Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-30-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
We have decided to upgrade out boat from a inboard/outboard Bayliner to a V-Drive boat of some kind... still looking. However i have a couple questions.... The lake that i'm at is fairly shallow and i'm wondering what kind of depth the bottom part of the boat would be at while wakesurfing?? Wakesurfing is one the things i want to do a lot of... got a chance to try it behind a friends Wakesetter VLX and man is that fun!! Our lake has a lot of rocks so i'm a little nervous about that. Average depth where i go usually is around 13ft.

On a side note it is absolutely mindboggling the amount of choices that are out there for V-Drive boats!!! quite overwhelming....

Geoff
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-30-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Good luck choosing. We begin to notice size issues when we get in less than 12 feet and have concluded it is pretty much useless to try to surf in less than 8 or 9' of depth in our boat. 13' will not be a problem.

Last edited by bmartin; 07-30-2010 at 9:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
13ft you'll be fine.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-30-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
if you're at 13ft, I think you may have sunk
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
I don't know what you have in mind but I have upgraded this one a lot and keep adding stuff. I have new rims, tires, and winch on the way now. I just installed the monster cargo bimini and fulton f2 jack also. Also upgraded the prop the the new OJ fusion edge and added the seadeck pad to the swim deck. It also has upgraded stereo system and graphics package. Let me know if you are interested.

Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-30-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
that is a sweet boat.... i have to sell mine first or if i haven't sold it by the end of the season then i'll look at trading it off instead... way better for me if it sells privately though!!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-30-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
You will not be sorry getting out of the I/O into a V-drive. There is a learning curve especially in reverse and when docking but, once you get used to it you will love it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
TO ANSWER YOU DEPTH QUESTION. you can probably get by with 5'to6' of water without worring about hitting bottom. wakeboarders like to have at least 10' of water surfers prefer more the deeper the water the bigger the wake.
Old     (moneypit)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-30-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I don't know what you have in mind but I have upgraded this one a lot and keep adding stuff. I have new rims, tires, and winch on the way now. I just installed the monster cargo bimini and fulton f2 jack also. Also upgraded the prop the the new OJ fusion edge and added the seadeck pad to the swim deck. It also has upgraded stereo system and graphics package. Let me know if you are interested.

Nice looking Supra. I would look into it if practical for me.
Supra's are a sweet Inboard.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you want to buy new, and you're on a budget, check out the Axis lineup. I've ridden behind the A22 and A20 and loved both boats. I've also owned several new nautique 230's, an older mastercraft XStar (205v hull), and an '07 VLX. I enjoyed all of those boats. Just make sure you test drive and ride behind many boats before you pull the trigger. You're going to love any vdrive you test when coming from your current boat, but there are very noticable and practical differences between various vdrives. You really need to spend some time in various boats to hone in on what boat fits your needs the best and suits your riding style.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
Well... that was a heck of a lot faster that i expected!!!! Sold my boat this weekend, got what i was asking for to... kinda feels nice to... the boat is going to a young family that has 5 kids so i know that it's going to get used lots. Kind of having anxiety right now tho... not having a boat to be in!!! lol!! As for test driving all kinds of diff. boats, it's not really an option as i live way out in the boonies so i'm going to do a lot of research and rely on people on here as well... I've been behind a 2003 Wakesetter VLX with the wake hull and loved it... docking is a BIG adjustment for sure but not to bad

Geoff
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-03-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Well we are here to help but we are probably going to need some more info before we can really help. What size boat are you looking for? What is your price range? Is wakeboarding or wake surfing more important? I am guessing wake surfing based on your original post. Are you going to store the boat in a standard size garage etc....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-03-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
go to a boat show to get an idea what you like. if buying used try only inboards and boat trader also ebay and craigs list but watch out for scams and get boat checked by marine mechanic.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Bruizza -- here are my search parameters....
Budget -- 40K Canadian so about 35-38 USD
Preferences -- wakesurfing, wakeboarding
Year Range -- 2003 to as new as i can get

Options
Ballast , tower speakers & lights, board racks, perfect pass, bimini top

of course depending on the boat i'd be willing to deal with adding options after the fact but i'd refer to be able to "plug and play" so to speak.

Boat has to be a V-Drive -- no compromise on that one

Geoff
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-03-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Is there not many in your area? If you are going to travel in order to get it, just use craiglook, or look here on the classifieds or on onlyinboards...which I can only imagine you've done???

I come up with TONS in that price range.

Regarding speakers and lights on the tower...That is a super simple upgrade for a few grand if the right boat comes without them. I'd pay more attention to condition of everything than just getting all the easy to add stuff. Perfect pass is also nice, but I just added Stargazer to my boat - spent about 2 hours hanging out in the boat before the season started installing it myself. About a grand, and super easy to install.

Ballast systems is probably something I would pay attention to, as they are fairly involved in installing (since you can't just buy a "kit" normally).
Old    alanp            08-03-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
ive wakeboarded in 4-5 ft of water. never had any issues albeit the wake is a little smaller. just get your draft info for your boat
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
TC .... ya i'm on only inboards about 20 times a day lol.... The ballast was the most important as i'd really prefer not to have to install that stuff myself... as for the other stuff your right .. it's an easier install afterwards.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
well that didn't take long... i picked up a 2005 Moomba Mobius LSV from Edmonton for 26K, it doesn't have perfect pass or a heater but it has everything else so i'm really happy... the weather finally smartened up enough that i was able to ride behind it last night. woohooo so much fun!!!
Attached Images

Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-16-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nice Looking boat!!! good price too.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-16-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
nice looking new ride. congrats!
Old     (airzemee)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-16-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Hey! congrats on the new boat man! hope you've been getting out lots with it! i just bought a new boat too, though nothing like yours, I got a old ski nautique. Where do you put in on long lake? I am from Regina and put all over that lake. Wee Too Beach or Saskatchewan Beach usually.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
you bet... we have a cabin up at the north end in the regional park. I've been getting out as much as the weather will allow which isn't to much right now!!

Geoff