Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-10-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Im new to inboards, just got a used boat for the first time this year. The only thing that feels weird is the steering. At low speeds it is hard to turn the wheel, but at faster speeds it is a little easier, but still somewhat tough to turn the wheel.

Does the steering linkage need greasing? or is inboard steering like this.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-10-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
you might want to look into having the steering cable replaced. i have done it with the help of a friend before so i didnt have to pay a shop to do it. took a little bit of work but got it done. you want to replace it sooner than later becuase you dont want to be in a situation where your in a close area and have the cable snap on you and loose the ability to steer at all.
Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-10-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
if you do it yourself do not forget to tie a rope to the old steering cable before you pull it out!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
Some rudder boxes (if that is what you call it) have a Zerk fitting for grease. From what I know this is usually not the causes of tight steering, but it would be worth a try first. It is usually the steering cable. If the boat hasn't been used for a while, I have had steering cables to loosen up as the boat was used more and more. How old is the boat?
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-10-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
its a 1995 with 450hrs on it.

Its a Sea Ray Ski Ray. How do I find out what type of cable I need? Do I need to look under the dash and see what setup I have, since I can't find any info online about it.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
I would either contact Sea Ray's tech department, or you can contact skidim.com tech department. I have yet to stump those guys with a tech question and they will probably have a pretty good deal on the part you need.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
Ours got to the point you needed 2 hands to turn the wheel, $125 bucks and a new steering cable better it will turn with 1 finger.... so at worst its not a really pricey fix
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
If you are asking if its too stiff, its time for a new cable
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-11-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I am just going to buy a new cable, I have emailed both skidim and sea ray, hope to here back.
Old    K.B.C.            05-11-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I just replaced mine yesterday. It's a bit of a job, but I saved about $500. Two shops quoted me 5 hours of labor. It was worth doing it myself
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-11-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Was there a guide you followed to install it?

I can't seem to find a Sea Ray Technical manual per say. I have a Mercruiser Manual but of course it doesn't cover any of the steering since its part of the boat and not engine/drivetrain.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
I just installed one in a friends boat, it was a teleflex rack and pinion system. The cable had the part number stamped on it. I removed the cable and then ordered the new one from skidim. Most i/o's have the cable running along the side of the boat verses under the floor of an inboard which makes pulling the cable easier.

The teleflex cable came with instructions.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
How does the floor usually come up? Is it visible with screws, or are they hidden in places.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
the floor has screws in it that are hard to see in the carpet. Pull the cable lose from the wheel and the ruder and see if both move freely with out the cable on them. When replacing the cable spend the extra cash on the service fittng for the cable end. Most people over look this step when servicing a inboard to grese the cable end. What happens is your packing starts to leak and you get water in the hull. Upon acceleration your steering cable gets submerged and water makes its way up the cable.
At least make sure your rubber gromet at the cable end near the rudder is tie straped on so it dosent walk off the cable and water gets in the housing.
The wheel should have little resistance on it if its a good cable.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
what does the service fitting look like?