Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-03-2013, 1:58 AM Reply   
These are my shred sticks from 1996

Both my hair style clothes and boards kept me lookin fresh on the water haha

Sadly the Neptune has gone but I still have my HO Hyperlite Big Gun - which glows in the dark!
Attached Images

Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-03-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
I rode BOTH of those boards back in the day! The Big Gun was the first wakeboard I ever rode, and the Impala is STILL the best looking wakeboard ever created.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-03-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
I've got a couple of my old boards. Have my first board, the WakeTech Big Air. Still have my first twin, the LF Free (in oatmeal color no less).

Good stories behind both of those. My brothers and I recycled hundreds of pounds of copper wire (my dad dug it up on a job) and we bought the Big Air. The Free was purchased at the LA Boat Show from Tony Finn, and he was amped then too.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-03-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Neptune Impala was my first real wakeboard!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Connelly T2 Carbon board - Broken a stack of them so never was left with one. LF Free/Fly - These were light foam so broke more than I could count. Still got a bunch of the old HL Heer, WakeTech purple/gold 69 and skurfer around
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-03-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Just gave away my first wakeboard, a Connelly Bladerunner to an Aussie that wanted to hang it in his shop.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-03-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
My Hyperlite BAFF is still in my basement along with my old Byerly Blunt by Wake Tech. I've kept every board I've ever had except ones that had to get sent in for warranty replacement.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Wish i never sold my skurfer... Still have my old jobe and double up nelson pro though !
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-03-2013, 10:10 AM Reply   
Im back on my '99 trip. If thats considered old school...
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-03-2013, 12:03 PM Reply   
Still have an older HL Evil Twin 146 in my shed. Never use it but still love it. Back when I was much haevier big boards were hard to come by.
Old    sperbet            04-03-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
where's e-snow? she's got the ultimate collection.

I've still got my gator wake tech and greg nelson double up pro. wish my dad would've held on to the skurfer
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-03-2013, 12:50 PM Reply   
all my old boards are back at the fams house in Cali, but here's my list:

Wake Tech Byerly Blunt (orangish with smioke going up the board lol)
Blindside DV8
Liquid Force Squirt (retro colors and rainbow swirl down the center haha!)
Liquid Force Trip (my favorite of all time, this one is the blue 128 with the flames going up the side haha)

Currently shredding: 12 shane hybrid
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-03-2013, 12:50 PM Reply   
Love these old school posts
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-03-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
I have an old Connelly in my rafters somewhere. Had the LF Free, but gave it to my nephew. Lost my skurfer or something. Still have my super squirt and squirt. Not a clue how to post pics anymore though.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-03-2013, 9:27 PM Reply   
How about my 1990 HO Hyperlite model before Hyperlite was a company

Bottom graphics
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-04-2013, 1:40 AM Reply   
I'm still here. Of course i have my own boards and then some. I found a mutiny josh smith, a randy harris sound pro model, and i want to make a special post with mu k2 wakeboard collection. I finally found a k2 cherry to go along with the woody (i feel ridiculous typing those board names, fyi). I just haven't done that yet.

But i always love seeing these threads. Oh, talking about old boards! Count me IN!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-04-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
I'm still here. Of course i have my own boards and then some. I found a mutiny josh smith, a randy harris sound pro model, and i want to make a special post with mu k2 wakeboard collection. I finally found a k2 cherry to go along with the woody (i feel ridiculous typing those board names, fyi). I just haven't done that yet.

But i always love seeing these threads. Oh, talking about old boards! Count me IN!
Was the Randy Harris Sound board the one with just the big S in between the bindings? They had one, and I forget who's board it was, that had an underwater thing going on with 2-3 sharks circling and it looked awesome.

Of all the classic boards out there, if I could find one of the old Double Ups that had the underwater scene of the squid attacking the boat, life would be good. I think there were 3 in that series and they all looked phenomenal. Here they are, if anyone has any of these I applaud you and am envious.
Attached Images

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-04-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Pretty sure that's the board you are talking about Stephan. I saw it at a play it again sports about 3 years ago. They wanted $100 for it! I offered $20, and they declined. I should see if its still there.
Old    sperbet            04-04-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post

Of all the classic boards out there, if I could find one of the old Double Ups that had the underwater scene of the squid attacking the boat, life would be good. I think there were 3 in that series and they all looked phenomenal. Here they are, if anyone has any of these I applaud you and am envious.
Haha. That's the one I've got that I was referring to in my post. It is the squid version and I agree, it's got some badass artwork on it.
Old    sperbet            04-04-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
Oh, and the middle one is Igor's pro model. He's a friend of one of the guys I ride with regularly during the summer. He doesn't ride much anymore, but I have gotten out with him. Pretty awesome, he still rides his old pro model and floppy CD bindings. It's hilarious actually. He can still steeze out one ridiculous method too.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-04-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperbet View Post
Oh, and the middle one is Igor's pro model. He's a friend of one of the guys I ride with regularly during the summer. He doesn't ride much anymore, but I have gotten out with him. Pretty awesome, he still rides his old pro model and floppy CD bindings. It's hilarious actually. He can still steeze out one ridiculous method too.
Nice! I think the third one was the 132 Sam Owens model. Definitely wish I had the squid one, always been one of my favorites.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-04-2013, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have most of my original boards from the 90s. This is the first composite deck that I owned, the Hyperlite Pro 1992, my brother had the original Hyperlite 1991. Before those decks I had two versions of Skurfers. After those decks we had the 1994 Shapiro Pro Model until 1996 when I got a Twin B.a.f.f. I will try and snap some pics tonight.

Here's the Hyperlite Pro in Action in 1993-4???? Cant Remember the year, those are Hyperlits first gen bindings. and Me a few years back getting ready to take it for a spin....
Attached Images

Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-04-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
We need to somehow collate these amazing pics of these weapons into some sort of photographic shrine / gallery....

I have spotted an old orange and red flight 69 around my local watering hole but the guys who own it wont give it up

Scott is that the Gator with the actual 'Gatorade' graphics on it???!!!!! that this is iconic!!! and went through a lawsuit didn't it??
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-04-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
This thread is awesome. I wish I had never gotten rid of my boards every year when it was time for the new model. I'm currently in the process of scouring to find every board I ever rode. When I am a homeowner again I plan on hanging them all on the wall of my man cave/office or whatever I end up with.
These aren't old boards like this thread is about but none the less they decorate my little condo well
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-04-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
I have a few.
Attached Images

Old    sperbet            04-05-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Damn, that's a solid collection right there. The top one is the second board I ever rode. I believe it was the first board called a "wakeboard" and not a skurfer.

Indy, it is the Gatorade Gator Flight 69. It's pretty awesome.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-05-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
Oh man.... digging this memory road stuff..... If I get a chance, I will snap some shots of my stuff....
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
Jay, that is an awesome collection man. Very envious of that. I really like the Stinger boots on the Jeff Heer board. Stinger had some awesome boards back then and their first EVA boot was awesome.

Some days I still wish I had my LF Pro Sucs, they were zippered and awesome.

Last edited by stephan; 04-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-05-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
DANG Jay T - super impressed! the Perez signature is so dope hahaha
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-06-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
Thanks!Yeah,always wanted a Stinger board,their boots were solid though.I have 2 pair of them both still in great condition.@stephan-I have a pair of those LF Pro Sucs in the basement.My binding scrap pile is good sized also.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
Small light, it's the one with the s on it. I loved that brand and being a similar age, i thought randy was the best. I don't know that the other board started out as such, but at some point it seemed like it was todd brendel's pro model. I thought that on the second year of that board being around, and randy was probably on wake tech that todd got that board.

Wakebrdjay, that primitive design board is cool. I've never actually seen one that someone owned. I only saw ads or whatever in the mags. I believe they're hand shaped also, eight? That scorpion is nuts.

Here's a link to a thread i started awhile ago with my boards. It's a lot of work to retake pics of those things,,but i'd like to do a small update at some point.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779812

I will include a shot of the cherry and woody by k2 because i have that on my tablet.
Attached Images

Last edited by electricsnow; 04-08-2013 at 7:53 PM.
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-09-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
wow - what a link electric... there was a wave of memories flooding over me looking through that time glass of boards. I'm super impressed that so many people here have a real knowledge, passion and understanding of the roots....

I dare say you and the lads in New Zealand at the Ballistics wakeboard camp would get along really well - they have a whole shed lined with every board that came out... Might try and track those photos down

Like a good roll to revert from Johnny King on a blindside.... ahh the memories
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-09-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
e-snow: how about showing off the wakeskate collection?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-09-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
This is all I have left. My skurfer "bindings" broke, so I tossed that away in like '93 or so. Never thought I would ever care about it again. Gave my LF Free to my nephew or something back in like '97. Threw my dads old o'brien slalom in there for good measure. Wish I kept everything from those days.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
Those are cool pics trigo. I feel like your hair and gear is all era correct for some reason. Maybe it makes me think of guys like thomas and chase.

For you kristian, here are a bunch of pics i'd previously taken and posted on the deck collection thread on ws.com. Everything isn't here (i have a wood grubb wood concave from 02 that i love but don't currently have at home). These will give a pretty decent idea of what i have...i try not to be too tied into material possessions, but i am proud of my collection and i'm glad i took the time to do this.

Please bear with the many photos.

First post:
1) group shot with most of my cassettes

2) side view of said cassettes

3) various waterboards/waterskates and other boards. These photos do't do some of these boards justice...in the top photo there are three 04 reed cassette models, one which is a prototype ridden by reed, another rideen by danny hampson at the irvine stop in 04. In the second pic, a keen eye will recognize the fresh water traction wakeskate in the wbm buyer's guide!

4) just a neat shot of my completed 2001 cassette series decks. I don't own all color variants, but i'm close!

5) my completed 2002 cassette line pic on polaroid pack film.
Attached Images

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
More good stuff...

First board is a cassette protorype. Rounded ends that remind everyone of the kampus swing, no dual branding on this board, meaning there's no lf presence anywhere (original cassette). The graphic is also very unique because of the white flash. Chances are, if you've seen a seriea deck like this, it's had woodgrain behind the graphic. I really love this board.

The next set is also very significant to me. It's an original boombox deck next to an early lf x cassette boombox. This is the first board i tried to collect and it made me recognize the intricacies od the board graphics, the one on the left is truly cassette--no dual branding, and the shade of grey on it is a little different than the rest (not as dark as other grey versions). I showed it to thomas when i got it and he said he hadn't seen one in 10 years or so.

The third deck is more historical--just the first concave paul schmidtt created for cassette. Ps stix would go on to press the 05 and 06 cassette wakeskates.
Attached Images

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
Not as much to say about these, but i dig them none the less. The first shot has my integrity stimulus collection. They were a short run of wood core, urethane rail decks--an attempt to make some more affordable integrity decks for people. It sounds like they just weren't cost effective and they weren't coming out quite right. I have to add that the bottom pic in that integrity set is a board he was nice enough to make when he was sort of relaunching the brand in 2008. The bottom of the board glows in the dark and he created a urethane combo to match the ws.com colors.

Second set has the first remotes--wish i had the pastura to go with this set!

Final shot has some wm decks--andrew pastura's pro model and a limited edition austin pro model to celebrate his birthday.
Attached Images

Last edited by electricsnow; 04-09-2013 at 7:54 PM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Sorry to miss your post indy wakeboards. It would be cool to see that board collection down in nz! Memories are a huge part of what attract me to these boards. Even just looking on ebay, ot's fun to see the old boards you associate with some of the most fun times. Even if you didn't ride them, you probably saw a pro or whoever rock it. I mean, i'd still love to add a kd 55 because of thomas, even though it's not rare or desirable.

That's why i love that arnet sticker on that super squirt. It reminds me of bill mccaffray and greg nelson because those dudes rocked that sticker and i for sure celebeityworshipped and wanted to have things that associated me with that culture. It's how i grasped for that lifestyle in the midwest! :-)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-09-2013, 8:05 PM Reply   
You have a sickness e-snow!

I think my riding pic is from '95 or '96. Cant recall. I dyed my hair alot in the mid nineties!

Last edited by ttrigo; 04-09-2013 at 8:07 PM. Reason: A
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2013, 9:17 PM Reply   
Ttrigo, some might say that. :-)

One different post i forgot--not exactly a board, but to cap off cassette mania, here's a chris mack sketch i got from thomas. A cassette tape, which is perfect...
Attached Images

Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-10-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
I have a handful of other old boards but I recently used two of the more significant boards while doing some decorating at NSB condo
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-10-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
Two more
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-11-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
HOLY SSSHHHEEEEEETTTT BALLS E-Snow.... I thought my collection was good.... you put me to shame.... BUT now i can show my wife your collection when she gives me "that face" when I tell her I bought another board.

Frank - how did you mount those boards on the wall. I have a few for my daughters nursery I need to hang ....
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Wazzy

I utilized the fin mounting screw holes for the Flight 69. The Skurfer had no holes through the board so I used wire which I wrapped around the screw used to attach the fin and a piece at the nose.

For both boards I used normal picture hanging hooks. Wrapped wire around hooks for Skurfer and slightly bent the hooks and then slid the 69's holes over them.

Nothing too fancy.

Frank
Old     (sideswipeproductions)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-11-2013, 8:40 PM Reply   
Seeing all those Chris Mack graphics alongside each other gives me the warm fuzzies.

I'm still using the sketches that came on CD with my Butter mag for my different desktop spaces.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
Wazzy, you should post some pics!

Josh, i dig the mack artwork too! It's all time for me, cannot be beat.
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-13-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i loved that Gator board

The not so naked chef: I'm pretty sure I was in the same stage as you back in the day with white arnet sunglasses and all!

i love this thread it makes me happy....

Josh Robinson - there you are... was wondering when you were going to weigh in with your wealth of knowledge .... well played
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       04-28-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
mounted this old school deck on the wall this weekend. signed at the cincy boat show in ~2005.

kb
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2013, 11:21 PM Reply   
love that ol' blue byerly

i just picked up the original HO hyperlite (great condition too) at a garage sale for $5. Woohooo, some history to put on the wall
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-29-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
I still have the 1998 Hyperlite Lavelle Honeycomb http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=53095 and 2000 Liquid Force Trip http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=53446 in my garage
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-29-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
Only recently got into wakeboarding. First board was an '07 Hyperlite 3DS 143cm. Don't have it anymore. Found out it had a bad insert several years after I bought it, and Hyperlite replaced it. They sent me a '12 Marek 145. An upgrade for sure!

I still have my first snowboard. A '99 or '00 Option Supercharger 168cm. I'll never let it go. Option went out of business several years ago. Such a shame, they made some really good boards!
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-30-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
Whilst coaching at the Ballistics wakeboard camp (about 2006) managed to get some pics of their AMAZING collection.....

Name:  IMG_8568.jpg
Views: 4418
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8570.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8569.jpg
Views: 4797
Size:  92.4 KBI
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-30-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
In none of these pictures do I see the uber-crappy Obrien 8-ball.. I had one.. awful.
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-30-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
Oh I do remember that deck hahaha
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2013, 8:33 PM Reply   
There might not be an 8 ball, but there is a "big richard"--perhaps an equally crappy board? Hahaha....

Indy wakeboards, those photos make my heart skip a beat! Unbelievable! They also have a k2 board in their collection, along with that sick looking horrell. I'm just surprised they don't have a cordial in that collection. I would love one of those.

Thanks for posting those pics!!
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-01-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
The Pimp board was sick so easy to ride finless before molded in fins !!
Yeah what ESnow says you need to find a Sound Board
Or No Billy No
Old     (Indywakeboards1)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-02-2013, 2:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
There might not be an 8 ball, but there is a "big richard"--perhaps an equally crappy board? Hahaha....

Indy wakeboards, those photos make my heart skip a beat! Unbelievable! They also have a k2 board in their collection, along with that sick looking horrell. I'm just surprised they don't have a cordial in that collection. I would love one of those.

Thanks for posting those pics!!

Your gunna have to break into Reece Jordans garage and rip it off the wall or pry it from his dead hand I dare say
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2013, 10:58 PM Reply   
A cordial would be a great board though! I want to say shaun murray and bill mccaffray have one, and dean lavelle might be on that list. That must have been a radical time to be a part of australian riding, or even encounter it...

Maybe i'll find one some day!
Old    Axis22            05-04-2013, 5:56 AM Reply   
Just found mine