Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-02-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
I've got some major rust problems with my Extreme trailer. As you can see from the pics, apparently water was able to get under the diamond plate and there's pretty much nothing you can do after that. I'm not sure why it wasn't sealed better. There appears to be no problem with rust on the front steps, just the two back ones. It's only been in salt water once about three years ago and I washed the hell out of it, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that.

Unfortunately, it all just kind of came out of nowhere, otherwise I probably could have salvaged the steps. It's only reared its ugly head in the past year. I guess it was rusting under the diamond plate for a while before it started running down the sides where I could see it.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody has had to deal with this before. Any ideas on how to fix it? I'm assuming that the entire step will have to be removed and replaced, but I might be wrong. It's bolted to the fender, but welded to the trailer, so I'm sure removing it will be fun. Any help would be appreciated.

Fender

Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-02-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
With a grinder and a Sawsall it comes off pretty quick. The new replacement steps from Extreme are made of thicker metal and will fit right up. You can drill and bolt the step on and then take it to a welder and have them throw a couple beads on when you get a chance.

The diamond plate is always a problem sealing the moisture in. The black foam rubber is a better choice for steps IMO. When you replace the steps you will probably find rust on the inside of the fenders where the carpet panels bolt on. This can be quickly ground down and repainted to avoid future problems.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-02-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Troy. Any idea what it would cost to have something like that done? I don't think I'm up to the task, yet I shiver to think what it will cost me. :-)
Old    awlang            12-02-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
Dave,
Have your trailer Rhino Lined or Line X'ed. They are both companies that use a special material to spray the inside of truck beds, and they will not rusty or anything. These companies can spray anything, and the material won't crack, shatter, or break. It is kinda like a rubber plastic spray that they can spray it in any color. It is the best stuff around for truck beds, and I am sure it would work on a boat trailer.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-02-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hey Dave, My girlfriends Uncle has a killer Mig welder and lives like right next to you. He is the project type of guy and if i asked really nice i bet he would let me use his welder.I have a sawzall and all the other goodies. Let me think what it would cost you hmmmmm. how about lunch, a couple of beers and maybe demo your Balance. What do you think?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-02-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
Adam, that's an interesting approach. Has anybody ever Rhino-lined their trailer?
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-02-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
sounds like a helluva deal to me

www.enemyofevil.com
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-02-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
Do you really know how to do all that stuff? It sounds like a big project. I'll give you my Balance if you can pull this off...plus the lunch and beers thing! Can you be here in an hour? :-)
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-02-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
If you cant swing the freebie deal:-),
Then on the cheap I would buy the steps and then find a trailer/rv/horse trailer type guy and have him do the work. Some old tinkerer like Randy's uncle! Its really an easy job to do, we did a 2000 extreme last summer in a couple afternoons. The hardest part is prepping for good paint.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-02-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
I'll tell you like i tell all my friends...you buy the parts i'll do the work. Oh and to answer your question yeah i know how to do all that stuff I can cut off the old ones and mount the new ones and then you can either paint it yourself or do the Rhinolining thing
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       12-02-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
D,
I used to work at a trailer shop and weld back in the day... Depends how bad the rust is. From the pics it looks like it’s not too deep. I would pull the diamond plate up and zap it with a grinder or wire wheel and see how deep the rust is. If it’s not that bad… try using por (www.por-15.com)to seal the rust after you clean it up. Once you have the por applied you can touch up the trailer with regular spray paint and just cover the step with grip tape or gator grip type stuff and call it good.

If it’s bad… next option would be cut off the fender and put on a new one… might even want to look at making the fender longer so you can use it more like a step to get up onto the platform. That way you would also be able to cover any grind marks from cutting off the welds too.

Getting your entire trailer Ryno Lined or Line-Xed seems a bit much IMO. Getting a truck bed done is 350-400 so use that as a gauge.

Good luck. Sounds like you have some new material for the next ‘how too article'

Old     (ocrider)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-02-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
Dave,

I have seen entire boat trailers sprayed with Line-X at the San Diego boat show. They actually look really cool, and you never have to worry about rust again!

Here is a pic I found of what appears to be a desert/pwc trailer in red spray-on liner:

Spray On trailer

I am glad you posted because I have the same kind of diamond plating you have, and now I might remove it to see how it looks underneath.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-03-2003, 12:08 AM Reply   
They've Line-x about everything, even a hole truck and Military tanks, the stuff is indestructable.
There is also the real rust stop paint, and it works really well, but costs $80 a tin.
Old    awlang            12-03-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
I talked to the Line X guy here in my town, and they can do anything!! Snow plows, trailers, etc...I actually had him spray 2 hockey sticks for me, and they will not split or crack now. They are waterproof and super strong! It may be expensive to have done, but if you talk to them, I bet he could give you a deal if you promote Line X on the website or something. Plus, it may up the value of your trailer if you ever decide to get a new boat and trailer.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-03-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hey Dave,

my dad has a killer set of tools, I can fix it!!! LOL

Not!!

But I did check with a trailer shop a few years back to refinish and powder coat an old trailer I had, that was much worse off than yours. It was going to run around $1000 to do it. Hope that helps you on figuring out how much it might cost you. You should check with Extreme directly, I think they refinish their trailers too.

Hey that could be fire damage on your trailer. Maybe you can get the insurance to pay for it!!! okokok just kidding!!!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-03-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
Woah...Woah...Woah now let's not go and try offend anyone here like say...myself. I don't make a ton of money so i had to learn how to do everything myself and i like Dave he has always been cool to me so i was trying to help a brotha out ya know. It just so happens that logistically it would be easier to take the trailer to my g/f's uncles house that lives next door instead of making him bring his trailer to my house.

I apologize if i took your post out of context but hey that's just what it sounds like to me

By the way Dave, after looking at those pics again don't you think it is just a little surface rust?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-03-2003, 5:49 PM Reply   
You might be right Randy. I just assumed that it's going to be a mess under the diamond plate, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I should definitely try that before I go the other route, since that's a pretty major job. I'm going away this weekend, but when I get home, I'll try to pry off the diamond plate (I assume it's glued on) and see what we're dealing with.

Randy, thanks a ton on the offer. Hopefully, I won't have to take you up on it. Maybe I can get away with grinding, spray paint and Gator Grip! :-) You are a very cool guy to offer to go out of your way like that!
Old    oldschool            12-04-2003, 7:36 AM Reply   
The Line-X won't do much for the inside of steel tubing. Most trailers rust from the inside out anyway.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Randy, I thought you might take that out of context, easy to do. No offense intended! I was up in a cabin in Big Bear all Thanksgiving week with not much to do, so we threw Fast Times At Ridgemont High and a few other cult classic titles into the DVD player. That line has been stuck in my head every since. LOL

It's nice of you to offer the help!

Cheers to all!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Oh and by the way, the "not" in my post was directed to my own "non" ability to even think about trying to fix something like that.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-04-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
No harm, No foul it's cool
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-04-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
Well, I went for a closer look and figured that diamond plate was secured with some kind of industrial strength glue, but I was able to pull both of them off with my bare hands. I was suprised that it just used a little double stick tape to hold it on. For boats that are stored outdoors, this just seems like it's asking for rust. Shouldn't they at least run a bead of silocone around these things??

Anyway, here is what it looks like. Some of the rust is pretty bad, but I think I might be able to make it look decent with some grinding. I'll keep you posted...

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-04-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
Well Dave if your are really worried about looks and the rust isn't too bad i suppose you could grind down the rust and then put a little Bondo or Mar-Glass on it before painting so she looks all pretty
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-04-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Sounds like a plan. Where's my grinder!! :-)
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-04-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Dave,
I've got the same problem on my '01. The fix is get the diamond plate off and leave it off! The best way to remove the old rust is to sandblast it, that's what they'll do at the factory. Then put several layers of good primer down and then paint it. The fenders are supposed to bolt on and off, you should be able to leave the steps in place for repairs, cutting down on your labor. I'm haveing mine done next weekend for a couple hundres bucks. I'll post before and afters when ready. oh yea, ALL trailers start to rust the minute they get wet from ANY type of water, usually from the inside out and we don't see it until much later. When you win the lottery you can solve all your problems about rust by buying Extreme's all stainless steel trailer!!!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-04-2003, 10:46 PM Reply   
OK I feel a good atricle could come out of this Dave, since it seems everyone with a trailer gets rust.

Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-08-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Pictures of the '01 extreme
rust pics
rust pic
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-08-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
fender step
fender rust