Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    sanderb            03-07-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hi all, i've seen a 1991 Supra Marauder in almost new condition for sale, but don't know a lot about this boat. It looks pretty good for wakeboarding, looks massive. Does anybody know anything about the Marauder's wake?
Here's a pic of the boat:
1991 Supra Marauder
More pics are welcome!

I've also seen a 1998 Supra Comp, something to tell about this boat's wakeboarding potential?

Thanks,
Sander
Old    zboomer            03-07-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Wierd, the shadow off the pier makes it look like the boat is about to sink, heh. At first I thought it had about 4000 lbs of ballast in it until I realized it was a shadow.

That boat looks in incredible condition for a '91, but it's hard to tell by photos.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about the Marauder, but the Comp isn't too promising as a wakeboard boat. They're nice, but it's Supra's best competition slalom boat, which means it's small (not much room for ballast), it's light in weight (so it needs more ballast), and it has VERY little freeboard (so you really can't put in much ballast anyway).
Old    powaman            03-07-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
I have to disagree with Jeff, My friend has a 1989 Supra Comp that I ride behind once in a while, in between ridin behind my boat, and I have to say it has a very nice wake. We board with 4 people, and theres one fat sack in front of the rear seat, I think around a 500 pounder, and yes the boat sits low in the water and I prolly woudn't add much more to this but with only this and 4 people the boat throws a very nice wake that definetly has enough ummph. I'm not an expert like he is, I can only do like grabs, and starting one eighties but he is very good, and can do like flips n either way the wake is big enough for either of us, and should be plenty of wake for anyone. Of course it is a closed bow and with the fat sack there is not a whole lot of room to move around in the boat but if you have a tower like he does for boards and stuff you should be just fine
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   
That's good to hear. The only one I've seen around here that's used for boarding didn't seem to have too impressive a wake, but I never rode behind it.

Still, I'd be concerned about the freeboard with 500# and four people if it were mine.
Old    powaman            03-07-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Ya the boat was lower in the water but never low enough to give you anything to worry about. If your bilge pump works, your fine. If there were huge waves or something then I'd worry but would wakeboard in that.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
Sander,
According to my Supra owners manual the Marauder is the closed bow version of the Sunsport (shared hull specifications in the book). I have a '92 Sunsport that is very similar with a tower and ballast system and it throws a very nice wake with about 800-1200 pounds on board. The Comp Travis and Jeff are discussing is a completely different hull very small and shallow in comparison. The Marauder (like my sunsport) has very high sides and can be loaded with 1000# of ballast plus people without being dangerous if operated properly. I have had great luck with my '92. I don't think these boats were great slalom boats back in their day (The Comp was the slalom boat), they were much more family multi-sport boats than the Comp series. Put some weight in them and a tower or extended pylon and you have a decent wakeboard boat for 1/4 the price of new! send me an e-mail if you want any more info from my owners manual.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
I have always wanted to take a 1990ish Inboard/v-drive with a deep hull and add a tower and ballast. The deeper the hull is, the more ballast to add (3000lbs possibly?). The only problem is if the 1990ish engine can handle the weight.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-07-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
I think some of the Maruaders came with the big block 454 which would be plenty for the weight, just the gas is the only thing to kill you.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-07-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
From what i know it has a hull very similar to the 21 ssv
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2005, 3:29 AM Reply   
no not similar to the ssv.... closer to the launch
Old    sanderb            03-08-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
Tnx for the info all! Concerning the Supra Comp, i'm talking about the 1998 model with the new hull, from what i've seen it's similar to the hull of the current model.
Pic:
Supra Comp '04

It looks like this hull is higher at the back than the original 198?-1997 hull. I don't want to fill the boat up with lead and fatsacks anyway, maybe a little ballast in the back, but that's about it. My lake too shallow for lots of ballast.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       03-08-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
I doubt you find a Marauder with the 454 in it but from my own experience the 5.8L HO (285hp) has more than enough juice to lug lots of ballast and people all day long. Slap on the '99 launch tower, some racks, and an auto ballast system and you've got yourself a poor mans Launch.