Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-29-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
Wow, I won't be visitig Orlando anytime soon http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Orland...&asset=&ccode=
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       04-29-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
Wow, I won't be visitig Orlando anytime soon http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Orland...&asset=&ccode=
Wow what a mess,. and the Prez says that there isn't much he can do about the gas prices.

And some here say politics has no room in a wakeboarding forum,...hmmmm,.. strange.

"Aint gonna be much wakeboarding if th!s crap keeps up"

Thanks for that post Ron,
Best regards,
The WakeBoardGeezer
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-29-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
They've been doing this for a long time. It's one of several gas stations around the airport trying to extract cash from people with rental cars at the end of their trip. They were doing it when gas prices were low as well. It has nothing to do with the recent spike in prices.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-03-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
I think its hilarious that the fine for not having a sign up is $250 per day. Meanwhile, assuming they sell 10,000 gallons of fuel per day, they are raking in $19,000 a day more than they would at national average prices. Even at 2500 gallons per day, thats a windfall of $4,775. I dont think the fine is going to bother them too much

Last edited by wakecumberland; 05-03-2011 at 6:52 AM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-03-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
I can't believe people actually buy gas at those prices. It has to be marked on the pump, eh? Now I usually go to the same one or two gas stations because they hire young American kids from the local high schools and such to pump gas and do whatever else (NJ is all full serve), so I don't mind paying a little more to support American kids who actually have motivation to get a job (not that common anymore). I go 2 or more weeks between buying gas and don't really pay attention to prices but I would notice that large of an increase from two weeks ago and wonder why I hadn't heard or read about it in the news and no one at work was complaining about prices rising over $1/gal in a week.

I feel no sympathy for those who didn't check the price before buying. Things happen, be aware of what's going on around you.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-03-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
It's not that they don't see the price on the pump. It's that they are on a time table to turn in the car and catch a plane. I pulled into one when I went to the airport to pick someone up. Needless to say I skipped buying gas till later. This was a long time before the price of gas went up, but it was about double the normal price.

I really can't think of any reason why the county or city should be involved other than worrying it will affect tourists view of central florida.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
...you guys think that's outrageous???

That's the NORMAL price of premium gasoline at the pumps where I am from in central Canada. It is what is available at the marinas and boaters fill up on that continually all summer long. Even if you were to bring jerry cans of regular it's still 5.28 a gallon. You have little to complain about down there.
Old    deltahoosier            05-03-2011, 12:48 PM Reply   
Do you have to drive 30 to 50 miles one way to get to work? Gets expensive for folks.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
I put on 20000+ miles / year (roughly 30000km) if that's what you're asking.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
How much tax do you pay on gas in Canada? Could that be why it's so high there?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemetoday View Post
How much tax do you pay on gas in Canada? Could that be why it's so high there?
Exactly. Between Federal Goods and Services Tax, Provincial sales tax, and Federal Excise tax, 30% of what we pay are taxes. As opposed to 12% is taxes in the USofA
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
Thanks, that's about what I thought. Unfortunately, the oil companies' tax burden in the US is about to increase which will filter down to us consumers. What a mess. I heard a funnny oxymoron on the news--conservative Canadian politician. Soon America will be saying the same--a conservative American politician. Oh well, I wish someone would share the wealth with me.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
Just hit $6 a gallon in Hawaii!!!
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
Sorry, forgot to post the link http://wallstcheatsheet.com/economy/...his-state.html
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-04-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemetoday View Post
Just hit $6 a gallon in Hawaii!!!
I'd imagine transportation is about $1 more of that, and hawaii has some of the highest gas tax in the country.