Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-05-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
I was wondering if it was the baffle too but mine actually stopped when I pulled the fae off. That or it's loud enough without the fae to drown it out but I don't think that is the case.

Fred, 'Oil Change-why not change it every 50hrs?' simply put, cost and hassle. i had it changed after the 20 hr break-in. I'm at 80 total hrs now and scheduled for a change next monday so this change will have 65-70hrs. then I think I'll stretch to the 100hr intervals and every fall with winterization. i can't imagine following the mercury maintenance schedule being hard on their engine that they would have to warranty.

Have you been changing every 50? Full synthetic? how does the oil look at that point?
Old    ScottRobinson            07-05-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Wow, can't believe everyone has the muffler issue. Ian, after you got a new muffler it went away and never came back huh?

Ok, another question to everyone.... I have 6 hours on my boat..going to get this muffler issue solved ASAP, then put about 5-10 more on. I have a buddy coming from Nebraska on the 18th and staying for a week. We are going to do nothing but board. So am I going to hurt things by not doing a change until maybe 40-50 hours?

Can I just add oil? To get me by? Just don't want to put in shop while he is here. Uggg....
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Fred, that is a real possibility. I had a buddy descibe it as the same kind a tinging you get with a snowmobile exhaust. I'm not blaming the flappers. I just wanted to know if anyone else heard what I was hearing.

The only reason I went to the exhaust elbows was because it was recommended to me to cut out the baffles all together. Since I don't know how to glass, the elbows were the next best thing to redoing the muffler.

Scott, You got it buddy!

Nic, I left the flappers on for that very reason. I sure don't want any water back flowing.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Where do you guys get your engine and tranny oil filters from? I don't have a dealer near me. Is there a online place you guys go to?
Old    ScottRobinson            07-05-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Man I spend alot of time here. lol

I got to believe we can get filters from somewhere online Joe. I will spend some time tomorrow looking online. I know I will have to do some things on that too. Any thoughts on my 20 hours deal?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
If you get a pump, the oil changes should only take about 30 min to do yourself. I really wouldn't risk it. This is probably the most important time to change your oil.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-05-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Not an epic owner here, but Scott you definitely dont want to mess around with the break in period, especially the first oil change. It is probably the most important one, as a new engine has to wear in, meaning that it will get lots of little bits of metal in it from the pistons/rings fitting themselves perfectly in their new home (this is what Ive heard, maybe Im not 100 right on this). Dont want those bits of metal grinding around in your oil for another 20 hrs. Ive heard of plenty of people waiting wayyy longer than they should on the first change, or not doing the RPM things normally recommended by the manual during break in, but from these same people I hear them adding oil to their engines and probably are shortening the life of them. Take it for what its worth, but we followed the break in procedure perfectly on our 05 VLX and in 5 years have not had to add one DROP of oil to our Monsoon 340. Never burned or leaked an ounce, just FYI.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-06-2010, 2:49 AM Reply   
Also don't know what Mercrusier are like over there but internationally they will not honour a self service i.e. a registered dealer needs to complete the service and sign off the documentation or bye bye power-train warrantee so check out your documentation!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-06-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I will just do it prior to him coming. I will do it at maybe 17-19 or just run it till I hit 20 in the next week and a half. Thanks !!!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Ian - At 60 hrs, I changed it Sat and it was spent, black, I was also 2qts low. It was filled to 10qts according my VP specs. It costs me 100bux to change my oil with 100% syn myself and 20-30 min.

With the Moeller Vacuum pump, I pump it a couple of times, start the extract and find something else to do. It gets full and shuts itself off, empty it and start over, only have to do it twice and it takes no time at all.

Scott - change your oil according to break in.

Adam, the big blocks burn oil. We all have the 8.1ltr 496 GM BIG block. I am on my third engine, no it wasn't Epic's fault or issue, and every single one burns/consumes oil. I have no oil leaks.

Ian Scarlet - I change my own oil and have not had an issue with Volvo honoring their warranty. At a certain point you run out of warranty anyways.

Helpful links
Pump:

http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma...id_extractors/

OE Oil filters:

www.skidim.com

OE Tranny filters:

ZF Hurth trannys - http://www.marinepartssource.com/pro...sion%20Filters

The links should be a good start to online ordering. But find any mercruiser/mercury dealer for your oil filter. I don't know what tranny you guys have in your Mercruiser boats.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-06-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Info...

www.Mercurypartsexpress.com is where you can order all the filters and parts.

Fred that is great stuff there man !!

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Oh and I called MERCURY ENGINES myself and asked about the issue with the warranty. They said doing this stuff yourself does NOT void anything. I would keep receipts of things just for safe keeping but they didn't say that. They said "they recommend a dealer doing it, but it does nothing to the warranty if you change your own fluids"

Good to know !!

Last edited by ScottRobinson; 07-06-2010 at 8:17 AM. Reason: add link
Old    ScottRobinson            07-07-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Sorry no pics yet Joe of my exhaust. Got one side done last night, Riding tonight with some freinds on his boat and finishing tomorrow. Then starting her up in Driveway to see if rattle is gone. If it is, then going to do water test tomorrow night. See how it is on water with FAE on. Never had it on the water yet with the FAE on. Will post pictures Thursday or Friday.

As wow this isn't hard, but it is hard to get everything out and back in. Tubes and metal don't flex well, so if you don't cut things perfect it makes life difficult.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-07-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
That's cool, I already know what it's gonna look like. Just make sure you get everything pushed in, and tightened up. Sounds like your on the right track.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-07-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Has anyone actually bought the tranny and engine oil filters yet? Going off the links above, I'm assuming I need a 822626k04 for the engine and a 3312199031 for the tranny. I can't believe they want $50 for a filter. That's crazy!!!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-08-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
Joe, wow...... thanks for all the help. Just got done I will send you a PM.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-08-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Fred, Do you have the Hurth 630A tranny? If so, is the filter you use, part # 3312199031?

I found an engine oil filter locally, but nobody has the tranny filter. I don't want to order the wrong one.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
How often does everyone change there tranny oil? I went to change mine last fall, but it took me literally 2 hours to extract the engine oil with the extractor I had, so I didn't have the energy for the tranny. As for the tranny filter, I'm not sure mine even has one, unless I haven't looked hard enough. I got the Hurth ZF 63 IV.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2010, 3:49 AM Reply   
Fred, Did you run the boat for a while and then change the oil? If not, that's why it took so long. I plan to run mine up to temp, then start pumping the oil. Once I get all of it out, I'll change the filter. Hopefully by then the filter will drain out.

Not positive, but I think the 63 IV is the same thing, just a different version.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
Use moeller pump I listed in a link and it will take no time to change your COLD oil. Pump it a couple of times and let it go.

Joe I will find the better website for crossing your tranny to filter. Also remember when you have sticker shock that at least it's not diesel maintenance.....haha
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
Fred, I hear ya, that's the pump I use. My last boat had a hose that came off the oil pan drain. It was useless. It took 2 days for all the oil to drip out. After that first change, I got a pump like yours. It was a piece of cake. Somewhere along the way, that one got broke, but my 2nd one is going strong.

Thanks for looking up the tranny filter. You better check yours though. It might have one. I looked on the zf hurth site. It has all the manuals for all the different trannys. Still no part numbers for the filters though.

Diesel maintenance is crazy, everything costs a fortune! Still, $50 for an oil filter is out of line. There's nothing special about filtering oil. They're just raping you cause they can. If I ever do find the right part number, I'm gonna check NAPA. They can get just about anything.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-09-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Just talked to Moeller and they discontinued the Extractor...WTF? So now where guys, I need to get one.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-09-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Ok found it on Ebay....new....little more expensive but it is the bigger one so will be fine.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
try these links out also. These are all links I have in favorites for reference.

http://www.merequipment.com/21593/HS...3IV-Parts.html

Lots of stuff here - my link is default to VP but you can find Merc stuff too...

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/?g...odg1cQEg#volvo

I found somewhere where there was an exploded view of the tranny, I think it is in the link directly above.

Fred A - the filter location is on pass side of the tranny. lift up the rear seat, look at your tranny, there is a round plate with an allen head bolt over it, it will be opposite side of your shifter and fill/dipstick location. That is your filter location.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys. Haven't been on here for a while (new baby), but I have a bit of information you'll be interested in and will save you some $$$. Mercruiser no longer requires the 20 hour break in service. You can go to 100 hours the first time and every time after that. Got that info straight from a Mercruiser service center.

Keep an eye on the oil level though. The 8.1L eats oil, as was stated earlier.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-09-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Really......interesting. I still think I will do the 20 hour service now that I have a pump coming. Good to know tho.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'm doing the 20 hr too! It better to get any "break in" metal out of there. 100 hrs sounds good for the rest though. Thanks for the heads up tune.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-09-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Hey anyone have any worries surfing with our boats. I have done it once and just wondering about the transom speakers. I know to not just stop and let the water wash back or any of that but when I fill the surf side damn it sinks which is good. But I am just barely under the speakers just sitting there. Water in there can't be good can it? Thoughts, and I worried for nothing?

I fill surf side, and half fill front with all people on surf side. Pretty nice little (not little at all) wake. Just worried about my speakers with it. Oh usually I am about 60% give or take.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Don't worry about the speakers. They're all plastic and can withstand the elements for the most part. Even the force of the water against them during a quick stop isn't enought to do any damage.

For regular surfing we filled port full, starboard half, front full, trim tab 3/4 up. Speed varied between 10 and 12mph.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
it took 3 yrs of sun, water, sun and more sun to do in my clarion 6.5". The kickers are better made and I anticipate to blow them before the elements do anything to them.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-09-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
ah great. and thank for the setup Tuneman. I will get it dialed soon enough but now I don't have to worry about hurting the speakers.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
Hey fellow owners, what prop do you have on your Epic? I was doing my "before going out inspection" and finally remembered to write down my prop size. (in case I find a deal) I noticed the cotter pin was really rusty and it got me to thinking the previous owner of my '08 may have changed the prop. Mine is a 14.25 x 14 OJ. Thanks for the help!
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Tuneman-
Congrats on the new little one! Hope all is well!

Joe-
Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I just changed my oil last night and the oil filter that I bought from my dealer was the Quicksilver 35-866340Q03, it cost me about $10. I did call Carquest and they had it too.

FYI- My Merc manual says to use 20w-40w nmma fc-w rated full synthetic. After calling my dealer, and several other dealers, they all told me there is no oil with 20w-40 weight so I called Merc and they advised me it was a misprint and it should have said 25w-40w. Just an FYI in case you guys haven't been able to find 20-40 full synthetic.

Also, I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever so you may already know this little tip... my brother in law taught me a cool thing with the filter, before removing it, pop a hole in the top of it with a screw driver to release the air pressure and the oil drains out nicely then you don't have that oil pressure and splatter when you unscrew it.

Scott-
My transom speakers have been hammered by water, surf rope handles, kids kicking them when on the transom deck and they are still kickin' just fine. Also, for surfing, we have found that keeping the non-surf side empty and plate all the way up has been the best to get rid of that little lip/line that sometimes ripples up the wake (I don't know how else to explain it?) Anyways, just play around with it to get how you like it. Personally, I do not like that little ripple/lip and seems to be best for us with no ballast on non-surf side and plate all the way up to eliminate it.

Brian-
That is the exact stock prop that I have on mine, OJ 14.25 x 14. My cotter pin was not rusty though...
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-10-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Ice, thanks for all the info. Couple questions though.
Did you change the filter in the tranny? Is that the part number you gave me?
Did you find any 25w 40 oil? I'm not paying $50 a gallon from mercury. The closest I've found is Mobil 1 15w50 Full synth Racing oil.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-10-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
ICE - Great to hear from you again. That is all perfect information. Going out all day tomorrow so can't wait. Full 8 days since my baby has seen the water. Uggg.

Taking a week off in 7 days so will see plenty of action then.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2010, 11:38 PM Reply   
Joe-
That filter i gave you the model # to is the motor oil filter. I have not done anything with the tranny yet. I also got my 25-40w oil from my dealer too. It was the merc brand. I paid like $80 for 9 quarts, (2) gallon jugs plus one quart. You may want to just call prestige Watersports in Boise & ask Tyrell what it would take for him to ship u the filter & 9 qts of oil.

Scott-
8 days seems like an eternity this time of year, especially given the weather we've had the past 8 days in our neck of the woods...HOT! Have fun & be safe this next week!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-11-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
I know....rub it in...lol We are heading out today at 3 till dark. Wednesday again and Sunday night starts my week long lake week. God I wish it were 7 days from now.

On a side note....yesterday was the best day of the year here. No wind. 88 degrees and we took the boat to a friends to help put up trusses on a barn. Were going out at 4ish, but kept working till 8. So worked from 9am-8pm on trusses for a friend. Had my boat in his driveway since he is halfway to the lake, took the family and they swam in their pool and played all day. Him and I worked.

So boat was there, I was hot as all get out, weather was just as perfect as you can have.......
Do I win friend of the year?
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
Thanks Ice. Do you know all of the other specifics as well? I'm pretty sure it's right hand, but what about spline, cup, and all of the other things I need to know if I buy one.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Radio help.

I know nothing about kickers or audio at all. I am trying to get it so that the back speakers don't kick off. I want to put almost all the sound back there but for some reason they kick off and won't run when I do that. Has to be a set up issue. Joe, I did everything you said with all the knobs down there on the two kickers, and it sounds great when I have all speakers running, but still can't get it all back there when I Fade it back there. Just shuts down. Won't play is better term. Radio is still on just won't play.

Tryin to get it dialed in. Thanks
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Scott, Figure out which amp is for the rear. To do that, turn the radio on, go underneath and turn down the gains on one of the amps. If the rears fade, you got the right one. Before you do that, take a note of where the gains are set. I'd be willing to bet you still have them set a little high. Turn them down just a little bit from where they are. If it happens again, turn them down a little more.

The same thing happened to my inside amp. Just had it a little to high. Once you get it set right, it'll sound sweet and you won't have any more problems.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
OK so it is the gains then...just turn them down.

So turn on the radio, Fade it all the way to the back so all sound is coming from transom, and play with the gains until I hear sound?
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Sorry man I just am not an Audio guy...lol.... although I was very proud of myself for dealing with the muffler issue. It went awesome, and went out last night for first time with it. Rattle on starboard side, flapper tho. Small and can't hear at all when going only when hatch is up at startup on dock. No biggie.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
My non pro suggestion with gains - have them set NO MORE than 3/4. The rear amp will have the most hook ups on it, so I have seen in the past. I have an easier way to find the amp, but it may not be the best. Turn the stereo on, volume set to a modest level, go in the hold, unplug the RCA cables to one amp and that way you know which is which. Hope it makes sense to you.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Yes I think so.... I have alot of them into the first one (one closest to the hatch) and not so many in the back one (furthest and deepest in there). I will get it I am sure. I have a couple people I can ask here for help just like to learn this stuff and you guys are great helping guys like me. I think I have alot of them set at 1/4 gains already. I know this system can rock, and be all in the back all for the rider. That is really what I am looking for. Do I need to do anything on the radio itself to adjust anything? That is where I fade it all the way back to the transom speakers I know...so thought maybe had a setting or something for back there. lol Damn I am a rookie...!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-12-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
The best way to set the gains on the amps is to do the following:

1. Make sure the radio is set to flat EQ (ie, the low, high, mids, should all be a 0 db, don't add or subtract any dB from them)
2. Unplug the RCA's from both amps. Then crank the radio to as loud as it can get. I think the level reads at 32 if I recall.
3. Take 85% of max volume( 85% of 32 is approx 27). Any volume level above this will distort the music, so NEVER crank the radio above this level!!
4. Turn the radio back down and plug the RCA's back into the in boat amp only. Leave the transom amp unplugged. Turn the gains on the in boat amp to 0.
5. Now turn the radio up to the max level found in step 3 (27)
6. Slowly turn the gains on the amp up(speaker gains, keep the subwoofer gains at 0. you will adjust them later). Keep going until you can hear the speakers start to distort. Once you hear them begin to distort, turn the gain down just a tad so they are no longer distorting. This is as loud as your speakers are ever going to SAFELY get.
7. Now unplug the in boat amplifier and plug in the transom amp. Turn the gains on the transom amp to 0, and crank the radio to 27. Repeat the procedure you did for the in boat speakers. Turn up the gains until the speakers start to distort(again keep the sub gain at 0 as you will adjust this later). Turn the gain down just a tad so they are no longer distorting. This is as loud as the transom is ever going to SAFELY get.
8. Mark the positions of all the gains on both of the amps. It's time to do this same sort of adjustment for the subwoofer gains on each amp.
9. With only 1 amp plugged in at a time, turn the speaker gains all the way to 0 as well as the sub gain. Now crank the radio to 27. Leave the speakers gains OFF and slowly increase the subwoofer gains. Keep increasing the gain until you hear the subwoofer distort. Once it does turn the sub gain down just a touch, this is your max gain position for the subwoofer. Now return your speaker gains to where you found they should be from the previous step. This gain settings for this amp are complete. Do the same for the other amp.

Now that you have the gains correct you can go ahead and play around with crossover dials until you get the music to sound to your liking. Now remember 27 is the highest you should ever crank the radio. At this level you are now maxed out for your speaker setup. Turn it up any louder and you are going to start wrecking your speakers and distorting the music.

Hope this helps a bit more!
Nic
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Scott, I was thinking more about your problem. Well Nic beat me to it. 27 is the magic number. Anything over that and you start to introduce a ton of distortion from the head unit. I told all my friends that 25 was the number. It's a nice easy number to remember.

If your going past 27, that could easily be your problem. I usually don't go past 20, and it's plenty loud. Not Nic's boat loud, but loud enough to make me happy.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
lol..ummmm ok.... hmmm where to start with that post Nic.

I understand it somewhat. I get that you are trying to find a top end on everything to find the best sound. How you are doing it, a bit fuzzy but I am not sitting in my boat. I will look. I think my main issue is I have no idea which Amp is to what speakers. I do have some of the plus DBs on the radio so that right there is making it mess up I am sure. I will make those zero again.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I will keep you posted thanks for the help man really.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Brian-
I do not know any of the other specs on the prop, sorry man.

All-
I lost my anchor last weekend trying to set it. Anyone know exactly what make/model/size our anchors are? I know they are pretty simple cast iron, nothing too special, just want to ensure I get one that fits our anchor holder correctly.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball147 View Post
Hey fellow owners, what prop do you have on your Epic? I was doing my "before going out inspection" and finally remembered to write down my prop size. (in case I find a deal) I noticed the cotter pin was really rusty and it got me to thinking the previous owner of my '08 may have changed the prop. Mine is a 14.25 x 14 OJ. Thanks for the help!

Nope that's the stock prop.

14.25 x 14 OJ. No spline. 1 1/8" shaft, RH.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Had the same problem at about 20 hrs Ran the boat that way for another 80 hrs because we didnt have time for the fix. Just had the Baffle's replaced a few weeks ago and all the rattling noise's are gone now and it is purring like it should.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-12-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
Baffle issue sucks. They have it solved at the factory now I think. Joe has a great fix.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
Scott, I'm glad you removed your muffler too. Now that you ran your boat, and you haved little or no noise, I'm almost positive the noise is my flappers. I'm going to investigate a little more. Could someone without and FAE take a look at there flappers and maybe take a pic for me? I know the flappers are metal, but I can't remember if theres any rubber in there at all. I just don't know what else it could be.

Last edited by joesell; 07-12-2010 at 6:24 PM.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 10:09 PM Reply   
Fred, you're my new hero. Thanks a bunch!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
Hey Joe, if you can wait a day or two longer I can take a picture for you next time I am at my boat.

Scott, Print my instructions out then go to your boat and start. They should make sense when you are looking at everything. Pulling the RCA cables out of each amp is an easy way to figure out which amp is which.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-13-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
Yeah I will Nic. That is a good idea. I will print them today at work and take them home. Joe, I am pretty sure they have a black rim of rubber, but I am 100% positive that is what I hear. Reason I know is prior to putting the FAE on I messed with them. I flipped them and heard the sound they make and it is exact. I wanted to do that to #1 hear them just in case and #2 see if there was a way to take them off. I didn't find a way which is why I left them on. I can pinpoint mine to the starboard side flapper. It is minor and when running I can't hear it at all. Only hear it when I start the engine with the compartment open.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-13-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
Nic, Thanks, I'm not in a big hurry so that will be perfect.

Scott, That's how I remembered them too. I think the rubber must've come off mine cause there really loud. I'm sure they were making noise before the FAE, but the 8.1 is so loud I couldn't hear them.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-13-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Joe, honestly I think you may have to cut them out if you want them out.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-13-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
That doesn't scare me at all
Old    ScottRobinson            07-13-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
LOL didn't figure.

Hey do I need to order that engine oil and filters from NAPA?

Ok Joe, stupid question but what oil...I can't find it anywhere on this post and I swear I read it somewhere. Also just post everything for me if you would

Oil weight and where to get it?
Oil Filter numbers and where you got it?
Tranny anything and where you got it?

What to change in the 20 hour mark and what to tighten?

lol Sorry brother. Got a full week next week on the lake with my buddy and have to get this all here if I have to order some of this stuff.

Last edited by ScottRobinson; 07-13-2010 at 7:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
I use 15w 40 fully synthetic. Amsoil is what I run right now.

Scott - I know you read your manual, what does Merc say? You should also have a maintenance guide in there.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-13-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
No doubt scott, can't be down whe we need to RIDE!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
IF the flappers are causing that much noise, you can coat them with "Liquid Electrical Tape". They sell it a Wal Mart now. It is a non porous elastomer that bonds well to rubber and plastic but not so well to smooth steel. Perhaps rough the steel with a Red Scotch Brite pad and then apply the coating to desired thickness. IF the rattle is coming from flapper/exhaust port contact. If it is rattle of the hinges, I would try some marine grade bearing grease that resists washing out, pack it in there really well and that may help.

I would hesitate removing the flappers. God forbid you hydrolock your engine and insurance denies your claim due to the lack of flappers. Yes I understand the mechanics of water traveling uphill but I also know it is the insurance adjusters job to look after the customer but first priority is look out for the company that issues his paycheck.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-13-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
What's the best vinyl cleaner? My buddies board shorts had a red stripe on them that left behind some red on the driver's seat. Tried fantastic and spray nine so far and nothing. I want to try babe's, but unless I know for sure it will work, I'd rather buy something locally, shipping to Canada is worth as much as the order, and no one sells babe's here.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Fred-

We use Exquisite and really like it. It cleans very well and doesnt leave an 'oily' or slick feeling behind. I know it's a popular choice for a lot of us on WW. We also use babes seat saver after cleaning with Exquisite for a nice 1-2 punch. I have only been able to find Exquisite on eBay or from time to time, the lady who owns Exquisite will run specials here on WW for the stuff. YOu may want to send her a message via ebay and see if she can work out a deal for you to ship to Canada. Below are a couple of links-

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=exq...286.m270.l1313

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...567&page=99999

That being said, it sounds like your red stain isn't your average stain and may need a dose of the 'hard stuff'. The following is what we use for those 'tough' stains that just won't come out. This stuff is NOT recommended for use on all of your vinyl, only spot cleaning on those tough stains. I also would not suggest using it on your seams or exposed threads. It's called Quick Dry Electric cleaner and can be found at most automotive parts stores-

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CDIQrQQwAg

One thing you may want to try that we also use for stains is Melaluca 'Sol-u-mel'...Don't worry, I won't try sign you up to join Melaluca, we just buy the stuff, I am not a 'distributor' or 'sales rep' for Melaluca All that I know is that Sol-u-mel takes all kinds of stains out of stuff! If you have a friend or family member who is a Melaluca rep, you may want to ask them for some to try before trying the Quick Dry Electric cleaner...

Good luck

Last edited by usostyle; 07-13-2010 at 8:46 PM. Reason: i left out some key info on prev post
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-14-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
Fred, Before you do anything else, try waiting a few weeks. The stain might just fade away in the sun. (you guys have sunshine in Canada, right?) I had a shorts stain in my last boat. I went away all by itself, without all the harsh chemicals.

I tell everyone, wash your new suits before you come out.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have all of the Babes products and I too have a small red stain on one of my seats. Nothing took it out. It is, as Joe said, fading with time in the sun.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-14-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Took the tarp off today to clean and its already almost faded. Will look into buying something for the next stain for sure.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Finally got my wind dam made. I am mounting mine at an angle that follows the seat line rather than straight up and down. Should look pretty sweet. Hope to have it mounted and take some pictures this weekend.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Also, anyone besides Joe and I have a wet sounds 420 eq? If so I am wondering if you could play some music in your boat, then with the music playing plug in some headphones to the aux out jack on the back of the 420. When I do so on mine, my in boat volume drops by 50-75%. I am trying to pipe the music playing off my stereo out of the aux out port and to a line driver and then onto 2 other boats. However, I am unable to do so as the audio in my boat drops a ton.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Nice to see all the "new generation" Epics out there.

Many of you out there attacked me on these forums for being critical about the early Epics to hit the water.

I will say... all of the Epics in my neck of the woods are very problematic... due to the poor construction and quality of assembly by the company I arranged to build the first round of Epics...

Katana has since stopped building boats and is now importing "damaged" boats... rebuilding them and selling them locally.

Well... all I can say... is I am glad to see my "favorite" boat out there on the market and the numbers are growing every day!!!

For those that were all over me for my early comments... I was just being honest... I knew things about the boat that you wouldn't have known about...

Congrats!!!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-22-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Thanks man. Just a few minor issues on my 09. Love the boat.

Snapped a quick phone pic at the cove last weekend.

Last edited by _vitty_; 07-22-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-22-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Also, any of you that use your bimini....
Does it seem like the rear inserts that the short poles snap up into should be mounted differently? I have a heck of a time snapping mine in there. Seems like the inserts should be mounted tilted slightly inwards to put less stress on the little black piece of plastic on that short pole
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
All the black mounts on the Bimini frame itself are adjustable. It requires a mini flathead screwdriver. You will/may need to make minor adjustments to the mounts to allow for less or zero bind.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Sorry to rehash an old topic, but I don't get on here very often any more.

If you have the stock stereo system, just turn the gains all the way down on both amps and set your sub crossover levels to around 90hz. It should sound great all the way up to 30 then. A gain is not a volume, but just used for matching the volume level of your HU to your amp. So, if you have a HU that goes up to 30 and you're distorting at 25, your gains are set a bit high. You should be able to set your HU to it's maximum volume and just be on the verge of distortion but not distorting.

If set that way, you'll minimize the chances of blowing a speaker. Especially for the transom speakers, because you can't hear them in the boat!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-24-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I am back again. I now have 20 hours on the boat from 6.8 hours a week ago. Seems like all I have done is ride for a week, which was great. I took a week off work and hung out at the lake with a buddy from here. (Darrin, you da man on a wakeboard man) Anyway, just thought I would update everyone on some progress. I have the sound now pretty darn good with all your help. It did take some tweaking but I think we finally have it where I like it. I use my bimini EVERY time out and don't seem to have issues with the back two pieces. I actually like them. I do need to tighten the front a bit as I have an inch of play it seems in the front to nylon cords.

Still not a fan of the center ice chest. (Before I bought the boat I thought this was almost the best part of the boat) We just can't seem to use it like we should. We load up in the house and just hate unloading and loading it down so....we use a cooler still and it fits perfect under the drivers feet so it works for us.

I am asking for more foam flooring to start my next mod on the boat. I am going to replace the drivers side carpet with foam and also put foam on the thick rails on the sides of the boat. (My kids make me do back flips every time I get off the boat, sorta a rule that Dad does a flip if I want off the boat) So, I am going to line both sides with that foam. I am also going to give some thought to making one of the surf lockers foam and maybe even a corner seat for a step. Winter projects.

I love this boat. I can't say enough good things about it. I filled all ballast this week and Darrin rode it and it is CRAZY BIG !!!!! HE is very very very good at wakeboarding and we had to go 24.5 mph and it was over his hips. He said "I am not usually worried about anything in wakeboarding, but that was just intense to ride" So...wow it was nuts and no way could you pay me to go out there!!

Joe again thank for all the help man. I am going to consider adding weight to the surf side to make it bigger, but we did a ton of surfing and had a very good wave to ride. I, like many of you, just want it bigger! lol So lookin to add some weight. Talk with you guys later.

Scott
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Scott,
Talk to Fred on here. I think it was him who was planning on making custom foam pads for the side rails for some grip. He wanted more people to get in on though I think to make it cost less. Glad you got the stereo working better.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-25-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Nic, will do. I am in talks with Karen at Epic to get some padding. I want it to match the foam in the floor and swim step. Should be pretty cool when I am done, assuming I do it right.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
I would love to get a chance to ride behind one of these Epics. I should be in the market soon for a new boat and these are high on my list right now. I live in East Tennessee. Are there any Epic owners out there that would be willing to give me a pull? I would be willing to travel to an extent of course. Let me know! Thanks!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-25-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
I think of all of us I am the closest to you. Indiana, one hour north of Indianapolis.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Mike G you could probably get a hold of Billy Smith of smiths enterprise(www.smithsenterprise.com). If you would like his contact info let me know. He is an epic dealer out of north carolina. He would almost surely give you a pull. He is the dealer I bought through along with a couple others on here. That is probably your closest bet.

I was in the same boat you were in last fall when I was looking to purchase. I went with an Epic sight unseen and I have not been disappointed in the least. Best purchase I have made hands down. The boat rocks, puts out a solid wake, and gets looks everywhere it goes.

Nic