Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bunji69)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-24-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
Hopefully Tim from Wetsounds will respond to this, but if anyone else has this setup, any input is appreciated. I ordered the new 2013 Wakesetter with the G3 Tower and the Z5 Cargo/Bimini. While I'm patiently waiting for my boat to be built, I've purchased 2 sets of Wetsounds Rev8's and the Wetsounds G3 Tower Brackets. Looking at pictures of the Z5 Rack, It looks like the Wetsounds Brackets would be installed in the same place as the Z5 Rack Bracket. Hase anyone figured out a woraround??

Attached Images

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
I just had some REV 10s installed with the double brackets on my vlx on a G3, from the pics it looks like they will definitely interfere with the Z5 mounts. Not that it cant be modified by the installer.

One thing on the Z5, I had a Z5 with one of my boats for a couple seasons, they hold gear which is really nice but there were some definite con's to having them. First, I could not walk under it without ducking everytime or I would hit my head on it (I am 6'1"). You cant ever take it down on the water quickly, if you do, its a contraption to put it back up and you have a skeleton frame showing. They are difficult to store, and a wind sail when towing. And they are very expensive, $3k on a G3 I heard???

Some folks are now installing surf pockets on there bimini, which is so much cheaper and allows you to stow surfboards and collapse the bimini when you want open sun in the boat. The G3 also allows the quad board racks to hold extra gear. I know Samson is making some nice swivel surf racks for the G3 for probably half the cost of the Z5.

Just something to consider...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Those were all the reasons I wouldn't get one either, until I saw the one on the 24 MXZ at our dealer. It's set up so the the insides zip out and roll up like a normal bimini taking out the whole sail thing and allowing you to get sun when you want it. It also has a pad on the bar so even if you hit your head it doesn't hurt.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-25-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
Yes, our mount and the Z5 adapter will not work together right now. However we are good friends with the guys at Z5. So after we found this out. Wet Sounds and Z5 are working on a solution. We will have either one part that is our adapter and their mount all in one or we are going to make modifications to our mount and they will make modifications to theirs so they work together

I will get with Z5 and find out where we stand on this and let you know what type of time frame. I am working hard to get this done ASAP

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-25-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
I did not get the Z5 for all of the same reasons stated above. As far as storage goes I just got a samnson wake/surf/wake rack and a wake/surf rack for 1300.00 So that is three wakeboards and two surfboards. They have lots of configurations and make a great product. They are swivel as well.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
After looking at those pictures, imo, the Z5 on a G3 just looks awkward and out of place. It looks small and appears to not provide good shade coverage. For the cost of them, I would go with other alternatives.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-25-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Just spoke with Z5 and we tested some options. All you have to do is move the Z5 mount to the outside of the tower and use longer bolts with a button head allen. And it bolts right up to the Wet Sounds G3 adapter and done! Looks great and super easy. We are still looking at making the all in one but I think this solution works as is and looks good so might be all that is needed

I will get pictures up soon.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (bunji69)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-25-2013, 9:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input. It looks like the only fix is to mount the Z5 brackets on the outside of the tower and use longer bolts as to not interfere with the Wetsounds adapter plate. The only issue with that is that I ordered two sets of racks for the tower, so I couldn't mount the Z5 brackets on the outside of the tower without eliminating the second set of board racks. That's not an option for me since we always run out of space for boards. Thus the reason for going with the Z5 for added board storage. I think the only real solution is to make a combo bracket for the Wetsounds and the Z5 to work together. If the Wetsounds bracket had the Z5 mount moulded into it, it would solve all issues. I think from a manufacture standpoint, it should fall more on the side of the company that makes the Z5 to make the brackets. If someone is paying $3-$4k for a Bimini/Rack, they are most likely paying for the best speakers available as well (Wetsounds).

Thanks again for the input. My boat is still on order. I have 4-5 more super long weeks of waiting for it to be built. When it finally comes in, hopefully I will have a solution. I will post a follow up.