Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
I would like to find out, from those with experience, about the wake behind an SV216. Please give me specifics and not just opinions. I'm a semi-pro kneeboarder and kind of picky about my wake. I currently have an '02 Malibu VLX and have the potential opportunity to switch to the SV216. I know some of you think I may be crazy to go from a 'Bu to a Centurion, but this is a potential sponsorship opportunity and I need to look at all possibilities.

Here's what I'm looking for: Since us kneeboarders don't have the assistance of our legs to create pop, we need to have a wake with a lot of "peak". Rampy wakes, like the MasterCraft X-Star, X-2, etc. suck. The Nautique SANTE is about as good as it gets. The Storm Series Centurions are waay to peaky and it's like hitting a wall. My Malibu, with 2000lbs., front to rear, is an awesome wake.

If all goes as planned, I'll get to ride behind one on Thursday. I just want to know what to expect and to see if anyone has added weight to modify the wake.

Thank you ahead of time for your input.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Ok I own one and had a Cyclone C4 before that
My son kneeboards (not a pro or semi pro)and likes the Enzo 216 much beter than the Cyclone.
Make sure you get the 4 tanks and put some weight up front. If you load it with 2000lbs I think you will like it. Make sure you load it up so you can really see what it would be like. It is more of a ramp than the Storm boats. What about the Enzo 230? It would have more of a peak than the 216

This is my 216 with only 2 tanks full and no weight up front and 2 people in the boat 60' rope and I am 6'

Upload

(Message edited by krbaugh on August 27, 2007)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Where is the wake. That has got to be the smallest wake I've ever seen on a wakeboard boat.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
What ever . This is why I hate posting picture of wakes! It is bigger than it looks and the 2 tanks are only about 500 lbs plus 2 people. Like I said I would recomend the 4 tanks and weight up front.

I will be interested to see what tuneman has to say after riding a loaded 216
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Kevin I wasn't baggin on your boat, maybe it's a bad picture.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Maybe this is a better picture
same thing 2 tanks 2 people 21 mph

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
That pic is a little better. The wake just has no lip or peak to it. You have an adjustable wake plate of some sort on your boat don't you? Have you tried messing with it? If you added another 1000 lbs to that thing I'm sure it' would stand right up.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Notice what happens to the PWC rider in this sequence

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
When I ordered the boat it only had the 2 tank option I am thinking about adding the other 2 tanks and some weight up front...Right now I am just working on wake jumps so it is nice and mellow but I will wont more weight soon

You also have to remeber this is a crossover boat
it will take some weight to ge the lip

(Message edited by krbaugh on August 27, 2007)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
The last pic is much better.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-27-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
I haven't read the whole post, but is the ENZO 216 a crossover boat? I have an avalanche and I'm super pumped on it.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
That guy definetly ate it! haha
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Steve

The 216 has a flatter bottom than all the Centurions. It also has a 102 inch beam

Upload

So the wake is mellower with more of a ramp than the Avalanche etc. You will want the quad tanks or remove the tanks and put in some larger sacks. And some weight up front of course is a must.

The other huge advantage over the other Centurions is it is not near as weight sensitive
Today I had 2 people on the drivers side and one one the passenger side in my Cyclone that would have been un boardable on the passenger side. The 216 still had a great clean wake on both sides no problem

The wake will get slalom friendly at 36 mph with the trim tab down about 50%

Upload
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Steve, yes the 216 is a cross-over boat (flatter hull). And...we love our Enzo SV230 (she does have a wide waketable though). I've always been curious about how the Typhoon's wake is. Pretty much a stretched Avy. Ought to be great.

Tuneman, what kind of board do you ride. I've been thinking of upgrading one of our "stock" boards to either a Joker or Striker(?) .

(Message edited by steedracer on August 27, 2007)
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
Patrick, I ride for O'Brien and use the Rush 5150. Best board on the market, IMHO.

So, how wide is the table of the SV230? Wider than my '02 'Bu? As wide as an X2? What about steepness of the wake?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
Good question on the width

The In order of steepness the way I see it.

From the steepest

Cyclone
Lightning
Avalanche
Typhoon
Enzo 230
Enzo 240
Enzo 216
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
I always thought that the 216 had a simalar transom shape to a naut 210. Being wider it would need a lot more weight to get big. If i were to get one i'd order the two tanks in the rear (20gl each so 170lbs or so) then chuck them out and swap flyhigh 750's in since they both use 3/4" fittings. Then toss 500-750#s in the bow That would be a good start for a killer wake. I've seen some picks of Ricky G when he's riding the 216 and it looked pretty mean.

I thought the biggest down fall to centurions wake was the deep V, so i was stocked when the 216 came out with a flat wide hull and a ton of freeboard.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
PS dont waist you money on front tanks from centurion they only use two fill pumps for the entire system and a tank only weigh as much as a person. If you want ballast have someone install a custom system with a pump per bag and enough weight to actually do something. It'll probaly cost you the same in the end and will have less problems, and cost the same. Factory Ballast is a joke inless it is over 1000#.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
tuneman, Most experienced riders that ride behind my SV230 say the wake is very similar to the X-star, decent ramp, but with a good peak (that was before I tripled my rear ballast weight). It seems to be a smooth wake (not as much chop on the approach ramp as some boats have), for what that's worth. I think you'd like it. Now, Recently, I've got two 750 lb. fat sacs in each rear locker (after replacing the 200 lb. hard tanks), and the wake is huge! I need to put some weight up front though, to balance the boat out more. I also have just the 350 mag (315 hp) so I'm struggling to get out of the hole when the sacs are full. I'm thinking of short filling the sacs a bit. I wish at least I had the black scorpion engine. Carrying that much weight, I probably need to go down a size in prop, too. If you don't need to ski, I'd say go for the Enzo SV 230, or possibly the Typhoon (yet to board behind it, but it is 23' with a 100 inch beam - 2 in. narrower than any Enzo).

By the way, I ride a lot behind a friend's '02 VLX (which is now the same hull as the v-ride, right?) and the VLX table is narrower. I must say though, that with 1500 lbs of ballast, PLUS the wedge, that VLX throws out a good wake.

Centurion has really upgraded their boats from '04 onward (my $.02), and the new interiors are great. Our boat is an '04 that we got new last year, and we've had ZERO problems (forgot about the exhaust gasket, but that was on Mercruiser, not Centurion). We just crank and go! They are solid boats with thick hulls and solid construction. The snap-out carpet has really come in handy. The SV230 has tons of storage space. We put two kneeboards and a wakeboard under the passenger console, with room to spare (though you can put them on racks, too), and thats with two batteries, amps, etc. I would forego the factory hard tanks (they eat into storage too much) and just get the sacs you want. That way you can preserve some of the space. My favorite tower is the Tribal. The Evolution tower looks good, but can be cantankerous. The tribal tower is much taller and the bimini is awesome and user-friendly. I guess I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say that we've had a couple of Outlaw wakeboarders out with us and they genuinely said the wake was great! Of course, it's reputation for throwing a great surf wake is legendary. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
walove

"I always thought that the 216 had a simalar transom shape to a naut 210. Being wider it would need a lot more weight to get big. "

You are correct sir!

"If i were to get one i'd order the two tanks in the rear (20gl each so 170lbs or so) then chuck them out and swap flyhigh 750's in since they both use 3/4" fittings. Then toss 500-750#s in the bow "

That would be exactly what I would recommend!

Tuneman

I would recomend that you try the 216 loaded like walove describes and a 230 loaded the same and see which boat you like better
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
The big advantages I see with the 216

You don't always have to have that Huge wake
The wake is EASY to keep clean on both sides and is not near as sensitive to weight.
I can take the speed all the way down to 15 mph with a clean wake on both sides.
Tons of room
more freeboard
TONS of storage and room
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
hahahahahahaha everyone go back and look at the 3 pics of the wakes. you'll see the jet ski jump the wake, then ski landing adn a splash on the side of it and then the ski stoped. lol very funny
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
yeah never new that happend until I looked at the pictures later.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
FYI

The Enzos have a 400lbs front ballast option for 2008
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Kevin is that what you run in you 216. I would love to see a picture. I've seen surf pictures and the 216 makes a nice wave too. My uncle has an 01 elite v and i have 750's in the back and a integrated bow(doesnt fill all the way) and a 400# in the front. That plus a five person crew and the wake is pretty good. I ride at 80ft so to get the wake to clean up at that lenght i have to go 26-27. The speed makes the wake smaller but its pretty firm at that speed. My profile has a picture.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-29-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
anybody running the enzo sack by fligh high in a 216? Adding 1450 lbs seems like it would get the job done. Upload
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Walove

No at this point I have no need for a bigger wake.
I am doing wake to wake jumps and such I am trying to improve my jumps and the smaller wake is shall we say more forgiving.

I have filled 2 500lb fat sacs in the back and the wake got huge IT also need some weight up front but I only have 2 sacs.

What you dsecribed I believe would be ideal.

world's tallest midget (dan_lee)

I have not tried those but that looks like it would have to get the job done

If it where me and I had the money one of those on the passenger side (for surfing) and a 750 on the drivers side would be FANTASTIC
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Kevin i total agree with you, i usaly empty my rear ballast when ever with less experiance is riding. If you ever sac it out again would you mind taking a picture as i am really interested in how the wake shapes up with more weight. By the hull shape im thinking it would be the nicest shape in the centurion line. The deep v makes for a smooth ride but makes it really hard to keep the wake even and clean when towing a rider. When you add weight the problem only gets worse. I've experianced this in elite v's avy's enzo's and the typhoon. I was hoping the 216 would be closer to the legandary wakes of the Mastercraft 205v or naut 210 and most malibus due to the flater transom. If its ski's good, even better.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
1) I don't seem to have too much problem equalizing the wake behind my SV230. Move a body or two, and its perfect.

2) tuneman, did you get a chance to go out on a Centurion today? If so, which one, and what did you think?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
"1) I don't seem to have too much problem equalizing the wake behind my SV230. Move a body or two, and its perfect."

The other day my wife was sitting behind me when I was driving I said you will probablly have to move when we take off because there was only on person on the passenger side..... The cool thing the wake was just find in the Cyclone she would have had to more or the wake would have been totaly trashed.

You do trade some of that legendary Centurion rough water ride. Its not that hard to move people around but it was nice not to have to.

I will take a picture when I get braveand sac it out again

(Message edited by krbaugh on August 29, 2007)
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
Patrick, I'm hoping to get out behind a 216 tonight. One way or the other, I'll get out soon and take pics.