Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-11-2013, 11:34 PM Reply   
I'm looking to pick up a new skim-style board for this upcoming season, and many to come.

Here are the three choices I am looking at;
LF Doum Skim $350.
Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon +$579.
Inland Surfer Keenan Pro/ JW Flyboy +$700.

I've surfed a behemoth in a 5ft 4in Hyperlite Broadcast behind a Tige 21i with no ballast for the past three years. Now with a new-to-us boat in the fleet, i'll finally have the opportunity to surf behind something other than a flat, white-wash of a wake... Fun nontheless though.

I'm the kind of guy where I prefer to 'do it once, do it right'. With that said though, i'm going into my first summer on a skim-style board, so would ya'll suggest playing it safe and giving the Doum a shot with it's excellent price point for a ballin'-on-a-budget college student, or should I save my pennies and go all in on a Phase 5/Inland Surfer. Other suggestions, or alternatives are welcomed. Thanks.

For good measures, I come in at a towering 5ft 7in, and 150lbs dripping wet.

Last edited by MCObray; 03-11-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-12-2013, 4:54 AM Reply   
i have a brand new calibrated skim board for sale. 52". 500. skiim is not my style. ridin like 5 times.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-12-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
In my mind the thing to consider is each of these board are built and composed of different materials. They differ in shape and attributes of those shapes to some extent, but they are all decidedly skim boards, except the f-boy which floats the imaginary boundary between skim and surf.

Doum is a friend and I love for him to sell boards which ideally puts a small amount of cash in his pocket (enough to buy a coffee). The LF Dom shares attributes of the skim board he and and worked on for his pro board under Shred Stixx, and attributes from other companies Doum has worked with over the year, like Calibrated. The price is hard to beat, but it is a pressure molded composite board. Which is a turn off to some and makes it considerably heavier than the other boards you are looking at.

The Inland KF is probably the most responsive of the 3. However, as a shaper, builder, designer, etc., I am probably more partial to the P5. The P5 is the only board on the list that is made in the USA (Florida), and they really do a good job of sourcing quality materials.

There are some custom skims out there, but in generally they are not manufacture in a suitable manner to hold up to the abuse of wake surfing.

Mitch out at Cal Marine Sports is probably your best bet for objective information on skim boards.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
In my mind the thing to consider is each of these board are built and composed of different materials. They differ in shape and attributes of those shapes to some extent, but they are all decidedly skim boards, except the f-boy which floats the imaginary boundary between skim and surf.

Doum is a friend and I love for him to sell boards which ideally puts a small amount of cash in his pocket (enough to buy a coffee). The LF Dom shares attributes of the skim board he and and worked on for his pro board under Shred Stixx, and attributes from other companies Doum has worked with over the year, like Calibrated. The price is hard to beat, but it is a pressure molded composite board. Which is a turn off to some and makes it considerably heavier than the other boards you are looking at.

The Inland KF is probably the most responsive of the 3. However, as a shaper, builder, designer, etc., I am probably more partial to the P5. The P5 is the only board on the list that is made in the USA (Florida), and they really do a good job of sourcing quality materials.

There are some custom skims out there, but in generally they are not manufacture in a suitable manner to hold up to the abuse of wake surfing.

Mitch out at Cal Marine Sports is probably your best bet for objective information on skim boards.
Thanks for your response. It was quite informative, as to compared to what I know. I am leaning towards the LF Doum, mainly because price and I believe it's going to allow to me to do what I have in my mind. With that being said, as much as I would like to get a P5/I.S., I think I out to grasp the feel for skim style to see how far I want end up taking it. P5 might be a good baseline as the board I would want is only +$200 more, as compared to the I.S. that I would need to put a mortgage down payment on.

There is a somewhat local wake shop in my area, so I might venture down there and see if a demo is a possibility, and at the least, be able to see these boards with my own two eyes if they are in stock. Thanks again for your response.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-12-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
i have a brand new calibrated skim board for sale. 52". 500. skiim is not my style. ridin like 5 times.
500? That seems crazy steep
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       03-12-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
take a look at the tripleX composite. They can be had for a great price and with their bamboo composite construcion they look pretty cool too. you can find them online for under $350 if you look around. They should be releasing a new and improved version soon too.

trevor
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
Uh oh... he's trying to pull a quick one on the noobie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
take a look at the tripleX composite. They can be had for a great price and with their bamboo composite construcion they look pretty cool too. you can find them online for under $350 if you look around. They should be releasing a new and improved version soon too.

trevor
Trevor,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look into their boards. I am really open to anything as I am new to skim-style.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       03-12-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
I really like their boards but they pay me to say that . Honestly though its a great product for a great price. Aaron Witherall our pro skim rider took second at worlds last year riding one of these skim boards.
Old     (WakePros)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-12-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
If you're looking for performance on a budget, you might give the P5 Prop a go. It's the skim the Danielo won two worlds with. it's pretty lightweight even though it's composite because it's only 3/4" inch thick. You could do worse for the $. Good luck.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2013, 11:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
I really like their boards but they pay me to say that . Honestly though its a great product for a great price. Aaron Witherall our pro skim rider took second at worlds last year riding one of these skim boards.
Of course, can't knock the hustle. I've seen a vid or two on that guy... he tears it up! and he' a PNW guy. Win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakePros View Post
If you're looking for performance on a budget, you might give the P5 Prop a go. It's the skim the Danielo won two worlds with. it's pretty lightweight even though it's composite because it's only 3/4" inch thick. You could do worse for the $. Good luck.
Interesting. Thanks for throwing in this awesome suggestion. At $455, the price point is well within' reach. For about $100 more, I could get the '12 P5 Danielo Carbon for $580. Would the extra $125 be worthwhile to spring for a '12 Danielo? I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, this board will be lighter, shorter (51" vs. 54"), and something I wouldn't "grow" out of.

Aside from price, what all better does the Danielo do than the Doum Skim? I think I have narrowed it down between these two products and starting to lean towards the Danielo since it seems I would be getting a lot of board for pennies i'd pay.

Edit: This seems like a worthy candidate as well. '12 P5 Danielo Pro

Last edited by MCObray; 03-12-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-13-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
After much deliberation, I went ahead and put in a order today for the 2012 51" P5 Danielo Pro Carbon board. From all the reviews I read, users were much satisfied from this board and found themselves progressing with the board and not growing out of it, which is something I desired. I ended up getting 10% off my purchase, as well as free shipping, that ended up sweetening the deal for me. I am stoked to say the least and will post up some pictures once it arrives. Thanks again everyone for information, suggestions, and 2 cents!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-13-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
they are 550 new.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-13-2013, 1:47 PM Reply   
Aaron Witherall can pretty much rock any board he steps on, YES he is that good! Go to wake9 and check out the Polar Bear reviews, a lot of skim style boards were rode there.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-13-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
I found a IS Black Pearl (used) on line (Craigslist) for 150 bones last year! If your not sure what you want, I would look for a pre owned board.....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-13-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
You will be happy with the P5! Its fast and loose! Great skim board IMO!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-13-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
I found a IS Black Pearl (used) on line (Craigslist) for 150 bones last year! If your not sure what you want, I would look for a pre owned board.....
Man, that's a score. I've been scouring CList for the past two months looking used. Either nobody surfs in the PNW, or they sure like to hang onto their boards. I found a ShredStixx Piranha in Bend, but I was in search of a skim. Finally, exhausted with looking everyday on CL for a used board, I bought new.

Quote:
You will be happy with the P5! Its fast and loose! Great skim board IMO!
Thank you. I made sure to do some homework and read the reviews and experiences of others before pulling the trigger. I was honestly set on a LF Doum, but I could see myself kicking myself in the pants if I didn't go with a P5 or Inland Surfer. Coupled with the purchase of the board, I also picked up a P5 board bag to keep my investment in optimal condition when not out on the water. The items should be coming next week... hopefully get out on the boat here soon!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-14-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm here in the PNW, where do you ride?? We ride American lake in Lakewood, by JBLM. Should be out on the water by April 15th!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-14-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm here in the PNW, where do you ride?? We ride American lake in Lakewood, by JBLM. Should be out on the water by April 15th!
Very nice. Sounds like you hail from Washington? I ride wherever the driver takes me! Primarily, we cruise a section of the Willamette in Newberg/Wilsonville, Lost Creek Reservoir (Near Crater Lake), Lake Billy Chinook (Central Oregon), and occasionally Detroit Lake (Cascade Mountains) if everyone and their mom are not there.

Update on the board. I got in touch with BoardCo, from where I order the '12 P5 Daniel Pro Carbon 51" from, and unfortunately there was a miscommunications of sorts which lead to the board being completely out of stock. Ready to dive into another search for a board, I was startled with the offer from BoardCo presented me shortly after delivering the daunting message: Upgrade to '13 Daniel Pro Carbon of your choice, for no additional charge. WHATTTTTTTTTT!?! Needless to say, BoardCo just gained a customer for life. I've never personally experienced a company step up and take care of a customer like that before, so big props to BoardCo. I ended up going with the '13 Daniel Pro Carbon Special Edition Alligator .
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-14-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Sweet!!!! Post pics when you get it!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-16-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Sweet!!!! Post pics when you get it!
I will certainly do that.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-19-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
Both board & board bag have shipped. I'm taking my last final for Spring Term and then Spring Break! I ended up making a mistake on having the board bag shipped to my apartment, which I will be leaving here shortly for home, so hopefully it'll here in time. Anywho, both BoardCo & Slayshtank provided excellent customer service so thumbs up for those guys!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-21-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
Board Bag came today.

Can't wait till I have P5 to put in it!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Board arrived today. Traction pad came in wrong color, as I originally ordered white/green/black. I instead got black, but oh well... just stoked to have a new board this year! The board is remarkably light and looks well put together.

New board. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-30-2013, 9:44 PM Reply   
Tested out the board, and new-to-us boat today! Wake needs to be cleaned up. 07' Malibu VTX. Full MLS. Front tank full, center tank full, driver side rear full, driver side sack full (unsure of weight), wedge down, speed 9.2-9.4. Something doesn't seem to be right... suggestions?

Last edited by MCObray; 03-30-2013 at 9:51 PM.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-30-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
should'a bought the board from California Marine Sports which actually stocks the Boards and you actually could'a got what you paid for!!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-30-2013, 10:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wofrankwo View Post
should'a bought the board from California Marine Sports which actually stocks the Boards and you actually could'a got what you paid for!!
Should've, could've, would've. BoardCo still stepped up to the plate, so i'm satisfied with my purchase. Next time though, I'll venture around a little more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       03-31-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Try increasing the speed. I find best goofy side riding between 10.5 and 11.2 on my Enzo 216 hull which is closer to the VTX hull than the deep V Enzo's.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-31-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Speed up and maybe ditch a bit of bow weight, test that, sometimes it takes a bit to dial, especially in the spring when you only have 1 or 2 peeps.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
Try increasing the speed. I find best goofy side riding between 10.5 and 11.2 on my Enzo 216 hull which is closer to the VTX hull than the deep V Enzo's.
It was weird. When getting up into the mid 10s, the wave become very mush, almost unrideable. There were only two people sitting in the boat and were not sitting driver side. I'll try to increase next time again and see if I could get some video. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Speed up and maybe ditch a bit of bow weight, test that, sometimes it takes a bit to dial, especially in the spring when you only have 1 or 2 peeps.
Yeah, from what it seems, it looks like it'll take some dialing. I've seen others VTX wake and appears to be not as much wash as there was in the video. Thanks for dropping by though.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-31-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
I think it really depends on people/extra ballast, but youre pretty spot on for speed. Maybe look into slamming a bit more, the ol' "just to the rub rail" adage seems to work for most boats I have been on.
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...rf-wake/page-2
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-31-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
You can get a great skim wake out of it, maybe ask this guy his setup?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmffsz9RUM
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think it really depends on people/extra ballast, but youre pretty spot on for speed. Maybe look into slamming a bit more, the ol' "just to the rub rail" adage seems to work for most boats I have been on.
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...rf-wake/page-2
It seems as though I was going pretty slow, so just trying to figure a way to cruise around 10.6+ mph. The PO set this VTX specifically for surfing. There is an absolute HUGE custom Fly High on port side that is 1500 lbs (Locker and under seats). When we demo'd the boat, he was up at 10.4 mph and that thing is throwing an absolute beautiful wake for a regular rider... it's Bobby Bright's (Malibu Crew) old VTX. I think maybe adding a 400 on the cooler for goofy riding may be the way to go, especially if there are only 1 or 2 additional people in the boat besides driver.

Quote:
You can get a great skim wake out of it, maybe ask this guy his setup?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmffsz9RUM
I'll try and track him down. Looks like a good, clean wake.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-31-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
Mason - where were you riding in that video? Willamette?

which direction where you moving in that video, upstream or downstream and did you try turning around and going the other way?

We surf on the Columbia and spend a lot of time adjusting speed between upstream and downstream travel especially using GPS based speed control. I will typically use 11mph as a baseline and add or subtract 2mph depending on direction to correct for the speed of the river and then make very minor adjustments from there..

the other thing you might try as I think others have suggested is dropping some of the bow weight. you may wind up with a little shorter wave but will probably loos a lot of that prop wash.

all FWIW, IMHO of course.

BTW... that board you got looks awesome!.. I like how that raised ridge runs all the way down the middle.. seems like you would get great grip with that
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
Mason - where were you riding in that video? Willamette?

which direction where you moving in that video, upstream or downstream and did you try turning around and going the other way?

We surf on the Columbia and spend a lot of time adjusting speed between upstream and downstream travel especially using GPS based speed control. I will typically use 11mph as a baseline and add or subtract 2mph depending on direction to correct for the speed of the river and then make very minor adjustments from there..

the other thing you might try as I think others have suggested is dropping some of the bow weight. you may wind up with a little shorter wave but will probably loos a lot of that prop wash.

all FWIW, IMHO of course.

BTW... that board you got looks awesome!.. I like how that raised ridge runs all the way down the middle.. seems like you would get great grip with that
Russ,

Yes, Willamette @ Newberg.

In this video, I am heading upstream (not with the current) in the Willamette. I never really thought of this variable (current direction) playing a role in the product of the wake... very good observation there and am now aware of. Thanks. Next time out, i'll try and get pops to only fill bow tank 1/2 to 3/4 full and see how it is. At this point, any suggestions/opinions are freely welcomed. I feel as if the wake can be improved, so tweaking and dialing will just come as part of the process.

The P5 board is awesome. It is so much different than the 5' 4" Hyperlite Broadcast I have surfed these last three years. It's like I've got to get my sea legs under me, as this board likes to dance. This is just what I wanted though, as when I pump there is mucho response. Grip is great, really like the raised surface right down the middle of the traction pads. Can't wait to get out on the board again!

Thanks Russ.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-05-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Out and about yesterday up in Portland. It was great to get out on the water. Surf wave is mush here-and-there, but at times shows potential of producing a consistent, clean wake. In order to achieve that, I think additional sacs are needed; one under the seats where the factory cooler is, another V-Drive sac on top of seats above cooler, and another V-Drive sac in the front bow, but that's just what came to my mind.
P5 Danielo Pro Carbon: Second time out using the P5. I'm liking the P5 Danielo board. It certainly creates a new challenge and I feel as if I just started wakesurfing for the very first time. The board is very "loose", yet very responsive and fast. I still find myself adjusting my feet on the board, just because it's a whole 'nother sensation with a shorter, skim style board. Going from a 5' 4" Broadcast to a 4'2" Danielo is a massive difference, but i'm really enjoying this board and have no buyers-remorse about it. I had a great time and just fortunate to have the opportunity to get out on the water! Few pics.

Mushier:

WW reppin'.

Last edited by MCObray; 05-05-2013 at 3:41 PM.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-11-2013, 10:12 PM Reply   
Weather sure has been cooperating here with us in the Pacific Northwest. We are usually accustomed to 60s with inconsistent sun coming in May, but have had the delight of several 80 degree days. I think we finally figured out how to put of the best weight with the VTX, so needless to say we had an absolute blast. I've been trying to get nail down surface 360s... anybody care to critique and shoot some advice this way? Thanks guys!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-12-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-16-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
Here's a better wake comparison.
Starboard: Front MLS, Center MLS, Locker MLS, and Fly High Sac in Locker.
Port side: Front MLS, Center MLS, Locker MLS, and Fly High (Enzo Style) in Locker.

Maddi Wakesurfing. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

Mike Wakesurfing. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Port side wins!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-01-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
Ah... the weekends.

IMG_6256 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

IMG_6211 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

IMG_6406 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

IMG_6417 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-09-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
I got a chance to go out Friday on a '11 VLX (picture above, to the right). Best wake I have been behind!

IMG_6434 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-11-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-30-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-30-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Throw a 750 sac in the starboard locker and that 400lber on the set or on the floor by the cooler.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-03-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
You're getting really close on the 3's and shoe-its! You and I seem to be on the same skill level. I've been close to getting a few 3's but I still end up washing out. I'm finding out that since I'm still new to the sport, fin size is a big factor in how I ride that day. I have one that's a skim fin and one that's not nearly as big as surf fin but still a little larger and sharper than a skim fin. When using my skim fin, I over rotate my spins just like you did in your "Malibu Wakesetter '10 VLX surf. GoPro HD Hero 2." video. The video below is me using the larger fin. It tracks easier which gets me moving faster, and causes me to wash out less, but it's hard to shove-it (never landed one), and my 3's can be tricky as well: (First 360 attempt is around 0:48)

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-08-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
You're getting really close on the 3's and shoe-its! You and I seem to be on the same skill level. I've been close to getting a few 3's but I still end up washing out. I'm finding out that since I'm still new to the sport, fin size is a big factor in how I ride that day. I have one that's a skim fin and one that's not nearly as big as surf fin but still a little larger and sharper than a skim fin. When using my skim fin, I over rotate my spins just like you did in your "Malibu Wakesetter '10 VLX surf. GoPro HD Hero 2." video. The video below is me using the larger fin. It tracks easier which gets me moving faster, and causes me to wash out less, but it's hard to shove-it (never landed one), and my 3's can be tricky as well: (First 360 attempt is around 0:48)
Nice video. I've seen some of your posts on TMC and you've got a nice wave for an older VLX. Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually been looking into buying a larger, 2" fin to see the difference. Heck, it's only $24 so why not. Good riding and keep it up man!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-08-2013, 10:04 PM Reply   
Sunday Funday on the Willamette.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-08-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-13-2013, 7:46 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux8UN...E91u0vdRCG2uww
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-18-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-23-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
To anybody whom is interested, my Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon is for sale! $525