Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2003, 2:36 PM Reply   
I'm swapping out my spark plug wires and have a question. I have a MC 95 ProStar 205 with a Chevy 350. I have 8mm wires on it right now, the store cross referance them to Bosch 7mm. I used a Chevy 350 pickup TBI as a referance. Can I use 7mm or do they need to be 8mm? The 2 dealers I talked to said it doesn't matter if they are marine or not and to just use a Chevy 350 motor as a referance.
Old    wkeboardr7            03-17-2003, 8:10 PM Reply   
If you want really good wires go with MSD Ignition wires they are 8.5mm, I put some on my Chevy Truck and they are amazing. They raised my miles per tank a little and I felt the increase on my butt-o-meter. Another good option for wires are Taylors they are 8mm. You may have to order the MSD's from www.summitracing.com . These are of course high performance and more expensive than the ones at your autoparts store. I would go with the thicker wires for sure though. Good luck. Also don't forget to change the plugs too! Put in some AC Delco's or NGK V-Power plugs.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
i pulled auto plug wires outta my boat when i got it. they were in bad shape, marine plug wires have more shielding and more durable coatings.

i haven't tried msd though. i'd stick with marine.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
i pulled auto plug wires outta my boat when i got it. they were in bad shape, marine plug wires have more shielding and more durable coatings.

i haven't tried msd though. i'd stick with marine.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 1:05 PM Reply   
Adam, without sounding like an ass, assuming you old wires were in usable shape... there would be no difference in power. The only way to improve ignition performance is to increase the ignition output.

Sorry.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
Wastemore (barry), from what I understand wires have resistance. The same power with less resistance on the wire gets more spark to your plugs. A thicker wire or better quality metal would offer less resistance. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2003, 4:41 PM Reply   
Doubleup-

SPARK PLUGS use only the electrical energy necessary to perform the function for which such devices are designed. IGNITION WIRES are nothing other than conductors, and whereas an ignition wire's inefficient or failing conductor or insulating jacket (particularly a jacket inside grounded metal shielding) can reduce the flow of electricity to the spark plug, an ignition wire that allegedly generates an "increase" in spark energy will have no effect on the spark jumping across the spark plug gap, as the energy consumed at the spark plug gap won't be any more than what is needed to jump the gap (e.g. a 25 watt light bulb won't use any more energy or produce any more light if it's screwed into a socket wired to supply current to a 100,000 watt light bulb).

"LOW-RESISTANCE" SPIRAL WIRES
By far the most popular conductor used in ignition wires destined for race and performance street engines are spiral conductors (a.k.a. mag, pro, super, spiral, monel, heli, energy, ferro, twin core etc.). Spiral conductors are constructed by winding fine wire around a core. Almost all manufacturers use constructions which reduce production costs in an endeavor to offer ignition component marketers and mass-merchandisers cheaper prices than those of their competitors.

In the USA in particular, most marketers of performance parts selling their products through mass-merchandisers and speed shops include a variety of very effective high-output ignition systems together with a branded not-so-effective ignition wire line using a spiral conductor. Most perpetually try to out-do their competitors by offering spiral conductor ignition wires with the lowest electrical resistance. Some publish results which show their wires are superior to a competitor's wires which use identical cable (on which another brand name is printed). The published "low" resistance (per foot) is measured with a test ohmmeter's 1 volt direct current (DC) passing through the entire length of the fine wire used for the spiral conductor.

"Low-resistance" conductors are an easy sell, as most people associate all ignition wire conductors with original equipment and replacement ignition wire carbon conductors (which progressively fail as a result of microscopic carbon granules burning away and thus reducing the spark energy to the spark plugs) and with solid wire zero-resistance conductors that were used by racers with no need for suppression. Consumers are easily led into believing that if a spiral conductor's resistance is almost zero, its performance must be similar to that of a solid metal conductor all race cars once used. HOWEVER, NOTHING IS FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!

What is not generally understood (or is ignored) is that as a result of the laws of electricity, the potential 45,000 plus volts (with alternating current characteristics) from the ignition coil (a pulse type transformer) does not flow through the entire the length of fine wire used for a spiral conductor like the 1 volt DC voltage from a test ohmmeter, but flows in a magnetic field surrounding the outermost surface of the spiral windings (skin effect). The same skin effect applies equally to the same pulsating flow of current passing through carbon and solid metal conductors.

A spiral conductor with a low electrical resistance measured by an ohmmeter indicates, in reality, nothing other than less of the expensive fine wire is used for the conductor windings — a construction which cannot achieve a clean and efficient current flow through the magnetic field surrounding the windings, resulting in poor suppression for RFI and EMI.

Of course, ignition wire manufacturers save a considerable amount in manufacturing costs by using less fine wire, less exotic winding machinery and less expertise to make low-resistance spiral conductors. As an incentive, they find a lucrative market amongst performance parts marketers who advertise their branded ignition wires as having "low-resistance" conductors, despite the fact that such "low-resistance" contributes nothing to make spiral ignition wires perform better, and RFI and EMI suppression is compromised.

Here's the website I ripped it off from:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

I dis-like seeing people waste money on a an awesome marketing job thinking it's going to make their car perform better. Unless you have bad wires to begin with, you're just wasting your money.

B-