Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
I just purchased a new boat that had the closed cooled system on it and am not sure about impellar's. I was thinking it would still have one b/c it still brings water through the exhaust but not sure.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-27-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
I can't swear to it, but I believe it does. It pumps raw water to the engine circulating pump and then through a heat exchanger to draw heat off of the coolant.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
The way I understand it, the raw water pump pulls raw water from the through hull fitting and pumps it through a heat exchanger. The raw water is then dumped into the exhaust and exits the boat. The water pump in the block pumps antifreze through the block and through the heat exchanger. Your raw water impeller is now more important because you lose cooling efficiency going through a heat exchanger versus direct cooling.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Yes it should still have an impellar. Telling us your boat and engine/drive combo helps when posting. If you have a I/O then you definately will have a impellar to cool the drive also.
Old     (lagobandido)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Your still using the lake water to cool the intake and exhaust manifolds. You should also be topping off your closed system prior to each usuage to ensure fluid level. I use 50% Distilled water and 50% Sierra coolant. Most set-ups have a bleeder line which spits out fluid so checking the level and topping off prior to usuage is a good habit to establish.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-01-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
The recirculating part of the cooling system is essentially the same as the radiator in your car. Use the same antifreeze, treat it the same (flushes and changing the antifreeze).

Instead of air to cool a radiator it uses water it pumps up from the lake/sea. This water is then dumped into the exhaust to cool it and to make it overboard.

The pump/impeller issues are exactly the same as a "raw water" cooled system.

Rod