Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-11-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
I am about to commit to buying a 2008 x-star with the mcx 350 engine. To anybody who has experience driving this boat I could use an honest review. I know I like the wake to this boat but I have no idea how it performs with that engine. Boat is too distant to test drive first. Thanks!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-11-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
I am about to commit to buying a 2008 x-star with the mcx 350 engine. To anybody who has experience driving this boat I could use an honest review. I know I like the wake to this boat but I have no idea how it performs with that engine. Boat is too distant to test drive first. Thanks!
The MCX and the LY6 have the same torque curve up to about 3500 RPMs. So if you arunning her pretty heavy, the LY6 will pull harder a little longer. I have the MCX in mine and it is fine with 3000 lbs and the stock prop.

The MCX is a work horse and you will be fine with it in my opinion. If you want to run real heavy, make SURE you have it propped right. The guys over at OJ props will do an awesome job pairing you up with a the correct prop when you tell them how much weight you intend to run.
Old    tnwakeboard            07-11-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
get the low pitch prop and you're good to go. we have a 400 lb bags in each of the rear compartments, 300 lb bags in each of the front compartments. and a 650-750 lb bag in the walkthrough by the driver (more towards the front than center). Add that to the stock ballast and throw in a good looking blonde riding shotty and id say you've got yourself a winner. as far as how it drives....well....i'd say it drives pretty well considering the size/shape of the hull and the amount of weight you'll be putting into it. we have the 350 mcx and we have no complaints. if we had the bigger engine we'd definitely be upping the weight in the back compartments but thats just un-necessary for the level of riding we are at.

keep the engine oil and transmission oil changed every 50 hours--even though most people probably do every 100. Fluids are the life of the engine and should be taken seriously. also, you'll want to take a white lithium grease gun and lube the two nipples (hehe) for the steering system. One is located on the rudder shaft and the other is on the pivot. You can also spread some white lithium grease on the steering cable. Grease everything 1x per year and that'll really help the steering stay consistent for the life of the boat. the two fittings that you'll need the grease gun for have seals that can be busted if you squirt too much in there so i'd stick with 1-2 pumps per season--max. we've got about 600 hours on our 2009 x-star and have had no issues at all. one extra tip, the fuel pump is located in a weird spot on the tank for that year and you can burn up the pump REALLY quick if you get the tank below 1/2 tank frequently. keep 'er full since it will give you a bigger wake anyway

Last edited by tnwakeboard; 07-11-2012 at 7:55 AM.
Old     (waajusshappened)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-13-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
CIE boys, care to chime in?