Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-12-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I just got an Iphone and one of the first apps I got was Adaptune for the speed base volume control. What do you have your sliders set at for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       11-12-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Blair, I use mine on the road biking setting. I set the upper slider as high as it will go and then adjust the max volume on the stereo to be what I want it to be when we are at speed. Then for the lower levels I have it set to pretty much mute the music. Its kind of a both end of the extremes deal, but the Road Biking setting seems to be the best to wakeboard with.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-13-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks man I used this moring and it worked great. It took me awhile to realized I had to set the low volume setting when the boat was stopped. Best .99 cents I spent in awhile.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Got the app and it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Make sure your GPS location is on, Then I went to the road bike setting like flatetire said. Once Your moving and your looking at the profile screen make sure the slider under the speed is slid all the way up. Then turn your volume on your boat up to what you want while your moving, Then what I did is once you slow down to pick up a ride I used the volume button on the side you my phone to turn it down to the level I wanted while we where stopped. That set the low end for me and left the other arrow turned up for when your moving.

I hope that made since not I'm not the best writer.
Old     (nemire12)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-20-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Three years later, any updates from anyone on this? I use an old HTC Rezound just for controling the tunes in my boat. I found a free app called Smart Volume Lite that I've been playing around with in my truck, adjusting the settings to simulate boarding and surfing. It doesn't appear to save any settings after closing and re-opening the app. There is also a 2-3 second lag from when I reach the said speed and the actual adjustment. Not big deals, other than that it appears this will work pretty good on the water....for free! But I'd certainly pay a few bucks for a better app that would resolve these issues....
Old     (nemire12)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-20-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
I also have an iphone 5 with a similar free app called Audio Cruise and it appears to have the same issues although I haven't played with it much. I'd prefer to use my Rezound but if there's an iphone app that is siginificantly better then I could switch it up...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-20-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
unfortunately I think audiocruise is all that's available for the iphone now that adaptunes has bit the dust.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-20-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
Does the audio cruise app work over the ipod cable or only over the headphone out port?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-20-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
headphones or bluetooth only. There is no volume control through the dock connector.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-20-2013, 3:42 PM Reply   
Lou....Ben might have an HSE....want me to check?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-20-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
headphones or bluetooth only. There is no volume control through the dock connector.
Also won't do volume control through Lightning connector either.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
Jeff - YES!!!!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-27-2013, 3:05 AM Reply   
What is an HSE?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-27-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
HSE was a volume controler. It tied into your tach and automaticaly lowered your volume when the engine went below a set rpm. Then went back up to a set volume when the set rpm was exceeded.
Some ppl said they were too expensive, I think those ppl never used one...lol
I love mine and it sucks HSE quit making them because I know a lot of folks still want them. Some ppl pull them off their old boats to put on the new boat.

And sorry Lou its gone......
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-01-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemire12 View Post
Three years later, any updates from anyone on this? I use an old HTC Rezound just for controling the tunes in my boat. I found a free app called Smart Volume Lite that I've been playing around with in my truck, adjusting the settings to simulate boarding and surfing. It doesn't appear to save any settings after closing and re-opening the app. There is also a 2-3 second lag from when I reach the said speed and the actual adjustment. Not big deals, other than that it appears this will work pretty good on the water....for free! But I'd certainly pay a few bucks for a better app that would resolve these issues....
I tried a few android volume control apps and they all had problems. They were either missing features or would not run reliably. I decided to write my own. It's still a work in progress, but it seems to work. I've only tested it on my galaxy s3, but I think I set it up so it will work on devices running older versions of android. It's pretty basic. You enter a speed for volume control to start at, a speed for it to end at, a min volume and a max volume then hit start. The app pulls the speed from the gps and linearly adjusts the volume from the min to the max. You can save your settings, and it will automatically load them when you restart. I've been meaning to put it in the google play store, but haven't had the time to create the icons for it. For now it's up in my dropbox folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxm5nrenclfw48r/GPSVolume.apk
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-01-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
You can get a volume controller at www.wakeblaster.com

This guys on the team talk forum and a number of the MC guys have great success with it.

Zacharoo
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-01-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
I got cycleworks app off of itunes but i don't like it
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-15-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
I've been talking to the Ride My Wake developers. What they are testing with their upcoming update is a music player where you adjust your volume (using the iPhone volume buttons) to the level you want when at full speed. Then, when you switch on "Auto Volume" the volume will drop down to 25% anytime your speed is 4mph below your "target speed". Approach your target speed again, and the volume goes to 100%

Apparently, this fits within Apple's constraints with what they allow in the AppStore these days. They think boaters will enjoy a simpler approach (click and go), rather than having to fiddle with a whole bunch of configuration settings. I'm wondering if others agree?
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-27-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
The guys at Ride My Wake! certainly listen to feedback. They just released a 2.0 version of their iPhone app which automatically turns down the volume based on speed.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-27-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
i dont know if its on apple but droid has a great one called media volume control for free
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-27-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
would that volume control work with USB interfaced devices or just AUX? Does it work with Spotify or just the built in music player?
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-27-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
I have used Ride My Wake! over bluetooth, aux, and Air Play. I've never tried it with USB, but would assume that works. It plays music within it's own built in app.

It doesn't have multiple volume settings for all different speeds. You have create profiles with target speeds and if you drop below 4mph under the target speed of your currently loaded profile, the volume decreases to a specified percentage of your volume setting.

I mainly use Ride My Wake! for the GPS speedometer; this is a great feature though.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
I contacted Ride My Wake today and they responded that the app cannot change the volume of other apps (e.g., Spotify). It can only change the volume of music played within the app using it's built-in player, which only has access to your itunes library. Besides not being able to use Spotify, it looks like a great app for the volume adjustment and the GPS speed use.

Last edited by wakeborder5; 06-27-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-28-2014, 6:56 AM Reply   
They have been extremely responsive to my feedback. They want to start adding a social aspect to the app (song rankings and board rating), but said if it seems people want other music sources supported, like iTunes Radio and Spotify, the will work on that.

One thing is for sure, they are an enthusiastic bunch.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-28-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
25% isn't enough of a reduction. Need like 75% at least to be able to communicate with the rider on pick up
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
FYI, I have just recently been asked to join the Ride My Wake! team as a marketing consultant, so I won't be posting opinions here anymore due to conflict of interest. That said, the reduction is completely configurable in the latest version (between 0%-50% of the system volume setting).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-01-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
I would like to see other music sources supported. Social aspect is meh, for me.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, Tom. The team is looking at the Spotify toolkit. Do you stream music while out on the boat? I'm wondering if data plan overage is a concern
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Spotify downloads your play list directly to your phone. So you can play your list with out using all your data.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-01-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
i have a lot saved locally, but I'm actually still on unlimited data and I have LTE coverage on the lake. So I play whatever I want!
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Excellent, thank you! Music and Boarding go hand in hand, so this seems like a good direction for the app to go from here.

Last edited by JArthurSquid; 07-01-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-01-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
App purchased. Looking forward to enhancements on music players.

Thanks J
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
Spotify code is being written as we speak. Enjoy the app and let us know if you have any other feedback. The highest possible quality is the goal.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-01-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
seriously MEDIA VOLUME CONTROL. hands down the best for boarding.... dont know how well it will work surfing if you go under 10MPH.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
The way Ride My Wake! works with media volume control (when you switch it on), is if you go 4mph below the target speed of your currently loaded profile (i.e. you can have a profile for surfing and boarding or each person), the volume will drop to your set percentage of the system volume (defaults to 10%).

So, if you load a wakesurfing profile, with a target speed of 10 MPH, it will play at full volume until you go below 6 MPH, then the volume will drop to 10% (or whatever you configure...can also make it mute it with 0%)

This was the most popular from our testing, so that's what made it into the app. Our testers did NOT like it when the volume decreased gradually as you slowed down -- they wanted it either full when riding or soft when slowed down/stopped.

Note: If you don't have a profile loaded, by default the volume goes to the quiet level at less than 6mph.

Last edited by JArthurSquid; 07-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-01-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
seriously MEDIA VOLUME CONTROL. hands down the best for boarding.... dont know how well it will work surfing if you go under 10MPH.
It's android only. And more than likely, it'll stay that way. Android is more open, meaning that they allow apps to control volume more liberally than iOS does. iOS likely doesn't allow apps to change system volume levels, whereas Android does. If Ride My Wake! wanted, they could probably make this a much more straightforward implementation on Android for that reason. So it's unlikely that you'll see a 1-to-1 port of that app to iOS.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
That is true, Apple only lets the app set the volume to a percentage of the current system volume of the phone. This does seem to still work well for us since the user can set that percentage amount.

Ride My Wake! has the intention to port to Android, however the mission is the highest possible quality app, and so it is necessary to be a profitable company to maintain that. Since study after study has shown that Android users are not willing to pay for apps compared to iPhone users - and that iPhone development is much more profitable, that is where the focus has to be for now.