Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-22-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
First, I read the other thread looking for a beginner board but didn't look like the question really got answered.

I'm looking for a good universal board, mainly for me at 6'1 210 lbs. The few times I have surfed, it was on a Hyperlite Coex and I never could find the sweet spot. I'd like to spend between $200 - $400.

My price range probably eliminates all the true wakesurf brands...and I guess my other question is why are LF or Hyperlite boards so bad? I notice this across the board when you get into each sport. With wakeskating, if you don't ride an Integrity, it's not legit. In wakeboarding, you need to ride Company or Slingshot now. I get supporting smaller, homegrown brands but can't afford to do that right now. Thanks for any help.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-22-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2001 View Post
First, I read the other thread looking for a beginner board but didn't look like the question really got answered.

I'm looking for a good universal board, mainly for me at 6'1 210 lbs. The few times I have surfed, it was on a Hyperlite Coex and I never could find the sweet spot. I'd like to spend between $200 - $400.

My price range probably eliminates all the true wakesurf brands...and I guess my other question is why are LF or Hyperlite boards so bad? I notice this across the board when you get into each sport. With wakeskating, if you don't ride an Integrity, it's not legit. In wakeboarding, you need to ride Company or Slingshot now. I get supporting smaller, homegrown brands but can't afford to do that right now. Thanks for any help.
Beginner boards I would suggest are (1) used Inland Surfer Blue Lake (great for 175lbs - 220lbs guys) or (2) a new Inland Surfer Squirt Tri-Fin. Once you progress to a more advanced board, either of these will also make a great boat board for your crew.

Why true wakesurf brands: They honestly make a better surf board. You will be able to tell a huge difference when you get on one. They may be a little more money, but you will ride them longer and be able to resale them for more.

FYI - finding the sweet spot has just as much to do with riding/surf wake as it does with the board you are on. Any pics of your surf wake or you riding? I am sure people would chime in and help out with comments/suggestions.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-22-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Liquid Force, Hyperlite or CWB boards are fine wakesurf boards. They might not be as quick as a high end board but until you are completely hooked on wakesurfing they get the job done. We started on a CWB Ride board and now have advanced to the high performance boards but we still keep the Ride on our boat for the beginner to intermediate riders and also for the riders over 200#.

Try and get something at least 5' long for your weight.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-22-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'm 6'1 and 225, I ride this and love it. It's big so you'll be able to learn, but it also can do some advanced riding too

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...AUK/2809.0.1.1
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-22-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
For under $400 the Inland Surfer Squirt is the best board out for all around general purpose.

And about if you dont have an Integrity wakeskate your not a legit wakeskater is crazy. I ride an Integrity and believe they are the best out there, but there are a bunch of good brands out there like Remote and Goodwood. Hyperlite, Byerly, LF, and CWB just don't happen to make a good board, and their wood boards will generally self destruct from just cruising without ever touching a rail. That is why people recommend staying away from those brands.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-22-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
x2 what Lakesurfer and Mitch have shared.

I have both boards. I love the Bluelake its probably my most favorite and its really forgiving and not so easy to pearl. I would check and see if you can pick one up used. You cant go wrong with the Squirt to. I like being able to swapp out fins or take some out for the looser feel of a skim. For the price, the Squirt makes an excellent board for newbies to thrash/trash But Id take the Bluelake first
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-22-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
jkw - actually just picked up the boat at the end of this season, 98 Tige, and put it right into storage (hence the budget!)...so I'll be trying to figure out the best weight setup as I'm learning how to surf next season. When you said "ride them longer" do you mean they are better material and last longer or they take less effort so you can literally ride longer?

mitch - I get what you're saying and you usually offer solid advice. But I think you're more into wakeskating and therefore want that highest quality brand. I picked up a Hyperlite scape to try skating...yea its a junk board and is falling apart from minimal use, but thats about as much as I use it so I'm ok with that.

JS - thanks for the info

Matt - what do you mean by pearl?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-22-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2001 View Post
jkw - actually just picked up the boat at the end of this season, 98 Tige, and put it right into storage (hence the budget!)...so I'll be trying to figure out the best weight setup as I'm learning how to surf next season. When you said "ride them longer" do you mean they are better material and last longer or they take less effort so you can literally ride longer?

Matt - what do you mean by pearl?
Pearl: step to far forward on the board and the nose will dive into the water.

"ride them longer": as your skills grow, you will still love these boards. In addition, I have found that these board are better made and faster. So they last (but obviously be careful) and are less work to ride.

I learned to ride to summers ago and the 1st two boards I bought were IS Blue Lake (which was a little big for me at 155lbs) IS Pearl (skim). But find the best board you can that fits in your budget. There are a lot of good used boards you can find (check out towanza.com for example). I have also found CenturionCrew.com to have good used boards.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-23-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Mike, The Bluelake would do you excellent for your weight. When I was first learning it took me a while to figure how not to pearl it on my broadcast (nose dive, submerge, submarine it ) It was night and day between my Hyper broadcast and Bluelake, when I jumped on the Blue I was kicking myself for feeling like I had wasted so much time on my Broadcast LOL I know it all comes down to budget, but Id try to score the Bluelake first.

The Squrit is more willing to pearl than the blue, but that squirt is great for the coin.

Last edited by duramat; 11-23-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-23-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
i am 6'2 215 pounds.... I first learned on a IS Squirt... I absolutely loved that board... long story short my wife went out for a cruise and forgot the board was up there and I haven't seen it since... still wish I had that board... I got a Shred stixx xtreme and I don't like it as much as I liked the squirt

I am prolly going to be selling the shred stixx to get one of IS's new boards
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-23-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
I like the Phase 5 Razz for a universal board. I am 240 and other riders as light as 90 have used it as well. It is very quick, but it does not buck you as quickly as some boards will.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-23-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
@Mike

I think Mitch see the same thing happen all the time.Guy or Gal says he/she wants to try wake surfing. He/she buys a wakeboard brand and enjoys it for a few weeks. He/she has now spent around $300 and he or she wants more. Then they start looking at the better boards and wish they would have bought more. Try some before you buy.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-29-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsv211 View Post
@Mike

I think Mitch see the same thing happen all the time.Guy or Gal says he/she wants to try wake surfing. He/she buys a wakeboard brand and enjoys it for a few weeks. He/she has now spent around $300 and he or she wants more. Then they start looking at the better boards and wish they would have bought more. Try some before you buy.
Roger - been wakeboarding long enough to know the value in trying before buying, unfotunately with where I live, there is only one board shop in the area and I think they only carry the typical big brands. Thats why I'm really trying to push to get the best info on these smaller dedicated brands. Someone else pointed out a thread on Centurion's site with people giving a review of their boards, very helpful.
Old     (Tommy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-29-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
If your a big guy and want to cruise, the new Duke by Ronix is the way to go. We also do customs. We have three real surfers on board. Fins, fin placement, rocker, width and the rails as well as thickness make a board so learn your basics before you buy. Our shop demos boards as well as a performance guarantee. Most of us can not afford to throw money away. Peace.

Tommy Phillips
Tommy's
www.gettommys.com
Old     (hmmm)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-04-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
first off, integrity is not the only good wakeskate brand. check your sources. for beginers on a wakesurf a good board is the inland surfer "squirt" the graphics are pretty bad.. but its a good stable ride for the whole family.. and a great price.

thats what i think..

and a big part is your wake. and skill level. don't blame your board until you have the right wake setup.
Old     (gracenface)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-04-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
shredd stixxxx are the best! especially the new models. yeah they feel a little weird at first, but once you get used to them you wont ever go back!