficult. Why should Parks, Darin, Ike, or watkins stop doing them if they are one of the best scoring tricks in a contet? The goal is to win, right.

Just becuase a guy has a super hard trick dialed to the point it looks stock doesn't make the trick any easier to preform.

My first invert was a tantrum in 1996. I have throw it ever single set since then at least once. Unless I hit some monster progression streak and learn so many new moves that I can't fit a straight tantrum in my set, I'll keep poping it.

My opinion is a double front flip is harder then a double cab roll. Who cares if you do a 180? a roll to revert is more natural to most then a straight roll, thus easier to complete for them.

When parks stuck the 1080 he did it switch but no one said "parks just passed over the 1080 to a switch 1080". Parks just hit the wake the way he felt more comfortable.

(Message edited by jzwake on March 04, 2005)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Good work on the Todd Brendel inventing the Big Worm. Brannon Johnson wasn't even sponsored when Brendel invented it. Todd Brendel - RIP

Oh yeah, first Heelside 7 was I believe Mr Scott Byerly.

(Message edited by stephan on March 04, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
yes Todd Brendel- "Skurf's Up". And sorry I didn't read all of the posts but I don't like either of the double flips. I see this issue going the way snowboarding has. A few years ago there were a couple guys throwing double back and fronts in contests. Now all you see is spins. I would much rather see the progression of wakeboarding go the same way. I'll personally take a 1080 over any double or even triple flip. Soon enough though.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-04-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
JZ ~ I agree 100%

Scott ~ I think everyone would rather see a 1080 cause noone is doing it.
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-06-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
"Cory Pickos was doing handle pass 720's off the wake in the early to mid 90's. Scott Byerly was the first notable wakeboarder to start doing 7s."
Old    slideit            03-06-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
cory is right/judges didn't like it said it was to much like trick sking, good thing danny,tino,colin didn't listen!
how about
hs/fs mobe5
switch hs/fs mobe5
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Jeff Heer made a bunch of heelside switch mobe 5's. There's video of it somewhere out there.

Wada tah
Old    slideit            03-06-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
jb is the winner on switch
who was the first regular?
jb been hanging in the slot lately?
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-07-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
Mark Kenney nailed a regular mobe 5 I believe. There was talk about an air mobe 5 from him as well. Not sure.
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-07-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
First C*ck and balls was Zane.
First wrecking ball was Matt Hickman. If you know Matt, you will know why it's called that. Matt's now the ed for WBMag.

Anyone know first Moby 5 in comp?
Old    slideit            03-07-2005, 7:56 AM Reply   
moby 5 handle pass? danny? brannan was doing them way back but not sure if he did it in a comp
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
Gator was doing sevens way back when also (before skurf's up). I was actually under the impression that gator was the first to do a seven. If you read his interview from the october 1995 issue of wbm, they ask him "what's the raddst trick you've done this year? and his response was "I've got a few. Indy tantrum to fakie and crail 720."

I think that crail 7 was supposed to be a trick tip for the last issue of 1996, but then they put zane's slurpee in instead of the 7...what an interesting direction wakeboarding took...

And if we want to get gnarly, pat mcelhenny (sp) was the first to do a blender, but eric perez gets the credit.

As for one of the mobe fives, I can't remember if it was switch or regular (I think it was regular) but jeremy kovak has a mobe five sequence in the april 1997 issue of wbm, so if you can get your hands on it...you can see byerly's pete rose sequence too:-) I was just thinking, and one might be able to see some mobe five action in the movie fluid (kovak) and maybe daily dose (heer). Each of those guys may have done one in a comp, but I can't remember anymore.

And I think everyone should listen to jeff barton.

So tell me now, who's feathers are the brightest...

(Message edited by electricsnow on March 07, 2005)